blacksmithing work station (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gofast

SILVER Star
Threads
Thought I'd post up my latest creation. As mentioned elsewhere I'm slowly accumulating the tools I need to start smithing. Still haven't figured out the forge but I'm leaning towards natural gas as that's what I heat the shop with.

When you're pounding on metal, the force of blows cause a vise to rotate down. Old time post vises, or also known as leg vises, or sometimes blacksmith vises are designed with a leg that transfers the shock of the hammer blow into the ground or floor.

I just finished making a stand for my post vise:

Vise%201_zpsz738z7bd.jpg

Vise%202_zpsx82nngmv.jpg

Vise%203_zpsbbvmrosr.jpg

I used 1/2" plate on the floor and decided to cut it round so that I can roll the vise from location to location. The pedestal is made from 5.5" 1/4 wall square tubing (box tubing). If the vise moves around lots when I start using it, I'll fill the pedestal with sand. I mounted the pedestal further back so that my own weight standing on the plate will keep it stationary when I'm working. Worst case I drill holes in the plate and insert some anchors into my floor.

I also used some left over pipe to cut the rounds for my various hammers and tongs to hang from etc. The rebar at the back also serves to hang tongs but is a convenient handle to help move the vice.

The vise is interesting itself. Its spring is in good shape and the 5.5" jaws look like they have never been worked. However the box on the back is modified. It has a section of pipe welded to a massive nut. This pipe protects the threads of the screw. Most that I have seen have a fancy finished box - not a piece of pipe - works great though and has about a 6 inch opening.

Last edited:
Nice job John, you never cease to amaze me! I hope you have understanding neighbours with all the hammering!

Thanks for the comments. One day Mat I might know enough to answer some questions - definitely want to try making my own Damascus blades.

The Okanagan is a terrible place to get good steel. When, I'm down for Crusier days I'm heading to Metal Mart for some steel that will allow me to make a few more tools. Looking for old leaf springs, coil springs, and axle shafts. Old files, hammers, demolition bits and other hardened steel can be remade and reheat treated ---anyone want to donate?

I'm doing an anvil stand next and its legs will be filled with Sand. It not only provides weight to keep things stable but also takes the ring out of the anvil and quiets everything down, Neighbours will be happier I'm sure.

John - call John at ATEB and Steve EBI they must have old springs, axles and related parts that you are after.They might bring them to Cruiser Days for you .

:clap::clap::clap:

Nothing else to add, you know what I think about Smithing.

gb

John - call John at ATEB and Steve EBI they must have old springs, axles and related parts that you are after.They might bring them to Cruiser Days for you .

Great idea - I also want old timing chains

These were made from timing chains
chaincriollos1.jpg

Wow, that is beautiful. If you can pull that off I'm on the waiting list ;)
Shame I ended up scrapping the old engine and parts from the pickup build, there was a bunch of things in there that would have been better served as blacksmithing practice. I still have a few things I should be able to donate. Interested in tool steel? I have a few pieces I kept from being thrown out when I was a millwright: CNC milling machine spindle and tool plate, a large diameter rod that might be hard chromed.

Wow, that is beautiful. If you can pull that off I'm on the waiting list ;)
Interested in tool steel? I have a few pieces I kept from being thrown out when I was a millwright: CNC milling machine spindle and tool plate, a large diameter rod that might be hard chromed.

Absolutely please Mat!

Tool steel is the hardest to find. I can order it or wander the scrap yards guessing and as I start to learn, I imagine it will take a bit to make something useful. As you know the higher the carbon content the better the steel (generally) and the longer you can keep an edge.

I just traded a case of beer to the local tool rental shop for their old demolition hammer bits. Everybody was happy and this will become a standing arrangement.

I have some old output shafts from my rover days that should work well too.

Set the wheels in motion for getting pricing on forge burners today. I'll becoming down early for cruiser days - have to pick up the necessary supplies to finish building the forge

Look forward to talking more about this with you at Cruiser Days! :beer:

Fantastic!

no timing chain but would you like some unimog coil springs? they usually measure around 30 mm on the big end and true german steel.

Please!!! These can be hardened and tempered. I chopped up my last set of 80 series springs just to make tie downs. If I knew then I was going to go down the black smith route I would have saved them. There's enough steel in a coil to make several tools.

ok no problem. i may have some 80 series springs too. would you like them as well? btw do you have room to take all the junk back?:p

I'll bring some tubs. Was hoping not to tow this time. I'll pass on the 80 coils as I have access to these when I swap the suspension on my next build.

Last edited:
I have used buck shot in handle bars for vibration dampening, works wonders for shock . Hit up Powell street scrap yard (capital salvage ) they get tons of high grade clean stock all the time , from foundry to hospital. ABC traders in Richmond is the stainless and aluminum place especially if your into bilit stock..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom