Black Flame Customs ? HID retrofit into OEM headlight buckets re:08-11 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

studawg

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone had any experience with these guys? blackflamecustoms.com I need to upgrade my 16 year old headlights in my Excursion and took a dive down the rabbit hole of lighting. Heard about these guys on the Ford forum. Its expensive, but it looks like a nice, factory-look option. Might be a good option for the 2008-2011 200 series guys, and Im also thinking about them for my 80. I just dont like the way most of the aftermarket headlights look. Most of them just look tacky to me.

To give an example, these are for the 01-04 Super Duty/Excursion. Nice and clean, no funky halos or LEDs. Just an HID projector in a blacked out factory bucket. Could also do chrome bucket and it would be almost indecipherable from a factory headlight from 10 feet away, until you turn them on of course.

BFC#2.jpg

Bad news is they are $1000, but Im actually considering it for my Excursion, and possibly my 80. You can select different type of HIDs, projectors, paint colors, tint, etc....

I see all types of aftermarket headlights for sale, but they are made in China and fit and finish is questionable. They also seem to be LED projectors, or HIDs in a halogen bucket, neither of which are ideal combinations when it comes to lighting, from what Ive been reading. These are actually HID bulbs behind a quality projector in a factory housing. Just like the 13+ LC, the LXs, etc.

I know nothing about lighting, so Im posting here to get others thoughts.

Heres a link to the Toyotas that they've done......BFC gallery Toyota (No LCs yet of course)

Looks like they've done some nice setups. Definitely worth looking into. You should also give theretrofitsource a call. They are over in Atlanta so it could be a lot more convenient for you. They have everything in house you could want for proper retrrofits just like BFC. They've been in that game longer than anyone and I've been real happy with all of the parts I've gotten from them. (I have their bi-xenon FX-R stage III projector retrofit kit in my 100 series.)

Definitely stay away from the eBay turnkey housings etc.

Looks like they've done some nice setups. Definitely worth looking into. You should also give theretrofitsource a call. They are over in Atlanta so it could be a lot more convenient for you. They have everything in house you could want for proper retrrofits just like BFC. They've been in that game longer than anyone and I've been real happy with all of the parts I've gotten from them. (I have their bi-xenon FX-R stage III projector retrofit kit in my 100 series.)

Definitely stay away from the eBay turnkey housings etc.
Well I just called them. So you just purchased one of the universal retrofit kits and built them into your factory housing?

Not worth the money for your 200 series, might as well get a set of 2013-2015 HID headlights or even better get the UAE spec with proper DRL LEDS. Pretty easy to find the USA spec ones used on eBay for $225-$300 each.

UAE Spec:

8118560F30 Toyota UNIT ASSY, HEADLAMP, LH Price: 635.32$, Weight: 6.258kg - PartSouq - Auto Parts Around the World
8114560F30 Toyota UNIT ASSY, HEADLAMP, RH Price: 635.32$, Weight: 6.245kg - PartSouq - Auto Parts Around the World

I've done retrofits on my old 100 series and Tundra, its pretty simple and not something I would pay someone else to do.

Not worth the money for your 200 series, might as well get a set of 2013-2015 HID headlights or even better get the UAE spec with proper DRL LEDS. Pretty easy to find the USA spec ones used on eBay for $225-$300 each.

UAE Spec:

8118560F30 Toyota UNIT ASSY, HEADLAMP, LH Price: 635.32$, Weight: 6.258kg - PartSouq - Auto Parts Around the World
8114560F30 Toyota UNIT ASSY, HEADLAMP, RH Price: 635.32$, Weight: 6.245kg - PartSouq - Auto Parts Around the World

I've done retrofits on my old 100 series and Tundra, its pretty simple and not something I would pay someone else to do.

But I doubt the 13-15 headlights are just a simple bolt in swap to the 08-11?

Yeah Im thinking about just buying the kit for $300 and doing it myself. How do you get the housing open? Bake in oven? What temp? How long?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom