Black Diesel? Used Vegetable Oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Hello everyone!
I have a 1980 Land Cruiser HJ45 pickup. I believe the engine is an H.
Have been reading about black diesel, used vegetable oil from restaurants,etc.

Frustrating all the conflicting information: some people say it works fine, other say it will destroy the engine or injectors, others say half and half...

What confuses me is that the diesel was originally designed, at least from what I have read, to run on peanut oil. So why would used vegetable oil be an issue, especially if filtered?

What about "black diesel"? I have heard of people running used engine oil/transmission fluid, etc. successfully. However, I can see this option being the problematic one.

Someone made this comment about the used veggie oil:

"I know a true horror story involving a Mercedes Vario going from Germany to India too long for typing. Messed up lube oil, destroyed bearings & pistons etc. Lube oil turned to jelly."

My idea was something like a 50/50 mix of filtered veggie oil and diesel. Or maybe two tanks: start the vehicle on diesel, once warm switch to the veggie oil/mix, then last few miles back to the diesel. Short runs around town mainly on diesel.

I have heard my engine is as simple as it gets, but don't want to destroy it-even though I'd like to swap in a 2H eventually.

Thanks!

Last edited:
very small particulate, water, additives, acidity, carbon deposits and jelling are your biggest issues.
centrifuge will take care of dirty oils, jelling happens with veggie at low temps, all will be a bit of a dirtier burn, some fuel lines dont like veggie oil, thicker oils will make your pump and injectors sad......
that being said i run a half gallon of virgin canola mixed with 2 stroke oil, anti jell, kerosene and some seafoam as a diesel lube 😁 in every tank

you CAN burn alot of oils in these trucks but the more quantity/diesel you do the more chance of you messing something up.
if centrifuged, water separated/filtered, acidity checked, veggie warmed and using a sensible ratio per diesel fuel you will have very few issues
i believe IDI diesels will tolerate it a bit better than DI

Last edited:
very small particulate, water, additives, acidity, carbon deposits and jelling are your biggest issues.
centrifuge will take care of dirty oils, jelling happens with veggie at low temps, all will be a bit of a dirtier burn, some fuel lines dont like veggie oil, thicker oils will make your pump and injectors sad......
that being said i run a half gallon of virgin canola mixed with 2 stroke oil, anti jell, kerosene and some seafoam as a diesel lube 😁 in every tank

you CAN burn alot of oils in these trucks but the more quantity/diesel you do the more chance of you messing something up.
if centrifuged, water separated/filtered, acidity checked, veggie warmed and using a sensible ratio per diesel fuel you will have very few issues
i believe IDI diesels will tolerate it a bit better than DI
Interesting. That's good information. Thank you!!!

Have read about the centrifuge.
I still need to learn a lot about diesels.
I figure, even if the veggie mix is doable, traveling almost 3,000 miles across the U.S. is not the time to try it.

Yes there is a lot to learn and what I did is written here, if you want to start might help a slight bit.

I don't drive enough anymore to use salad oil, but still using acetone to get quiet engine and slight better torque and better performance.
fuel liters divided by 2 and then times 3 is ml aceton
so 60 liters / 2 = 30 x 3 = 90ml
And some 200 ml 2 stroke oil for the dieselpump every tank

my setup and mess:

I have a turbo 3B on veg. Done 12,000km in roadtrips, since Jan of this year, the only issue being a clogged fuel filter. Filtering and dewatering is key.

Heated fuel tank. Heated veg fuel filter. 3 way valve. Heated element for veg 12' from injection pump, seems to do the trick.

Can read more here:

Feel free to ask any and all questions, here or PM me.

make sure your fuel tank is clean first. And I mean REALLY clean. Black diesel and veg oil is like an enema for your fuel system, it will probably clogg your fuel filter, and then the next one, and possibly the 3rd one in short time. That's how I killed my engine the first time. Kept dying on me on the highway and I'd have to open the water drain on the fuel filter and let it all fall out. Oh god it was so brown coming out.

I'm very hesitant to run WVO after the rebuild even after replacing the tank all the way up to the injectors. Do at your own risk and make sure it's filtered VERY WELL. All it takes is one microscopic piece of debris to damage a pintle nozzle in the injectors.

I use Black diesel, filter well and lots of gravity waiting time mix with 50/50 diesel

Most my bulk oil is settled then I run it thru a Mr Funnel it claims to be a 50 micron and also separates water and derbies.

Then I run it thru an old toyota fuel filter off the cruiser.

I’m not doing large quantities of oil so this works for me. I do plan to upgrade to a centrifuge. But so far everything’s been good.
04FD84E9-6130-41CC-8D6D-C11419C2725E.jpeg

Most my bulk oil is settled then I run it thru a Mr Funnel it claims to be a 50 micron and also separates water and derbies.

Then I run it thru an old toyota fuel filter off the cruiser.

I’m not doing large quantities of oil so this works for me. I do plan to upgrade to a centrifuge. But so far everything’s been good.View attachment 3338007
Interesting contraption! Thanks!

how does your exhaust smell? How long do your injector nozzles last?
I think mines burning clean I don't have much smoke only on acceleration.

injectors were rebuilt about 40K Km ago. nothing out of the normal then again I've been using WMO only in summer conditions and before winter I run some Hotshots Diesel extreme with some fresh diesel in the tank and i run EDT winter mixed with diesel I'm good to go for every diesel fill up. I'm sure ill pull out my injectors and inspect them again after another 100K km.

the trick is to settle your oil and filter it good enough at least filter down to the factory media filter.

try burning some engine oil! really stinks

Waste oil from a fish and chip shop is gorgeous! Drive along the high street and watch noses going up trying to find the source.

Regards

Dave.

I get rid of my filtering equipment 2 years ago. I was tired to manage oil collection, filtration and all that.

I've always avoided using cooking oils that used for meat product to avoided animal fat as much as possible. For example, fried chicken. Knowing well the manager in the supermarket where I collected the oil, I planned the collection when changing the oil from the deep fryer where french fries where cook or onion ring.

I wasn't doing the "big process" which involved extracting the glycerine.

I opted for at least a week's sedimentation in the collecting containers, a brief filtration, another rest period (sedimentation) of at least 1 month, filtration in 2 large 10-micron water separator filters and a final sedimentation period that could last quite a while as the oil was now in its last barrel.

I've burned over 1,500 liters of vegetable oil in the last 15 years and save almost 2000$

Always in summer time (May to September).
Except for one or 2 tests at 50%, never more than 15% oil/diesel ratio, but generally around 8%. This way, I didn't create any issues with the a fuel line.
I always added a diesel conditioner such as Kleen-Flo
I preventively replacing my fuel filters every 5000km.

So far so good, but now it's something I don't do anymore, and my engines have never suffered... and neither has my wallet.

Very interesting stuff.
Seems the trick is to mix the oil with diesel (after her filtration, etc.)

Very interesting stuff.
Seems the trick is to mix the oil with diesel (after her filtration, etc.)
i like 50/50 with diesel you can also use stale gasoline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom