BJ60 Rear End Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1st post: I am considering buying a Bj60 here in town, Bend, Oregon, and it has a blown rear end which is described to me as a 34mm 4 speed, and it is attached to a 3b. That sounds incredibly newb, but whatever just trying to paw my way through this stuff. I am guessing rear end housing is 34mm and the tranny is a 4speed.
I don't know what the code is for the tranny or transfer case or even what the gear ratios are! So a little help guiding me to a link would be great. This is a previous Canadian vehicle imported into the US with about 300, 000 km, so it seems to be relatively low mileage. What are my rear end options with this, the owner seems to think that no gas rear-end (read U.S. models) will fit. I have been wanting to run a biodiesel wheeler for years and an oppurtunity has come up, just have to replace the rear end, thanks.

Edit: Okay, so most likely it has a blown H41 4 SP. Would it be better to replace the tranny and rear end from an H55?

Last edited:
Welcome to our forum
I guess they are talking about a transfer case. I think the later version has a 34mm idler shaft and is normally attached to a 5 speed or automatic.

Yep a H55f 5 speed is better if you need it but they are engine specific meaning it will have to come from a 3B or 13BT(TURBO VERSION)

With 300000 klms I would be careful.

This is always a good read for newbies and old hands alike ;)http://www.birfield.com/

EDIT: 34 MM is the earlier version :eek:

Last edited:
Army of the Forest said:
1st post: I am considering buying a Bj60 here in town, Bend, Oregon, and it has a blown rear end which is described to me as a 34mm 4 speed, and it is attached to a 3b. That sounds incredibly newb, but whatever just trying to paw my way through this stuff. I am guessing rear end housing is 34mm and the tranny is a 4speed.
I don't know what the code is for the tranny or transfer case or even what the gear ratios are! So a little help guiding me to a link would be great. This is a previous Canadian vehicle imported into the US with about 300, 000 km, so it seems to be relatively low mileage. What are my rear end options with this, the owner seems to think that no gas rear-end (read U.S. models) will fit. I have been wanting to run a biodiesel wheeler for years and an oppurtunity has come up, just have to replace the rear end, thanks.

Edit: Okay, so most likely it has a blown H41 4 SP. Would it be better to replace the tranny and rear end from an H55?

what year is the 60?
are talking about the transmission or transfer case?. the transmissions are identical between the gasser and the diesel, except the input shaft. the pilot bearing in the diesels is much smaller in diameter.
should not be so hard to source a used transmission from G&S or Marv specter though, if the truck is otherwise in good shape.
as far as I know, the transfer is interchangable, but I think the 34mm was the early idler shaft, the later is 38mm (could be wrong there).
j

Army of the Forest said:

Sounds like an H42/splitcase. The 4spd came in the BJ60 in 1981/82. 1983 saw the H55F/3B in Canada.

When you say rear end, most people where will think of the 3rd member/differential. If by rear end you mean the transfer case then this makes sense.

34mm is the idler shaft inside the t-case. Mid 1985 they went up to 38mm as Jan mentioned.

Jumping out on a limb, it sounds like the t-case may have been run dry of oil (common seal issue) and the t-case is pooched. If this is the case, then the transmission may well be ok, and all you need to do is rebuild the t-case. You will not know till you split the case if the gears are ok. You won't know about the transmission until you drive it, or feel the input shaft and someone who knows transmissions pops the cover and has a look at things.

If you are planning on putting a marlin box or some such thing between the tranny and t-case, consider keeping the H42. Depends on your final build parameter: gears, tires, main wheeling areas, etc. While the H55F is a great upgrade. a good condition "B" series H55F will cost you bucks, and if you are building a crawler/wheeler the crawl box may well be more important.

I forget what the 81/82 BJ60's had for gearing in the rear ends. I know the BJ60's with the H55Fs they were 3:70.

hth's

gb

34mm output shaft .. means you have the old one Split-Case .. for sure attached to H42 Tranny ..

I thought you have 2.28;1 in low, and seach about H42 gearing.

Thanks guys,I know I have much research but this goes a long way. Here is my dilemma, I re-read through the Craigslist post, because I could not get a hold of the guy. It is an 1986 and he says you need a 34mm transfercase (such as the older models) or update to a 5 spd. So something sounds a little fishy I guess since it seems like the h55 was stock on 83+?

It looks like I may skip this one, but on a side note, cost estimations on getting a diesel vehicle imported into the US from CAN, just importation fees, not necessarily the cost of the vehicle as well, or is it dependent on the vehicle's purchase price?

Thanks again,

J

Phone your border post and inquire.

Look at the FAQ on the top of the diesel page for importing. Lots of threads there.

There are many diesel cruisers for sale around the Vancouver area. Same as Calgary. You are able to buy and import anything that was sold new in Canada. Know as CDM (canadian domestic market). The JDM ( japan domestic market) is allowed in Canada due to our 15yr law for importing. The USA is 25 yrs for any other country than Canada.

Good luck.

Army of the Forest said:
Thanks guys,I know I have much research but this goes a long way. Here is my dilemma, I re-read through the Craigslist post, because I could not get a hold of the guy. It is an 1986 and he says you need a 34mm transfercase (such as the older models) or update to a 5 spd. So something sounds a little fishy I guess since it seems like the h55 was stock on 83+?

It looks like I may skip this one, but on a side note, cost estimations on getting a diesel vehicle imported into the US from CAN, just importation fees, not necessarily the cost of the vehicle as well, or is it dependent on the vehicle's purchase price?

Thanks again,

J

I would suggest not to give in yet. If it is a nice truck (no rust), and the engine looks good and has good compression, it is not such a big deal to rebuild the trans mission and transfer case.
especially if you get it for a great price, since it is not running.
j

OK, I looked at the ad, and I think the guy suggests that you can upgrade to a H55F with transfercase, or fix the transfercase. It is stated that the transfer is bad, not the transmission. Probably he is simply wrong about the 34mm.
transfer will be interchangable with a gasser model, and a rebuild kit costs about 150$ But you can certainly get a used transfer from a parts truck somewhere.

However, it looks pretty rusty. You have to look very carefully at the frame and spring hangers.

price is not too bad, but I bet the seller does not have compression data.

j

Used would not be the way to go as you'd have to split it to remove it anyway. As long as you are splitting one transfer, rebuild it... why go to the trouble of splitting another one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom