BJ42LX ROUGH IDLE

• Thread starter MarzBj42LX
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
MarzBj42LX

MarzBj42LX

Hi All,
Just got myself a Bj42Lx (3b diesel)and very happy with it though...it shakes quite a bit on idle at a red light or when rpm is low. Feels like it’s running rough and should have a little more oomph. Basically when I’m at a stand still feels like I’m in a vibrating machine lol. Your assistance is appreciated. I’ll also post some pics 😁

F

Fedtime

You will get better response in the diesel section, I suspect.

But for what it is worth: I have been driving the 3B diesel for many years in both the 60 and 42 series. A low idle will cause the engine to appear to run rough and will shake the whole vehicle. If it disappears when you increase the RPMs, I suspect your idle is just set too low. While you are at it, check the integrity of your engine mounts and trans mount.

duncanrm

duncanrm

A good 3B will idle quite smoothly.. no rocking back and forth, and definitely not shaking the vehicle.. some things to check:

• Compression test
  • Valve clearances
  • Spill Timing
  • Injector Spray Patterns
  • Idle speed (as suggested by @Fedtime)
  • Engine Mounts (although with your description of the vehicle shaking its unlikely it'll be this)

Last edited:
MarzBj42LX

MarzBj42LX

Thanks guys for the response. Fedtime, yes it smooths out when the rpm increases. I will try to increase the idle...though what rpm should it read on idle?

duncanrm

duncanrm

Thanks guys for the response. Fedtime, yes it smooths out when the rpm increases. I will try to increase the idle...though what rpm should it read on idle?

650RPM

From the Factory Service Manual

MarzBj42LX

MarzBj42LX

Thanks..... I’ll have look at it and see how I go. I’ll also take it to my diesel mechanic and see what he thinks. Thanks again for the help.