BJ42 Will Not Crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
My BJ42 starter had started to turn over slowly (the 3B fortunately started very easy) so I assumed the battery had seen its better days. I replaced it with a new battery and drove it for several days and all was well. Fast forward to a couple of days ago and the engine will no longer glow or turn over. (When you turn the key to the glow position the digital clock display will disappear). It’s almost like there’s no power on the Cruiser. With my limited knowledge of all things electrical I assumed I had bought a bad battery but it tested well. All of the cables are in good condition and tight.
ANY THOUGHTS?

Check battery voltage at the terminals. If less than 12.5v. If less, you have a parastic drain. Also check if your alternator is good.

Google how to test for a parasitic drain test.

You could also check to make sure your negative cable has a good ground connection. Might as well check the one from the starter to the frame (if you have one on the 3B) while you are at it.

I added a second ground wire from the battery to where my alternator bracket attaches to the block on the advice of Coolerman. That, with the starter ground strap to the frame, ensures the battery, alternator, and starter are solidly grounded. Eliminates grounding gremlins.

Have you put your new battery on a charger to see if it takes one?

I added a second ground wire from the battery to where my alternator bracket attaches to the block on the advice of Coolerman. That, with the starter ground strap to the frame, ensures the battery, alternator, and starter are solidly grounded. Eliminates grounding gremlins.

Have you put your new battery on a charger to see if it takes one?
The new battery test properly and takes a charge …. Thanks.

You could also check to make sure your negative cable has a good ground connection. Might as well check the one from the starter to the frame (if you have one on the 3B) while you are at it.
Jackpot …. Thanks for the tip. 👍
Actually moved the ground from the battery.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom