BJ40 rim advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
have had my 79 BJ40 DD for over 15 years.. the rims have always been a mashup of styles and sizes (7 and 8 inch).. recently came across a 45 selling 4 matching rims that matched one of mine so the dream of having matching rims (including spare) was born. first problem was one of the rims off the 45 turned out to be bad - lug holes were worn / damaged. but was able to swap the center off mine - which was in good condition - with that one which had much better chrome. ok so 4 matching rims is still good. went today to mount and found out the 8 inch up front won't fit my disk brake conversion without a 1/4" spacer (probably more like 8mm). so looking for advice:

- do i try to source the spacer? should i do spacers front and back or it doesn't matter? will i need longer lugs?
- go for the bigger 1 1/2" spacers for extra stability? seems i can keep the lugs with those but i'll need to add flares to pass inspection
- just paint the 7in rims to match and call it a day...

running 33x11.5 on 15 inch rims

PXL_20230318_210709625.jpg

Toyota sells the 16 inch OEM 70 series wagon wheels that fit the fj40, Toyota also sells the 15 inch OEM steel wheel, and there are aftermarket options like City Racer that looks like the 15 inch wheel, but is in the 16 inch size. In Costa Rica, it shouldn’t be that hard to find a set of OEM 16 inch split rims if you want to go that direction.

I wouldn’t use spacers, I would invest in a quality set of wheels. Wheels and tires are 2 things you shouldn’t skimp on. Bad things can happen with cheap sets or compromises.

I have mis matched no name wheels and I hate it. I’m buying either a used set of 5 white late fj40 wagon wheels or OEM steel wheels once it runs.

3799733E-1057-4713-BF48-083D08DDBBAA.jpeg

I have mis matched no name wheels and I hate it. I’m buying either a used set of 5 white late fj40 wagon wheels or OEM steel wheels once it runs.

Nice cruiser! It's originally from Costa Rica (ULACIT) and almost a brother to mine: your license was 81279 and i'm 83097.. yours is a 77 and mine a 79 👍

Nice cruiser! It's originally from Costa Rica (ULACIT) and almost a brother to mine: your license was 81279 and i'm 83097.. yours is a 77 and mine a 79 👍
Pura vida

I did not attend ULACIT, the previous owner did, but I like the Costa Rican stickers. I am also from Costa Rica, but I grew up in Asia and USA. On a visit to Costa Rica, I purchased and imported that Land Cruiser. 🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom