Birfield problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would just put a simple knuckle rebuild kit in right now along with wheel bearings;) just to see. I have had bearings make noise before.

I would just put a simple knuckle rebuild kit in right now along with wheel bearings;) just to see. I have had bearings make noise before.

All day I have been waiting for you to reply, and now you have! Thanks. I am not sure what I am thanking you for, but sure, whatever.

I did a complete rebuild of the knuckles less than 8,000 miles ago, so I would think that the bearings are in good shape.

For now I think that I am going to put it back together, put more grease in the knuckle than was in there this time, and go wheel it again to see if I can make it make that sound again.

If it does it again I am going to get video and post it here for all you to see just what it is that I am talking about.

All day I have been waiting for you to reply, and now you have! Thanks. I am not sure what I am thanking you for, but sure, whatever.

I did a complete rebuild of the knuckles less than 8,000 miles ago, so I would think that the bearings are in good shape.

For now I think that I am going to put it back together, put more grease in the knuckle than was in there this time, and go wheel it again to see if I can make it make that sound again.

If it does it again I am going to get video and post it here for all you to see just what it is that I am talking about.
:lol::lol: Sounds like a plan.

Sure give it a try grease does miracles :D.

Ha on my end i had troubles with part#39 bearings was toast after a few weeks(Trail Gear). Started clicking fairly good but it was not consistant so i pulled it all apart and found the bearing cage just a little off

Specter Off-Road-Land Cruiser Parts - Page 080-Front Axle

Not sure how I missed this one? :bang: I found the culprit!

Was not a berfield at all! :rolleyes:

Something far sillier :bounce:

Are you ready for it?

Are you sure?

OK, here ya go.
motor mount.jpg

When you get a new one i would cut the bolt off both ends then drill it out then put your own bolt(threaded at both ends of course) then proceed....;)keeps from recurring

This post goes out to the Noobies.

It was a busted motor mount making the fan blade hit the fan shroud!:bang: And after all the time and trouble that I went thru to take apart the front end and check both birfields! :doh:

Well at least I know that they are ok.

Thanks to CardinalFJ60 for pointing me in the right direction :cheers::beer::clap:

Oh s*** man......nothing silly about that. Kurt can hook you right up.

When you get a new one i would cut the bolt off both ends then drill it out then put your own bolt(threaded at both ends of course) then proceed....;)keeps from recurring

I got one from CDan, but I am not going to cut it off in hopes that it lasts long enough for them to be up for sale. I bought a Vortec and have it in the garage getting torn down and overhauled so that it is puuurrrrrrfect and puurrrty when it is time to put it in (late this summer I hope). At that point I will try to sell it to someone that needs it.

I got one from CDan, but I am not going to cut it off in hopes that it lasts long enough for them to be up for sale. I bought a Vortec and have it in the garage getting torn down and overhauled so that it is puuurrrrrrfect and puurrrty when it is time to put it in (late this summer I hope). At that point I will try to sell it to someone that needs it.
:grinpimp:Vortec.....cool

wow another cruiser thats never been driven in 2wd. where do you guys live... the north pole?

maybe I'm the only one getting it

wow another cruiser thats never been driven in 2wd. where do you guys live... the north pole?

maybe I'm the only one getting it
:lol:No mine has been threw hell and back..Just the way i drive ,keep my s*** greased etc etc and lucky maybe

:whoops:well until that last trip then i went longs:D

Funny thread. At least now you know exactly what a worn out birf does NOT sound like!

Has anyone ever worn out a birfield on a part time 4wd truck? Obviously plenty get broken, but they are actually turning and in use so little of the time that they last essentially for ever. Maybe in trucks where the front hubs stay engaged all winter, but even then,

Look how long they go on 80 series fulltime trucks. It's very common to see well maintained ones still not clicking or worn out at 150k miles and they spin all the time.

The 60 series broken driver side mount is nearly a universal problem. Glad you figured it out.

Hey Gunnar, is Randy doing your swap? or are you gonna try it yourself? You will be much happier with the Vortec.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Hey Gunnar, is Randy doing your swap? or are you gonna try it yourself? You will be much happier with the Vortec.

Dynosoar:zilla:

I am doing it. Randy helped me locate a good motor. :bounce::bounce2::bounce:

We (me and whomever I can sucker into helping me) will get started on it as soon as the engine is ready to go in. There are a few things that I am doing to it that may seem overkill to some, but to me it is a "well you have it apart, you might as well do this too." kind of thing.

I am having the crank and cams balanced as well as porting the intake and exhaust. None of these are being done to give me more power, I just want a motor that will turn that much smoother. :D :steer::clap::wrench:

I also took the brake backing plate and ground off the rivets that hold secured the brake line juction (flexble hose from the axle to the hard line that goes down to the caliper) and welded nuts to the inside and used bolts from the outside so that when I remove the calipers, I can take out those two bolts and remove the brake plumbing with it. This way I do not ever have to undo any brake lines whan I take apart the front hubs. Well worth the effort.

You happen to have any pictures of this mod ??

Thanks! :)

This post goes out to the Noobies.

It was a busted motor mount making the fan blade hit the fan shroud!:bang: And after all the time and trouble that I went thru to take apart the front end and check both birfields! :doh:

Well at least I know that they are ok.

Thanks to CardinalFJ60 for pointing me in the right direction :cheers::beer::clap:

Wow, I gotta tell my wife about this! ;) But really, I'm glad you tracked it down...my first cruiser had that issue and it's a terrible sound out on the trails!

Rock on!~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom