Bicycle question: Trek 820 or Fisher Wahoo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am looking at a mountain bike to get me into shape, and rather than getting some box box piece of crap, I am checking out craigslist and the local bike shop's used stuff. Want to save some coin, and not lose my ass if I get bored with it all.

I found a near new Gary Fisher Wahoo for $275. Does not appear to be a Disc.

Also found a very clean Trek 820 for $200.

Both hardtail, 21-speed, both 21" frame.

Any idea which would be the best bike for my needs (very novice rider) and best deal?

Wahoo hands down. I just compared the Specialized Hardrock and the Wahoo but couldnt find my frame size in stock anywhere. Mediums are a popular frame size so you might have to order it.

Trek

The Trek is steel, so it will be a lot more forgiving. The Fisher is going to be super stiff, although maybe lighter.

21" frame? Are you over 6' and over 34" inseam? Seems big.

If you like the Wahoo, at least it gets pretty good reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2003_hardtail/product_121346.shtml

Well Gary Fishers I believe have a lifetime frame warranty. Just dont go for the Tarpon. It has the name on it but uses some generic components.

I have a Fisher Marlin hardtail 19" and I like it. It's light and handles well. I was in your situation so I bought used instead of some new POS. It's a couple years old.

I'm under 6' so I don't think a 21" would work well for me.

I have a Wahoo, and it's been great.

I thought Trek owned Fisher?

Trek 820 is pretty heavy and indestructable. It's great for a city/some trail use bike, it will take a real pounding without much damage. If I were going to commute to school and chain it up outside, for example, I'd get the Trek. But if you have to load it in and out of a car, carry up stairs, hang on a rack or intend to do a lot of uphill riding, on or off trails, I'd go for something lighter.

Don't know much about the Fishers. . . .

Wahoo...Fishers are pretty damn nice bikes...used to have a Marlin before some asshat stole it from my dorm :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom