Betsy the Farm Truck (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What took so long?

Since you asked....

Well first I got the spring mounted to the truck but couldn't get it to seat on the axle. Tried some little ratchet straps to pull it forward to no avail. So then unhooked the pivot end and monkey'd with the axle to get the spring pin to seat, then realized the u-bolts were about 2 inches to long to run down with my deep well. Also realized that I have jack for standard tools and need to invest in some good 6-points in 1/2" drive. So after running the u-bolts the last inch or so with a box end, but still not getting it seated all the way, we tried unsuccessfully for what seemed like forever to get the front fixed end bolt back in. Finally gave up and decided we should unbolt the shackle end and start completely over, but discovered that in all the shaking the truck was trying to shift and was getting tippy on the Jack stands, so had to break out the hi-lift and monkey with all the stands to make sure everything was safe. With that addressed it was back to trying to get the fixed end back in, eventually had an epiphany and remembered the heavy duty straps for tying down the sami, used one of those and a pry bar to wrangle the fixed end into place. Then with that in we moved to the rear. The ford has those inverted shackles so trying to get them back in was a fight. We had the axle free hanging on the spring and one bolt and couldn't get it to settle in.. back to the pry bar and a c-clamp to get the bolt hole lined up. Finally we got it lined up and Erin drove the shackle bolt home. Tightened everything down, put the tire back on and cleaned up. I also feel that all this was compounded by the fact that my driveway work area is slightly sloped and gravity was also seeing what kind of misery she could throw at me as well. All in all I learned enough so that hopefully the drivers side will go much smoother.

Worst part is the rear was supposed to be the easy end, God only knows what awaits me when I dive into the TTB front end.

I also found that the e-brake doesn't work (knew that already) because some dingle berry cut the cables loose and had them tucked into the frame rails.... the rear brakes look to be in decent shape so I figure rebuilding them and repairing the e-brake can wait.

Will finish up the rear and then head over the Marta for the old sniffer test. Hope to have her on the road soon.

Didn't realize it but looks like E got a few shots of me welding up the new tailpipe too.

20140720_143300.jpg

I had the spring out of the way and was full of confidence at this point.

Yep, I am not a redneck, I am THE redneck in my hood. :smokin:

Yep, and learned that I need some welding sleeves if I plan to do any more overhead welding...

Well this afternoon I got the CAT welded in. Now just have to get the other spring swapped then off to see how her emissions fair.
20140727_190715.jpg

Getting that in was an adventure but only took about 3 hours, including the trip to the store to get the 2" to 2.25" adapters. Also glad I got new bushings for the front arms. Noticed those little buggers are trashed today.

I think you just enjoy working on stuff

Between here and there

I think you just enjoy working on stuff

Between here and there

I am pretty sure your right. Always need something to fiddle with.

Like for instance, did you know that a 14 bolt rear just needs the perches moved over slightly to bolt into a Ford, and that the front TTB can be converted to 8 lug by installing Chevy 3/4 ton IFS outers. Box in the frame from the cab back and upgrade the 14 to discs and viola 3/4 ton Ford... the old 300 will pull it if I can hook to it. All the big 3 use 8x6.5 wheels.

And if I get to feeling super foggy at some point, 12 valve cummins, NV 4500 and finish boxing in the frame, then I will have the best that all three have to offer :steer:

Well in between working on the Jetta Headlights todat I got the shocks mounted and went ahead and broke the u-bolt nuts and the one shackle bolt that I needed to loose on the drivers side spring.

After the last disaster I think I got the process down, so gonna try to knock out the new spring tomorrow evening.

20140803_183221.jpg

The shocks actually went pretty quick so hopefully I can get that spring in tomorrow so I can drive it to get the emissions test this week. Gotta get it ready to pull that new trailer once it's ready.

Finished up Betsy's butt lift tonight. Total time out the door to back inside: 2hrs, working alone including a 10-15 minute break to call my mom so the little :princess: could tell her about her first day at pre-K.

20140804_210008.jpg

Still need to cut off the drivers side u-bolts and tighten everything up but after doing every wrong thing possible last time, tonight I just chugged right along.

I need to take a freakin' flap disc and wire wheel to most of the underside but that is for another day. Once I am through emissions then I can get the tires mounted, worry with the front end and get the trailer plug wired up. I'm getting there.

Betsy is all loaded up to go get her new shoes put on in the morning.

20140808_195018.jpg

Also got the trailer tires in there too. Man, having an 8' bed sure is handy. Heck there's room for at least 4 more tires in there.

Didn't make it to the emissions station this morning, needed to check all the bolts before I took off down the interstate. Next week for sure, probably Tuesday morning. She's insured at least. Then I gotta get after the front end. Erin came out and said "she (betsy) needs a boob job, that fronts kinda saggy."

New shoes today.

20140809_132956.jpg

20140809_132813.jpg

Got the 4runner wiring started for pulling the trailer today, so that will come soon for Betsy before too long. Plan to just pick up some new tail lights and rework all the wiring back there. Erin said the lights were finicky today while she was following me to the tire shop.

Got to get into that front end soon. Driving it today I could tell the steering needs to be tightened up and I know all the bad bushings are compounding the steering which is known to wander on the TTB frontends.

Not much to add here lately, just sittin watchin it rain. Playing with the photo edits on my phone,

2014-08-23 20.11.16.jpg

Really need to get her on the road. Maybe this week. I forgot how much I love ridin' around in a beat up old full-size. :steer:

Well, I am tired of trying to bum a way to get my tractor back over to the mechanics so I bit the bullet and ordered bunch of parts tonight to get the Ford ready to tow. I am not sure how the trailer brakes are going to work, but I know they did work because the drums have a nice wear pattern on them so I just need to get the trailer wiring handled and get the truck side done. I got a controller, plugs and harnesses coming this way and I plan to check some of the parts stores to see about renting a ball joint tool to press out the pivot bushings. I got to get this old Girl ready to pull.

Last edited:
Matt I guess I missed something . If you need to take your tractor to the shop I'll haul it for you .

Matt I guess I missed something . If you need to take your tractor to the shop I'll haul it for you .

Nah Rocky, I hadn't even thought to ask any of you guys. I had a guy that helped me once but I am having trouble getting together with him again and the MF has some serious blow-by and the mechanic that just finished rebuilding it said to bring it back by and he is on the other side of Murfreesboro. I bought the trailer heavy enough to transport it if needed, but I hadn't anticipated having to haul it back the week after I bought the trailer. So the truck needs wiring and the trailer brakes need checking and mostly I hate having to ask people to inconvenience themselves to help me. Always been a character flaw of mine. I will kill myself helping someone else if I can, but I just hate to ask for help, just because I don't want to inconvenience somebody...

Rocky, I appreciate the offer and we can talk tonight at the meeting about logistics.

Got a care package from Amazon Yesterday. Brake Controller, Curtis taillight plug-in adapter and and Hopkins 7-Blade plug. I need to make sure I have plenty of heat shrink so I can clean up the old spliced in taillight harness and get the new one installed. Now I need some auto resetting circuit breakers and I should be ready to pull some wire.

Got tired of looking at the partially painted front fender so I picked up some rattle cans at Home Depot and tonight after I mowed the yard I played around a little.
20140903_204307.jpg
20140903_204403.jpg

I like the new color, I also got a couple cans of flat black to clean up the lower panels too. Only down side is the new color doesn't match exactly and is very flat vs. what I believe is a satin or semi-gloss on the old. So I fear a few more cans are in my future to get everything to match. That I can do in time. I also picked up some big Ole drill bits to get the front lift on. That is the plan for this weekend as long as the weather cooperates.

Well I finally got into the frontend today. Old crusty bolts suck! Patience and lots of WD40 products plus a long cheater bar were my bestest friends today.

Got her up in the air and flipped her skirt up.
20140913_151524.jpg

Getting the coil out took about an hour cause the lower retainer has a big a$$ nut holding it on. Had to get the top out, drop the socket in and the slide the breaker bar in. It would move, but only with a cheater bar and only about a quarter turn at a time due to having to work inside the coil.

20140913_160856.jpg

The shock held that end while I unbolted the other end of the DS beam.

20140913_173228.jpg

Getting the bracket off took about 30-45 minutes due to the placement of the bolts.

FUN FACT: FORD used METRIC hardware on the suspension brackets. That by itself took a while to sort out. 18mm, 15mm, 21mm... who'd a thought in 1985. And for major suspension components, not misc. stuff.

Anyway, check out the difference in the two drop brackets, factory appears to be stamped vs. the Rough Country fabricated unit.

20140913_173204.jpg

It got dark on me so I gathered my tools and threw the wheel back on for the night.

Rough measurements 19.5" hub to fender before... 24" hub to fender after... the stock coils were obviously slapped out. I measured top of tire to fender, 7" front and 6.75" rear. I think everything should settle in nicely.

20140913_200254.jpg

I will get some better pics tomorrow. Still have to do the radius arm drop brackets and then knock out the passenger side as well as tighten everything down.

The hood is officially taller than Erin now. Overall I am pleased and I think it is going to sit nicely.

After looking at some of the pictures, I think I may have to pull the DS coil out and hit that coil bucket with a little paint so that shiny new coil looks a little better. It is still loose and I can just tape up the shock. Not gonna get too crazy, but I gotta at least make them stand out a little bit. :smokin:

Last edited:
Just a quick one tonight.

Before
20140914_153033.jpg

After

20140914_212517.jpg

Will get into details tomorrow. Not bad, just long and fiddly.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom