Best source for fused power tap? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Wiring a bung of stuff in dash, want to use switched radio, tried right side of radio fuse, no joy.

What is the best place to tap?

Best fuse with most overhead for ampdraw?

Thanks,

E-

Hey E-,

Your best bet would be to run a dedicated power wire to the battery with an appropriately sized fuse and switch that with a relay.
You can switch the relay on with any of the circuit that is connected to ignition.

I know that's not the answer you were looking for, but these FJs are have enough problems with 30+ year old wiring and aging
( sometimes failing ) electrical connectors, ergo taxing a circuit with extra current draw is not the best idea.

Maybe if you'd define " Wiring a bung of stuff in dash " a bit better, like added current draw for the things you want to connect
can get a better more helpful answer.

Last edited:
I was going to power a relay from battery, but need a control signal source from ignition.

Idea being pull from the fuse box, run the power to signal the 10amp mini relay and also power some led illuminated switches, which will themselves just be controlling relays, so pretty low load hopefully, but it may end up being a lot of switches (i added a lot of empty switch locations, but don't really have a plan for them yet, I removed the sandwich tray and the ash tray, replacing both with switch panels. It looks a lot like the trailtrailor/cruiserhead cnc aluminum replacement with all the switches, but low-buck. Used Carling switches an over counter bezels.

I actually have a 10 mini relay installed behind the switch panel for powering the usb, & switches, but I had it connected to the cig lighter for signal, which was always on.
I moved it to radio fuse, but apparently, that's always on too.

I just wondered which switched circuit in the fuse box had the most "head room" instead of just picking one arbitrarily.
My goal is to have everything I add to the dash either powered from that 10a relay, or just controlling a relay in the engine compartment.

Right now it's a light bar, a usb port with voltage, etc
Eventually i want to ad a winch control switch, with a switch to power that switch, but again, relays to the winch.

PXL_20220908_184447647.jpg

Last edited:
I actually have a 10 mini relay installed behind the switch panel for powering the usb, & switches, but I had it connected to the cig lighter for signal, which was always on.
I moved it to radio fuse, but apparently, that's always on too.

Both of those should be switched through key. They shouldn't be hot without the key on. If they are likely something is wired up wrong.

Cig lighter circuit has 15amp fuse if you need head room for relay trigger. Guess it depends on what you run off cig plug but can't imagine needing more than 15amps to work with. HTH.

Attached is the wiring diagram fro the 1981 FJ60. I assume it is the same as 1982. Starting 1984 there seems to be some differences--for example in 1984 and later the radio and cigarette lighter share the same fuse.

Attachments

• 1981 wiring diagram.pdf
    556.4 KB · Views: 40

Both of those should be switched through key. They shouldn't be hot without the key on. If they are likely something is wired up wrong.

Cig lighter circuit has 15amp fuse if you need head room for relay trigger. Guess it depends on what you run off cig plug but can't imagine needing more than 15amps to work with. HTH.
That's where I started, it's not switched, it's always on.

Which means you can plug a solar panel into it. So that's good., surprisingly so is radio

Looks if I want power at first click of key on, best bet is Tail 15a, or dome 5a.(which is nice because the inspection light circuit is right there.

That's where I started, it's not switched, it's always on.

So you can plug in a power inverter or some other device to the cig lighter and have it come on without the key? Just plug it in and it comes on? You can turn the radio on without the key? Radio just stays on? Interesting. Must be some PO electrical magic.

Looks to me like the diagram @2mbb included shows both those as switched with key.:

1662736322047.png
1662736275878.png

Not sure on yours. That video @cruisermatt gives you some solid options for keyed power so as to not burn down your truck. I wouldn't ignore those. GL and HTH.

Use a fuse tap on your fuse box with a key on fuse. Then use that source to power a relay. You can get fuse tap at the local auto parts store for a couple of bucks. Factory wiring is not touched and new circuit has a fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom