Best second battery and compressor mounting location and kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve done some searches and need your opinions on where are the best locations to count a second battery and compressor.

second battery:

option 1: relocate the air pump/reservoir on the passenger side next to the radiator.
Pros: stock battery location for LHD
Cons: relocate the air pump?
Option 2: passenger side next to the firewall
Pros: nothing to relocate
Cons: mounting pint strength since it’s not a location Toyota designed to put a battery
option 3???

Compressor: driver side near the firewall? Probably go with a single instead of dual since tires on the GX won’t by much bigger.

I am mainly interested only in the brackets, I don’t like any of the expensive kits’ electrical design and want the same design that worked well for me in my 80. I tried in vein to find a location in the cargo area, unless someone figured out something and make a kit for it. I don’t have time to developer my own products.

thanks in advance

Have you thought about a air pump delete with the new GEN2 Hewitt-Tech bypass units?

"You can remove the air pump(s), pluming, air injection control drivers and by adding Pressure Sensors Options (PSO) you can also remove the air switching valves."

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 10.45.11 AM.png

Have you thought about a air pump delete with the new GEN2 Hewitt-Tech bypass units?

"You can remove the air pump(s), pluming, air injection control drivers and by adding Pressure Sensors Options (PSO) you can also remove the air switching valves."

View attachment 2119050

Would it cause issues with CA smog check? That’s one thing I have to deal with eventually.

I have the Slee compressor mount in mine with a dual ARB. I'm not sure what I am going to do about the dual battery setup yet. The truck build has been put on the back burner for the time being.

nLrL0zg.jpg

XBKfMkv.jpg

I did the same as @Tex68w but with PowerTray for a 5th gen 4runner. I ran hoses front and back so I never have to lift the hood to use my OBA.

for the second battery, I just have it in a marine box with usb and cigarette ports for my 50L fridge. My particular fridge runs fine in the GX 100w plug in the trunk area and then switches to my aux battery when the truck is turned off. I have a 125ah agm, good for about 4-5 days easily.

1532FBF2-8846-45AB-9553-304F60DEEBDF.jpeg

5A4B8515-6DA7-400D-B276-1511FA43D424.jpeg

2C510970-DE94-4BCE-BF81-E146039487B8.jpeg

51B49157-0484-4023-8D51-84E68A91D328.jpeg

I did the same as @Tex68w but with PowerTray for a 5th gen 4runner. I ran hoses front and back so I never have to lift the hood to use my OBA.

for the second battery, I just have it in a marine box with usb and cigarette ports for my 50L fridge. My particular fridge runs fine in the GX 100w plug in the trunk area and then switches to my aux battery when the truck is turned off. I have a 125ah agm, good for about 4-5 days easily.

View attachment 2119284

View attachment 2119285

View attachment 2119286

View attachment 2119287

very cool, almost exactly like how I would set it up. So that’s the same slee compressor mount? Sounds like slee mounting bracket will be in order soon!

where did you put your second battery?

I used the PowerTrays bracket for my compressor - they have single and dual ARB compressor options.

As to the second battery, I will probably go the Hewitt Tech Bypass kit and put it by the passenger firewall like the T4Rs do. I don't know enough about CA testing to know whether it will cause you a problem. All the SAIS does is blow extra air into the exhaust stream post-combustion to help the catalytic converters work more efficiently. If the smog test actually tests particulate emissions you may or may not still pass, although my money would be on passing with factory catalytic converters. If the smog test only runs via OBD II port it is less likely to be a problem. You may want to ask Hewitt Tech about how the bypass works for emissions testing purposes; for example if the scanner tool still shows normal operation through OBD II or whether it shows an inoperable system (which can be enough for a failure in some states, regardless of lack of codes or otherwise passing emissions).

I used the PowerTrays bracket for my compressor - they have single and dual ARB compressor options.

As to the second battery, I will probably go the Hewitt Tech Bypass kit and put it by the passenger firewall like the T4Rs do. I don't know enough about CA testing to know whether it will cause you a problem. All the SAIS does is blow extra air into the exhaust stream post-combustion to help the catalytic converters work more efficiently. If the smog test actually tests particulate emissions you may or may not still pass, although my money would be on passing with factory catalytic converters. If the smog test only runs via OBD II port it is less likely to be a problem. You may want to ask Hewitt Tech about how the bypass works for emissions testing purposes; for example if the scanner tool still shows normal operation through OBD II or whether it shows an inoperable system (which can be enough for a failure in some states, regardless of lack of codes or otherwise passing emissions).

Great points, although I’m thinking about relocating the pump now.

I’ve done some searches and need your opinions on where are the best locations to count a second battery and compressor.

second battery:

option 1: relocate the air pump/reservoir on the passenger side next to the radiator.
Pros: stock battery location for LHD
Cons: relocate the air pump?
Option 2: passenger side next to the firewall
Pros: nothing to relocate
Cons: mounting pint strength since it’s not a location Toyota designed to put a battery
option 3???

Compressor: driver side near the firewall? Probably go with a single instead of dual since tires on the GX won’t by much bigger.

I am mainly interested only in the brackets, I don’t like any of the expensive kits’ electrical design and want the same design that worked well for me in my 80. I tried in vein to find a location in the cargo area, unless someone figured out something and make a kit for it. I don’t have time to developer my own products.

thanks in advance
I know this is kind of a late reply, been bogged down at the office... Anyways, if you use smaller batteries, like the Odyssey P1200 batteries, you can fit two of them in the stock battery location. Go to my build thread. Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build Starting at post #3. I have pictures of how it's done. Then you don't have to relocate anything! And all that 0 awg wire is kept nice and short, not having to route it all around your engine bay.

very cool, almost exactly like how I would set it up. So that’s the same slee compressor mount? Sounds like slee mounting bracket will be in order soon!

The mount is made by PowerTray (link to exact product I used: ARB / Solar PowerTray)

it's currently just sitting behind the fridge in the trunk area. Just a poor man's version of a goal zero. I'm going to be packing for a trip in a day, i'll try and snap a photo for you.

I am waiting to see what others do with mounting a second battery in the engine bay. That is my desired route but i'm hesitant to move smog stuff around. If it proves well over time, I may follow.

Last edited:

This is an indel b 50L. The footprint is the same for the 35-50L so I went for the biggest one. I did buy the side hinge flip kit to open the lid sideways. I’ll get around to it sometime.

3480BFCA-C389-4422-B7B2-FA2CAF5FA946.jpeg

ECDF7F42-E5A6-465A-B276-963A167E6D59.jpeg

A80E9C4B-9ED9-47AF-88CD-E9440259E61C.jpeg

6CBCFE5D-20EE-40A1-87BF-3670BFBB9458.jpeg

Who makes the fitted pad for the swing gate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom