Best rust converter paint in a spray can? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
Threads
As title.

My Tundra came to me with an overtightened battery arm/bridge, and it cracked the battery case -letting sulfuric acid solution have a party on my arm, hold-down rods, and battery tray / body.

Yea.

So I went crazy with the box of Arm & Hammer (soda) - but I just left it & added a new AGM battery, being gentle on the install.

Now it's time to get some good rust converter coating on the tray & front body rail, spraycan being the best way to get in there with the blind corners.

Suggestions?

VHT makes a decent spray rust converter. Find it on Amazon. But a more durable and more effective rust mitigator and coating is POR-15. It is brush on however. Process is: Degreaser-Acid etch-Top coat. You can buy a mini kit with everything you need for about $25.

I'm a POR-15 fanboy (most us in WA are, for the rain exposure on body/armor scratches to bare metal)

I hear you. i haven't seen POR-15 in spray form, and with the blind corners I do need something to hit those, like Duro Extend (sp) - so while I like brush thickness coating, the acid dripped/leaked down behind the tray & into blind spots in the crumple zone beams it sits on. ::sigh::

At least I caught it before real metal loss. Paint & primer is all gone tho.

If POR-15 came in areosol I think it would be a good seller.

If POR-15 came in areosol I think it would be a good seller.

POR 15 can be sprayed. Thin with their thinner 5% and wear an organic vapor respirator. The Harbor Freight purple spray gun is on sale for $8.99 right now. Spray the POR15 and toss the gun in the trash.

^That is the Top coat which is different than the rust preventative coating. I havent seen the rust preventative in an areosol yet.

^^^ +1.

I'd seen that stuff too, appreciate the try but it's not the same.

I'll prob do the disposable HF sprayer, I have a decent HVLP but wasn't going to risk it getting cemented w/ POR15.
At least then I can get some on the blind spots & brush on some where the friction points of the battery are, get it thicker there.

Not what you were asking for (a spray can, that is) but maybe this will be of some help

Attachments

• ZircPhos datasheets.pdf
    120.5 KB · Views: 326

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom