Best method for clean straight cuts in 25 gauge stainless sheet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a 2' x 3' sheet of 25 gauge 304 stainless steel to make a top covering and backsplash for a slide out kitchen I'm building for my 80 and so I need to make a few clean and very straight cuts in it. I have never cut sheet metal before but was going to once before so I do have a metal blade for my circular saw and a cheapo power shear on hand. Also a cheap table saw but it's not mine.
I cut extruded aluminum tubing with the circular saw once which went well but that's about it. Is it possible to use a straight guide with the shears like you would with a circular? Any advice would be great.

Best bet is with a shear, and use a brake for any bends.
If there is a local metal fabricator they would probably do it while you wait, for a few dollars.

25 ga. is quite light so your metal blade may do it, but you will probably get discolouration from the heat.

I'm not a metal worker but have worked with metal a number of times.

Alternately, rough cut it to within an 1/8 of an inch and use a laminate trimmer and a straight edge. The closer the rough cut, the less heat.

Ditto on finding a local small welding/machine/fabrication shop with a shear and a brake. I have one at work and it is da bomb for sheet metal work.

Do a test cut with your circular saw and you'll see why.

There's a place here in town but I know a welder there and he's about the last person I would want to see. A real A-hole.

I was originally thinking of sandwiching the SS sheet between two sheets of thin plywood and then cutting it all as one. This would solve the straight line problem and I hoped the edge issue too. But then I got to wondering about how this would slow down the blade and it's possible
effect on the edge.
I do also have a 10" table saw on loan from a friend that I was using to cut the HDPE sheets the unit is made from. But no 10" metal blade for it.

Can you use a straight edge guide with the shears? It looks like you could but it may be clumsy from the look of things. Anybody do it?

Last edited:
Nibbler. Definitely need a straight edge to keep it straight.

I hate cutting anything stainless steel. I have wore out many blades trying and still didn't get the results I wanted.

Big o'l shear is the only way I would cut SS.

Can opener ? Seriously the best way to go is with a pro.

Look for a commercial kitchen builder company. My family built kitchens for schools, hotels, etc.

Someone like that would cut it in no time for a little green.

Last edited:
If you want it to look right, take it to a pro with a shear & a press brake.

If you're determined to DIY:
1) practice by cutting WIDE of the mark until you figure out the technique;
2) no, shears don't work well against straightedges;
3) yes, you might get a good result with a clamped straightedge & a circular saw with a few common carbide blades (they'll wear out, and you'll throw them away);
4) yes, the table saw would be about the same as the circular - buy a few blades, and return the ones you don't use;
5) DON'T use a friction-type (toothless) metal-cutting blade - it works by heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom