Best CB Radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.elirubelphotography.com
Ok so Im shopping for CB's. The last one I had, the PO had installed and it was a cheap small radioshack unit. Now im looking for a nice one, started to think about going with a handheld...anyone have experience comparing the handhelds vs. normal? Is the range hugely effected. Ive heard good things about cobra as a brand...

If you were to buy a CB, what would you go for?

Handhelds have significantly less range then a mounted unit. The antenna is the problem. Get an adapter to connect a magnet mount antenna or buy a handheld that includes the adapater like the Midland 75-822.

As far as mounted units go, it all depends on the features that you want. They all put out the same power. Do you want weather reception, dual channel monitoring, advanced noise reduction, built-in SWR meter, PA ability, etc.

Do some research and decide what features you want then you can choose the best CB for you.

I have this one:
http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=6&id=1

I have had good luck with all of my CBs

Uniden pro538w
Realistic something or the other
Radio shack unit...
Cobra 18wxst
cobra 18wxstII
Cobra 75wxst

Your antenna and tuning is what makes the difference.

Search the outfitting section, but this will probly get moved there anyway

i have gone throu many radios. one of my favorites is a
uniden pro 510XL

a little bitty radio. what a tuff radio it is.

if you want high end, get an export edition Galaxy 99V

one of the worst radios i own is a very new cobra 19DX IV
but thats just the one model.
a cobra 148 comes with various options, and it is a good reliable unit.

if you are a serious yapper, then you mite want to consider a high end model. because you'll always want more power, and you want to 'get out'

and check the SWR before transmitting on a new setup.

:cheers:

Don't drop a lot of coin on a CB. They all operate at 4 watts. My favorite it the Uniden 510 and 520. Roughly $40-$50. These work great for trail yak. I have a 520 in my 80 series.

I got a couple of Midland 1000s. Crappy radio but I got 3 seasons out of them and they worked great until they didn't. $11 each! The one in my 60 died, but the one in my FJ40 is still going strong.

Seriously, get a good CB antenna, and a cheap radio.

A lot of it depends on where you plan to mount it. Of the radios I had on hand I used my old Pres Lincoln. Fits between the seats, mounted to my center console. If I had to buy a radio, I'd pick a Cobra 25 LTD, or Uniden PC 66. Good basic radio , can be upgraded, proven design. A good antenna is a must, doesn't have to be $$$. I use a Wilson silver load ( 4' fiberglass/tunable tip ) on my 40, have tried many different ones back when I drove OTR, to me Wilson, and Francis gave the most bang for the buck. Buy a SWR meter, there fairly cheap, and if your in a club/group will help everyone get the most out of there systems. HTH, Al

silly people.....the best is the Toyota :D
111024876.jpg

WOW, John you are the only dude I know who would have a Toyota factory CB in a mint uncut 40 dash. :D

Sweet pic thanks for sharing.

Rezarf <><

i have gone throu many radios. one of my favorites is a
uniden pro 510XL

a little bitty radio. what a tuff radio it is.

if you want high end, get an export edition Galaxy 99V

one of the worst radios i own is a very new cobra 19DX IV
but thats just the one model.
a cobra 148 comes with various options, and it is a good reliable unit.

if you are a serious yapper, then you mite want to consider a high end model. because you'll always want more power, and you want to 'get out'

and check the SWR before transmitting on a new setup.

:cheers:

I agree almost 100% with Wristpin on this one. You almost can't beat the quality of the old tried and true Uniden 510 or 520 for a cheap OTS radio that'll last almost forever.

That said The Gallaxy 99v that he's linked you to is one of the sweetest units around. If you get into running power, this is a nice unit for doing it. It's actually the radio I've been wanting to go with for the 60 for quite some time. And now that I'm getting close to actually firing the rig up for the 1st time in nearly 3 years this will be one of my next few purchases. That along with a nice little "foot warmer" for those cold nights.

If hand helds truly have a much shorter range than fixed units that boggles the mind.

X2 on buying a good antenna, I spent more on my antenna than my CB and send/receive better than most units I have contacted.

What unit would I buy? One I wouldn't mind having stolen, the cheapest Radio Shack POS I could find.

2M is the wave of the future baby.;)

If hand helds truly have a much shorter range than fixed units that boggles the mind.

X2 on buying a good antenna, I spent more on my antenna than my CB and send/receive better than most units I have contacted.

What unit would I buy? One I wouldn't mind having stolen, the cheapest Radio Shack POS I could find.

2M is the wave of the future baby.;)

I agree with all of this, but Radio Shack sucks. Get a Uniden 510 referb if you want cheap and good.

2m is it. You want to talk 100 miles, we've done it. You want to chat with folks in the towns you pass through-easy. You want to talk useless trail chat, no problem. You want to call out in an emergency-this is the way. You want a radio that actually works instead of sort-of-occacionally-works, Ham radio, and especailly 2m is where it is. Take your test and get your license. It isn't hard.

KI6CXS

Cobra 148 GTL. Take it to a local CB shop after purchase and have it tuned for 35 bucks. These CBs when tuned properly can put out a little more than standard CBs. Just ask a trucker, most have the 148. It also has a built in SWR meter to help calibrate your antenna. I have one, it's da bomb and very strong.

Mike.

I agree with all of this, but Radio Shack sucks. Get a Uniden 510 referb if you want cheap and good.

2m is it. You want to talk 100 miles, we've done it. You want to chat with folks in the towns you pass through-easy. You want to talk useless trail chat, no problem. You want to call out in an emergency-this is the way. You want a radio that actually works instead of sort-of-occacionally-works, Ham radio, and especailly 2m is where it is. Take your test and get your license. It isn't hard.

KI6CXS

I bought the tiny (even smaller than the Uniden 510/520) because it fit perfectly under my radio in the hundie. It performs well with the exception of the cheap and flimsy friction fit mike connection...it seems to have gotten broken in because it works OK now...but the Uniden would be the overall choice for a CB used for trail communications where all the extra features of a large unit do not come into play.

X3 for 2m. FYI: Our local Landcruiser club (BBCNN) has taken the cue from the Norcal 80's group and committing to 2m!

This is the hottest CB radio on the market right now. It’s the Cobra GTL 200 DX. It’s marketed and sold as a 10 meter amateur radio but it’s really a 100 watt CB. Its just a loop hole to get around the FCC rules regarding a radio having a 4 watt output. There is a simple modification you do to program the radio for the CB band. Its even has a CB Channel display in addition to the freq. Display. They sell on ebay for 215 dollars. It’s gonna be tough putting one in an FJ40. I recommend the using the aftermarket shelf tray or if you run a roll cage to simply weld a steel plate across the cage to have an overhead mount for your radio among other things. If you own a modified radio , never ever use any freq. above 27.999. The amatuer radio band begins at 28mz so please stay away from the 10 meter ham band if you do not have a license.

08_1.JPG

An older Cobra 29 is a good choice. Pick them up used for $50. Heavier duty internals and more potentila for "tuning" than the newer ones. The Uniden 68 is basically just a rebadged Cobra.

These are a full size rig, so you won't have as many mounting options as you might have with a smaller radio. But they offer a lot more features (mic gain, RF gain, being the two most useful.

Everyone likes to say that a cheap radio will work as good as a nicer one if you have a good antenna. Not really. Spend a little more and get a radio that lasts longer, receives better, transmitts better and sounds a heck of a lot better. Not to mention that a good quality unit (especially older ones) almoist alwasy has extra power just waiting to be released. I learned not to count pennies on my radio gear and I've spent the last couple of years trying to pound that through the heads of the folks who wheel with me. One last hold out who refuses to believe that their radio is the reason that no one can hear them and they can't hear anyone else.

We should all be running 2 meters before spring gets here. CBs will be secondary then. But we'll still keep them in the rigs.

Nothing wrong with buying a smaller, less featured CB. The Uniden 510 and 520 are good units. But if it's going to be your primary commo and you wil be using it often, give serious though to something with a little more size and features.

Mark...

I'm not even considering a CB. I've got a multiband ham radio going it for REAL coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom