Belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tried using search but didn’t find as much as i was hoping i would. I have 3FE squeaky belt syndrome, it’s really bad. I had aftermarket 10 year old belts on there for awhile and when i switched over to OEM Toyota, the sound went away for about 3 months. Best 3 months of my life, then it slowly came back. Replaced power steering pump pulley ($$) and it was gone for about a month. Tightening up the belts doesnt do much. I was reading that the belts that were on it when new were smooth on both sides and not ribbed, whereas the ones still available from toyota now are ribbed on one side. Could that cause the problem? Where would i find smooth belts? I saw that someone switched to Gates belts and had the noise go away, but i dont think theirs was as bad as mine. Worth a shot? Will probably replace tensioner and idler pulleys if i replace belts as well. Going through the usual squeaky belt diagnostics, it is in fact the belts themselves and not a misalignment or component failure, as far as i can tell. You can hear it from a block away, please help!

I tried to do the test where u spray water on the inside of the belt to see which one it is. The sound briefly completely went away when i sprayed the PS pump pulley. The sound also got quieter when i sprayed the AC tensioner pulley. Which are two different belts. Couldnt spray the third belt because i couldnt find access. There’s two different noises, a constant noise that doesnt sound like a squeal, just a constant somewhat-high frequency noise. Then there’s the actual belt squeal which is inconsistent sounding. Both go away when i initially sprayed the ps pump pulley, and the squeal stayed away while i was spraying but the somewhat high-frequency noise came back somewhat quickly and didnt really want to go away again even though i was still spraying. I have a video of me doing all of this with the noises if it will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom