Beer Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I love hefeweizen. They sold it with a lemon in Germany and the men called you ca fag if you drank it.

It was either that or horrid Bitburger in my town's Gasthouse.

Live Oak Brewing in Austin makes an outstanding hefe. Beer Advocate ranks it in the top 10 nationally. Unfortunately they don't bottle or I'd bring you some on the next MS expedition.

Live Oak HefeWeizen

BA SCORE
world-class

Brewed by:
Live Oak Brewing Company [URL="http://beeradvocate.com/im/i_website.gif"] [/URL]
Texas, United States

Ever try Spaten Optimator during your time in Deutschland?

Hump day
image-603626270.jpg

Yep Nolen Bitburger sux!

I know it's a school night, but this Thursday Lucky Town Brewery will be launching it's Kickstarter campaign with a party at Wingstop on State St. Pre-order tickets are $30 for all the craft beer you can drink and all the wings you can eat. Beers include Abita Restoration, Yazoo Hefewiezen, Yazoo Hop Project, Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan.

Lucky Town will be Mississippi's second brewery and will be located in the Jackson area.

Details here:

Kickstart Bold Beer Party

I'd be there if I wasn't out of town on Thurs. Should be a hoot. Good guys.

I know it's a school night, but this Thursday Lucky Town Brewery will be launching it's Kickstarter campaign with a party at Wingstop on State St. Pre-order tickets are $30 for all the craft beer you can drink and all the wings you can eat. Beers include Abita Restoration, Yazoo Hefewiezen, Yazoo Hop Project, Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan.

Lucky Town will be Mississippi's second brewery and will be located in the Jackson area.

Details here:

Kickstart Bold Beer Party

Educate me on current Mississippi beer laws. Are they still prohibited from brewing and/or selling beer with higher than 5% ABW? Or was Spivey able to get that ridiculous statute changed?

Educate me on current Mississippi beer laws. Are they still prohibited from brewing and/or selling beer with higher than 5% ABW? Or was Spivey able to get that ridiculous statute changed?

6%, but yeah--they're still fighting that law. Part of the motivation to open another brewery--if you can't get good beer sold in MS, make your own. I've got a keg of their Oatmeal Maple Stout at my house. Good stuff.

100K foot view as far as I understand is that it's illegal to make booze from grains without a license. About 200K in bonds and other junk to get a license. The baptists and the big money beer lobby will stand up together and make the law tough to change.

The brewery that is doing this thing has everything in motion to become a legal brewery. Rumor on the street is that the law showed up at the house where they were brewing a few months ago and made them quit brewing.

100K foot view as far as I understand is that it's illegal to make booze from grains without a license. About 200K in bonds and other junk to get a license. The baptists and the big money beer lobby will stand up together and make the law tough to change.

The brewery that is doing this thing has everything in motion to become a legal brewery. Rumor on the street is that the law showed up at the house where they were brewing a few months ago and made them quit brewing.

No, they got a letter from the MS tax commission to cease brewing and quit giving it away at events until they are licensed. MS is also one of the only states where homebrewing is illegal. They're on track to have beer hitting taps in 6-8 months.

The baptists and the big money beer lobby will stand up together and make the law tough to change.

What a crock of $hit. IMO it's the big beer lobby that keeps craft brewers handcuffed. BMC is the evil empire, and you'll never convince me they aren't paying off legislators to protect their interests.

Every one of those asshat politicians should be forced to watch this documentary and then pass a test on the history of beer.

How Beer Saved the World | Watch Free Documentary Online

BTW, I don't think Baptists are as intractable on drinking as they once were. Hard to defend their total abstinence position when everyone knows Jesus and his disciples liked to tip a few. One of the richest men in Texas, billionaire Howard Butt, also happens to be a dedicated and very vocal Southern Baptist. His grocery store chain has one of the best craft beer selections you'll find in North America.

Pardon my rant. This discussion makes me thirsty. Cold and raining here. Time for a Victory Storm King Imperial Stout, chock full of vitamins and protein. :cheers:

you hanging with Kowboy tonight?

Here's some solid educational material:

25 Cheap Beers to Avoid at All Costs | College Happenings - This is where it’s happening on campus

I'm not too proud to admit that I've had 20 of these brews. That's a solid 80%. In fact I've had a lot of some of them. I've even had a few that were worse than anything on this list--Buckhorn, Texas Pride, even grocery store generic beer. Back in the day of course. :eek:

When I was a kid I was out on the street drinking beer with my buddies and the cops drove up so we dumped our hot 6 pack of Hamm's in the sewer drain (side drain in the curve)

Cops came, hassled us, told us to go home.

They went around the corner and snuck back just as I was trying to hand that Hamm's back to my friend Will.

Will had hauled ass.

The cops hauled me out and one of them said "Son, if you are going to crawl in a sewer, you neeed to do it for better beer than this Hamm's s***"

They made me pour it in the drain......

When I was a kid I was out on the street drinking beer with my buddies and the cops drove up so we dumped our hot 6 pack of Hamm's in the sewer drain (side drain in the curve)

Cops came, hassled us, told us to go home.

They went around the corner and snuck back just as I was trying to hand that Hamm's back to my friend Will.

Will had hauled ass.

The cops hauled me out and one of them said "Son, if you are going to crawl in a sewer, you neeed to do it for better beer than this Hamm's ****"

They made me pour it in the drain......

That's a great story Nolen. You should include it in your memoirs. I thought you were gonna say the cops retrieved that Hamm's from the sewer, for themselves.

My late uncle owned a club on Bourbon Street in the 50's. His best selling beer was Jax. When he died and they were closing the place I was in high school. I begged my parents to salvage all the cool neon Jax beer signs. I wanted to hang them in my bedroom. My Southern Baptist Mom was horrified, and they ended up being hauled to the dump. Probably would have been worth a small fortune now. :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom