Bed interchangeability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an 87 Pickup shortbed 4wd with a very rusty bed, and I know a guy with an 82 4wd short bed which is practically rust free. How interchangeable are the beds from generation to generation?

I'm at college right now so my toolset is limited, the areas I'm particularly worried about are the frame mounts locations, filler neck, and wheel well location.

Thanks for the help. :)

I typically see the third gen beds swapped onto the second gen trucks - likely because there are more of them than good first gen beds still available.

Here's the frame diagram for your '87:
index.php

You can use that to compare dimensions to the '82 bed - or find a FSM online with the '82 measurements to compare. I'm guessing that it isn't going to be an exact match and you're going to have to do some "adjusting" for it to fit.

In swapping an '85 Xcab body onto my '80 swb frame they did not line up directly. Positioned so that the bed wheel wells were over the tires the frame/bed mounts were of by about an inch and a half. My fix was 1"x1" square tubing cut at an angle /__/ . This allowed bolts to be accessed from either end and have room to get my fingers in there to get things started. Sturdy and practical.

Will they line up straight, probably not. But it can be made to work.

Next will be grafting the tail lights...

As "Tim the tool man Taylor" used to say on TV: "Measure twice, cut once." You can do most of the measuring yourself and find out. Time consuming and a dirty job, but it can be done.

Ya know, even if it's a direct fit, you will still wind up with a bed that is very prone to rusting, unless you treat the underside with something like POR15 before you install it. Personally, I'd go with a fiberglass bed:

toyotafiberglass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom