Beatsonic Smartphone Mirroring Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Following my thread regarding the Crux WVITY-01 not fitting the 2016 Land Cruiser radio, I kept searching for something similar that would fit onto the stock radio and offer the following:

1.) Unlock all greyed out menu and video functions while moving
2.) Offer iphone and android screen mirroring to the A/V channel which can be viewed on the front dash screen as well as the rear screens
3.) Have a proven track record as a company without too many blemishes on their record

Beatsonic has good reviews from various things I've seen and the biggest complaint I found related to their products were the high prices, not the quality. After seeing Beatsonic's IF-04EP offers all of the above, I gave them a call to explain I'd already tried to fit Crux's WVITY-01. After a little back and forth, we came to the conclusion that the 2016 LC should work with the IF-04EP and if it doesn't then they'll provide a full refund.

To break this down, there are 4 parts at work here...

1.) The Beatsonic IF-04EP which bypasses the cabling to your stock radio to provide the A/V input for a mirroring device
2.) The HDMI adapter which converts your HDMI input (from an iphone lightning cable or a miracast box) to an A/V output
3.) The Beatsonic NDS6223EP Navigation and DVD control bypass module which bypasses the cabling to your stock radio to enable what's commonly known as "Video in Motion" (unlock all greyed out menu and video functions while moving)
4.) With the above, you have an HDMI input so you can take in anything HDMI, but to cast Beatsonic recommends the Netgear Push2TV. I ordered this and tested it in my home. Works just fine connecting via miracast built in to the OS in my phone, no apps necessary as long as you're using a phone that supports miracast. This appears to be one of the best solutions you can find today based on my limited research, given every other miracast box I've found out there doesn't have a major brand standing behind it. Note that the Push2TV is listed as "end of life" on Netgear's website, so no Netgear support.

I'll be receiving the IF-04EP today. I'll take a look at those and reply here if I see anything to note. I don't want to be the first person to post a trim teardown of the dash for a 2016 LC because I'm 99% sure I'll scratch or break something. I tried using the 2015 video on youtube, but the trim is different, angles are different, so tabs appear to have moved a little bit. I'm going to schedule with the same company that tried the Crux install and ask that they take some pics I can post of the connections before/during/after the connection to the radio.

I'm interested to see how this works out and what it costs. Can you direct the video to the rear screen but still use the front screen with normal audio (like how a rear DVD currently works)?

I've been tinkering with the idea of getting a RaspberryPi installing Plex Home Theater on it, then connecting it to the AV input so my kids can watch movies without a wallet full of DVDs. Plus I could fit a ton of movies on a 128GB USB thumb drive, which would save me the hassle of burning my mpg/avi files to DVD. I could just give my kids cheap Android tablets but then I have to deal with syncing movies to them.

I'm interested in this too. Have also thought about connecting a Chromecast to the AUX and run it from my hotspot (unlimited data). Benefit to this would be that I don't have to tie up my phone to "mirror" since the Chromecast pulls the data down directly form the source (netflix, google, etc...) unless you're just casting your screen in which case yes it would mirror.

But in the end I generally come to the realization that a couple cheap Android tablets (2 kids) and headphones which is what my current situation is, is better for everyone -- no fights over what to watch, and I can still have my music and nav on the main system (running via bluetooth from my phone). Everyone's setup/needs are different though.

In the package with the IF-04EP equipment I received from Beatsonic were instructions for how to remove the dash trim, screen unit, and head unit. Very detailed, down to where every single clip is on the piece you're working out. With this info, I got gutsy and did the install myself. It worked like a charm. I was a little scared at first, but after I pulled a few pieces off I realized how the clips work and felt confident with the rest. I was going to take pictures along the way, but honestly I could not beat their instructions. If you're doing this install, they're your best bet.

The instructions come in a few pieces. One is for the physical installation of the NDS6223EP, one for the software setup of the NDS6223EP, and one for the IF-04EP physical/software install. They're all very straightforward and easy to follow. I ran into one single issue on step 15 of the physical NDS6223EP install where it says to daisy chain the steering wheel controller to a cable that should already be plugged into the head unit, but there is no cable there, the port is unoccupied. Given all the cabling is different and things can only fit in one place I looked at the cabling for the screen unit and sure enough there was the right cable. I gave Beatsonic a call. They weren't open yet, so I finished the rest of the install while I waited. I called them 30 minutes before they open (they open @ 9am pacific) and they answered. (Side note: when I have called Beatsonic, I have always gotten an answer during their business hours and the very first person I talk to has my answer, no holding, no passing the phone) I mentioned the documentation discrepancy and he said to not daisy chain anything, but instead just plug the NDS6223EP's steering wheel controller cable into the open port where it should go in the head unit and forget modifying the cable going into the screen unit. Spoiler: that worked.

After installing the NDS6223EP, I connected the cabling for the IF-04EP and had to decide where to put it. Do I leave it hanging in the floor out the side of the trim? Do I leave some cables dangling? Do I run it under the carpet and have the units sit underneath the seat? I landed on wanting it in the glove box upper area because it would be enclosed, stationary, and easily accessible. I drilled out a small area on the upper left side towards the front near the opening latch. Looking through the back of the dash, that was a safe area to drill as long as I only push the drill hard enough to make the hole and no further; there are some wires behind that side about an inch away.

To sum up before I link pictures and videos, I am able to play DVD's and the A/V line while driving, with the A/V red/white/yellow cable being in the glove box along with a 2-slot USB power source. The power source is currently used to power Beatsonic's HDMI to AV converter and the Netgear Push2TV. The converter connects to the A/V cables on the A/V side and to the Push2TV on the HDMI side. With all this connected, I'm able to use the wireless display feature in Android to mirror my phone screen to the dash screen while driving. The A/V function is also accessible via the two rear-seat screens, whether it's on the front dash or not.

Now for videos:

Showing the video in motion for DVD:

Showing the video in motion for A/V:

Showing the video in motion for A/V while phone mirroring (This normally looks just fine. The screen was very choppy because it was me recording a video, which obviously was not going to be the best): 2016 Land Cruiser Beatsonic IF-04EP Phone Mirroring Android

Showing the placement of the vital IF-04EP parts in the glove box: 2016 Land Cruiser Beatsonic IF-04EP Glove Box Placement

Here you can see the A/V signal going to all 3 screens (currently on the Netgear Push2TV default screen waiting for a connection):

K67gXxr.jpg

Update with some new info: apparently Google decided to drop Miracast support in default Android builds of version 7 (Nougat). I found out because I bought a Moto Z Force and couldn't connect to the push2tv install here. They removed it "in favor of Chromecast support", but Chromecast does not let you mirror your screen in a direct connection. You have to have both devices connected to the same wifi network OR you have to have the Chromecast connected to an internet-connected wifi and you can do "guest mode". Neither of these two options allow you to achieve the same result with a single phone and a single casting device. You have to have a third.

After trying tons of various alternatives, the end result is I've joined the armies of documented complaints to Google to bring back Miracast and I found that Samsung provides proprietary support for Miracast in their version of Android, so I'm trading my new phone in for a S7 Edge. I tested the push2tv in a Verizon store and the S7 could see it, connect, and mirror the screen. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Thanks for the update, while i don't have a '16 but an '11. I'm trying to get a jump on figuring out something to do stock head unit also. Right now i'm thinking about buying the climate controls and radio from a non-navigation 200, then converting that radio to my own head unit. Keep it up, your posts are definitely paving the way.

I've had an S7 edge for a few weeks now and I can say it works fine with miracast and the push2tv device. The audio does often get a little bit off from the video, but that happens with miracast. One time after driving a couple hours the push2tv device froze and we had to pull the power on it while driving to reboot it. It worked immediately after rebooting. May have overheated, not sure.

Do you know if this will work on the 2013-2015 Landcruisers? The Beatsonic Japan site says it works with 2013 – 2018 Toyota Landcruiser with EMV Navigation. I'd like to screen mirror my iPhone and have a Fire TV Stick connected to the HDMI.

Lexus Smartphone Mirroring Adapter

Also found this video but its in Russian, so not sure what adapter they used.

Do you know if this will work on the 2013-2015 Landcruisers? The Beatsonic Japan site says it works with 2013 – 2018 Toyota Landcruiser with EMV Navigation. I'd like to screen mirror my iPhone and have a Fire TV Stick connected to the HDMI.

Lexus Smartphone Mirroring Adapter

Also found this video but its in Russian, so not sure what adapter they used.

I would call beatsonic and ask. I did before I ordered mine.

In theory, you could run an amazon fire stick off the hdmi input right? And connect to your phone as a hot spot.
Just test in home if you have one. I have the old unlimited data plan that doesn't allow hotspots so I can't use it that way. It's a HDMI and usb port, so it should power up and you can see it on the screen, at least.

Just test in home if you have one. I have the old unlimited data plan that doesn't allow hotspots so I can't use it that way. It's a HDMI and usb port, so it should power up and you can see it on the screen, at least.

Try the PdaNet+ app or FoxFi app for a hotspot on a grandfathered V unlimited plan. FoxFi worked great for years. I bought the pro version when the trial period expired so my kids could use the tablet on roadtrips. New Android software/phones need PdaNet+ because FoxFi has been blocked. PdaNet+ is free though it may require a license for full functionality.

Last edited:
If you dont have rear seat DVD, can you stream video to the front screen with this? Also will the front CD player play DVDs?

Being able to access nav functions while under way is plenty reason for me to do this upgrade, but those other things might be neat too.

Following my thread regarding the Crux WVITY-01 not fitting the 2016 Land Cruiser radio, I kept searching for something similar that would fit onto the stock radio and offer the following:

1.) Unlock all greyed out menu and video functions while moving
2.) Offer iphone and android screen mirroring to the A/V channel which can be viewed on the front dash screen as well as the rear screens
3.) Have a proven track record as a company without too many blemishes on their record

Beatsonic has good reviews from various things I've seen and the biggest complaint I found related to their products were the high prices, not the quality. After seeing Beatsonic's IF-04EP offers all of the above, I gave them a call to explain I'd already tried to fit Crux's WVITY-01. After a little back and forth, we came to the conclusion that the 2016 LC should work with the IF-04EP and if it doesn't then they'll provide a full refund.

To break this down, there are 4 parts at work here...

1.) The Beatsonic IF-04EP which bypasses the cabling to your stock radio to provide the A/V input for a mirroring device
2.) The HDMI adapter which converts your HDMI input (from an iphone lightning cable or a miracast box) to an A/V output
3.) The Beatsonic NDS6223EP Navigation and DVD control bypass module which bypasses the cabling to your stock radio to enable what's commonly known as "Video in Motion" (unlock all greyed out menu and video functions while moving)
4.) With the above, you have an HDMI input so you can take in anything HDMI, but to cast Beatsonic recommends the Netgear Push2TV. I ordered this and tested it in my home. Works just fine connecting via miracast built in to the OS in my phone, no apps necessary as long as you're using a phone that supports miracast. This appears to be one of the best solutions you can find today based on my limited research, given every other miracast box I've found out there doesn't have a major brand standing behind it. Note that the Push2TV is listed as "end of life" on Netgear's website, so no Netgear support.

I'll be receiving the IF-04EP today. I'll take a look at those and reply here if I see anything to note. I don't want to be the first person to post a trim teardown of the dash for a 2016 LC because I'm 99% sure I'll scratch or break something. I tried using the 2015 video on youtube, but the trim is different, angles are different, so tabs appear to have moved a little bit. I'm going to schedule with the same company that tried the Crux install and ask that they take some pics I can post of the connections before/during/after the connection to the radio.
Just to be clear, if you order the IF 04EP, does it have everything you need? ie, does it come with the NDS unit or did you order that separately? From the IF unit description, it looks like it has a Video In Motion aspect to it.

Just to be clear, if you order the IF 04EP, does it have everything you need? ie, does it come with the NDS unit or did you order that separately? From the IF unit description, it looks like it has a Video In Motion aspect to it.
The only thing that doesn't come with it is the netgear unit. Again, you don't have to use that one, you can use whatever works for you, but that one was recommended and has worked for me. The important point to remember is that if you use the netgear you need to have miracast on your phone... on Samsung, that's "smart view".

Some folks have mentioned using a chromecast/fire stick with your phone's wifi, I would assume that would work but it's not something I can test, myself, currently.

If you dont have rear seat DVD, can you stream video to the front screen with this? Also will the front CD player play DVDs?

Being able to access nav functions while under way is plenty reason for me to do this upgrade, but those other things might be neat too.

Yes, the beatsonic unit creates the video for the front screen. You can also tap into that on the rear screens if you wish.

The only thing that doesn't come with it is the netgear unit. Again, you don't have to use that one, you can use whatever works for you, but that one was recommended and has worked for me. The important point to remember is that if you use the netgear you need to have miracast on your phone... on Samsung, that's "smart view".

Some folks have mentioned using a chromecast/fire stick with your phone's wifi, I would assume that would work but it's not something I can test, myself, currently.
Awesome. Placing order now. Thanks for the review.

I don’t see one for the LC on their site. Did you order the one for the LX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom