Beartooth off grid comms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brother just pre-ordered a dozen of these. They connect to you cell phone with blutooth and let you communicate with other users without cell service. They claim to have up to a 5 mile range for voice with line of site, and up to 2 mile with no line of site. Their website says they will ship late this year. May be useful for groups and families that don't have everyone HAM licensed.

Beartooth - Communicate Off the Grid

Now I just need to talk him into giving me a pair of them...

That's very interesting. I like the fact it uses mesh to extend the range (potentially). Now, I didn't see on their website, but I am assuming they will only communicate with other Beartooth units, meaning one by itself is useless?

Very neat idea.

As far as I know, they will only communicate to other beartooths (bearteeth?). My brother ordered some then was sent an email about upgrading his order, so he is getting 12 units for $400. I have convinced him to give me a pair. I know that my wife won't ever go get her HAM license and thought that this would be a good thing for her to have when we go on outings.

One could buy a dozen Baofengs for half the money and have more range, user ability, interoperability, battery life and more.

Last edited:
Another alternative is the goTenna, which I have heard good things about.

Advantages of Beartooth
  • Texting, the preferred method of communication for almost anybody under 25 nowadays
  • Photo sharing.
Disadvantages of Baofeng
  • Everybody in your group using the radio has to have at least a tech license. In the last decade, my luck with convincing somebody to get a license is zero.
Personally I'm partial to the 2m radios but then I am an old guy.

I'm sure most people with the Baofeng are not license holders. If one has to instantly share photos while having their head down texting while supposedly enjoying Mother Nature are wasting their time outdoors . Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom