Basic Re-gearing question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run 4.88's w/ 315/75-16 BFG M/T--they are perfect. Great around town--plenty of power for me :) When I was researching I heard that reider racing(precision gear) makes the best aside from Toyota. They never made any noise while breaking in--heard that yukons are noisy at first. Anyhow if you are keeping the Cruiser go for it. I also used to have a 4Runner and ran revo 285's--perfect for that application. :)

I'm running 4.88s on LA CABRA and I'm very pleased. Going up to Tahoe now seems like something doable with my 35" tires.
No more riding on the slow slow lane. I got the gears from Precision and had a local shop ( River City Differentials ) do the work. Just great. Never had a problem.

Regards

Alvaro

ShottsUZJ100 said:
This was the PERFECT thread for me to read.

I am re-gearing my new LX I just bought. I wasn't sure on the 4.56 or 4.88 though now have decided on 4.88s.

NEW QUESTION: What brand and who should I buy from? Cost for both sets? Do I need "install kits? I'll be re-gearing and adding ARB lockers at the same time. THANKS!

Another vote for Precision Gear. They have been excellent and quiet. I expected some additional gear noise, but they are no different from stock, ie silent.

The install kits are the bearing kits and seals. If I were doing this now, I would have purchased that stuff from Toyota (Cruiserdan). I ended up using Toyota seals anyway, but I would have preferred the Toyota bearings and crush sleeve. Still, no issues so far. We are fortunate in that there is an excellent differential shop in the area, and the owner is a mini-truck 4wheeler and super familiar with Toyota diffs, ARBs etc. If you're local-River City Differentials is the place to go.

On Velveeta Wag...when setting up the Ring and Pinion it had no crush sleeve. I assume that the 80 series do? I will have to have a look-see before I have at it.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
This was the PERFECT thread for me to read.

I am re-gearing my new LX I just bought. I wasn't sure on the 4.56 or 4.88 though now have decided on 4.88s.

NEW QUESTION: What brand and who should I buy from? Cost for both sets? Do I need "install kits? I'll be re-gearing and adding ARB lockers at the same time. THANKS!

Shotts,

Get the gears from Precision and from CDan the bearings and seals.
Once you install them, drive under 35 Mph for 15 miles. Let it cool down. A perfect way to do this is to go down to your favorite watering hole. Have a beer and go back home. Then keep it slow for the next 500 miles. No hard starts, no hard cornering. Then change the oil.

Regards

Alvaro

lowtideride said:
On Velveeta Wag...when setting up the Ring and Pinion it had no crush sleeve. I assume that the 80 series do? I will have to have a look-see before I have at it.

On FJ60s, a crush sleeve is required to properly set the preload on the pinion bearings. If you have older differentials (ie from a pre'79 FJ40) it will use shims instead. Are you sure you didn't leave something out?

Yulp.... :D

my rig is Nov. 81...they use shims. along with all the other fj60s up until 84 i believe. I know you thinks pros should only set them up, but I would rather know how to set them up so when and if my rig or some elses rig breaks a pinion im not stuck on the trail not knowing what to do becuase I paid someone else to do it.

desertdude said:
John, your buddy Scott recommends - 4Wheelers Supply in Phoenix

Oh ya. They did the lockers in the 100. They did a SUPER job.

I'll again go to them. I'll again get the lockers from them. I'll ask them if they want supply Precision Gears and the Toyota install kits or not.

And 4.88 is the number and the watering hole stop home sounds good. :)

THANKS ALL!

alkaline747trio said:
Kinda thread jacking here...but I plan to regear, put on 33's, and get an aussie rear locker this winter. I was curious, with 33's, would 4.88's be too slow to take on a highway trip (70mph, 500 mile trip)? I plan to get lift and 35's this up comming summer, but don't want to have to pay for a new R&P for the 35's after putting in lower gearing for the 33's too. Also, with the 3FE, would 5.26's be better with 35/36's then with 4.88s? I don't do many highway trips, maybe 2 a year (one to the Appalacian mountains, the other to the OBX), the rest of my driving is sub 60mph and around town and trails.

I run 33's with stock gears not much worse than stock. I am however going to put in 4.56's in the future but I have no plans of running anything bigger than 33's. I wheel with samurai's some and am already to big for some of the places they want to go.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to do my regear. After a couple of days of reading, here's what I'm thinking:

1) Adding OEM lockers to a non-locked cruiser is way too expensive.

2) Regearing with good gears is probably about $1,300 or so, including labor.

3) Regearing by switching to OME air lockers is about $2,200 or so, including labor.

Can I get some confirmation on those prices from those that have done this?

Also, I have seen a few posts that make me think regearing may cause additional noise. How many people have had not been happy with the quality of their regear or OME lockers?

Thanks,

Tom

The issue of 5.29 gears being weaker than taller ratios is something I've heard of before, can't remember where but. I have had personal experience though with re-gearing Land Rover Defender 130s from the stock 4.11 ratio to 4.7ratio. The lower 4.7s had a smaller number of teeth on the pinion leaving them much weaker than standard.
BTW, what is the standard FZJ80 ratio? Over here in OZ my HZJ80 runs 4.3's whereas my mates HDJ80 runs 4.11's. Mine crawls noticeably slower than his with both of us running 33's.FWIW, I'm happy with my 1HZ/turbo/4.3/285's combo gearing wise and when I bolt on my 35" Pedes it still doesn't affect it enough to warrant regearing although if somebody makes a lower t/case gearset.......

IIRC, Mark's 4wd Adaptors do them for split case part time 4wd transfers but not for the constant 4wd transfers. Could be wrong though it's been a while since I checked their site though.
BTW, I also love Mark's Cruiser Crawler Box.:cool:

Ditto

Just did a quick search to find what the standard diff ratios are on FZJ's. My results gave me 4.11s as standard on FZJ's, is that correct? My HZJ has 4.3's as standard and is great with the turbo and 285's. OEM 4.3's might be an option for somebody who wants to regear but doesn't want 4.56's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom