ballpark cost of powder coating bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

txgringo

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a Slee Shortbus and a 4x4 dual swingout that were scraped pretty good in a wreck and I'm planning to get them re-powdercoated. I'm not ready to do the rear bumper yet, so I was just trying to get pricing for the front bumper. I sent pictures of the Shortbus to the two closest shops and got a price of $325 from one shop and an estimate of $275-$300 from the other. This includes stripping the old powder and applying a new coat.

I was expecting to pay somewhere in the $100-$150 range for the front bumper, so this was a bit of a shock. Am I out of touch with what powder coating costs, or should I get quotes from a couple more shops? With all the parts on the rear swingout bumper (bumper, arms, attachments) I'm going to have to sell a kidney or something to pay for all this work at these prices.

Paid $250 for this two-tone (center caps and stinger are a really dark brown to match the sliders and wheels (wheels that aren't in this photo)). Shop is in Lodi, CA. Will be getting a price on Thursday on the rear bumper I just picked up. Will report back here if it'll help.

Cheers,
rjones

20171001_135203 - Copy.jpg

Thanks. for sharing @rjones. Did that price include stripping an existing coating, or was it bare when they started?

I have a Slee Shortbus and a 4x4 dual swingout that were scraped pretty good in a wreck and I'm planning to get them re-powdercoated. I'm not ready to do the rear bumper yet, so I was just trying to get pricing for the front bumper. I sent pictures of the Shortbus to the two closest shops and got a price of $325 from one shop and an estimate of $275-$300 from the other. This includes stripping the old powder and applying a new coat.

I was expecting to pay somewhere in the $100-$150 range for the front bumper, so this was a bit of a shock. Am I out of touch with what powder coating costs, or should I get quotes from a couple more shops? With all the parts on the rear swingout bumper (bumper, arms, attachments) I'm going to have to sell a kidney or something to pay for all this work at these prices.
I don’t think these prices are far off. I know my local powder coat shop charges a higher fee when they have to remove existing powdercoat.

Thanks. for sharing @rjones. Did that price include stripping an existing coating, or was it bare when they started?

My bad, I should have included that info. It was bare metal and the aluminum wings portion was super clean already. They did sandblast it to clean it up, a little rust and oil, but I doubt that is as intensive/time consuming as stripping existing powder.

As delivered to the powder coater:

20170916_154517.jpg

20170916_154551.jpg

20170916_155046.jpg

Cheers,
rjones

You can definitely run into some cost with prep work - and definitely with stripping old work. I’d be wary of anyone too cheap even for bare metal because it means they aren’t putting the time into the prep.

Thanks for the reality check guys. I have received three prices from local shops, and it looks like they are all in line:

1. $275 for bumper, $70 for coil springs = $345 total
  2. $325 for bumper, $60 for coil springs = $385 total
  3. $300-$325 for bumper & coils (they didn't break out the cost for the different parts)

Ironically, the #3 price is the first quote that I got that I thought was too high! :doh:

Stripping powder coat is a bitch and very time consuming. If you could do that yourself you would same some $.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom