Bad ignition switch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would recommend @ToyotaMatt for the switch and wiring ;)

As far as "recommending", I can only say that if you have what is called, a universal ignition switch, they are available at most auto parts stores and Amazon. If you want a genuine Toyota switch, those places will probably have it. As you can see, a member above has it. So depends on which direction you want to go. Nothing "wrong" with either direction. One is for the purist, the other is for the practical/budget minded. You say it lasted 5-6 years. If you google "universal ignition switch" you will see many vendors. Your wiring and dash seem to be all ready for an exact replacement of what you had. No wiring, terminal crimping or splicing needed. That may or may not be a determining factor. Click on the word Amazon.
Again, thank you! You have saved me much time and money through this process. You are appreciated!!

You are welcome. I know in a specific forum like this that most frown on not using Toyota parts. But a rotary switch is quite simple and other than being not a pure part, the universal will be just as good. Now-a days even japan has expanded to other countries for parts. Nippon Denso, and the like, can get parts from even China (a WWII enemy), Many Toyota suppliers are from South Korea. With any vehicle and any part, it is getting harder and harder to tell who made it. Some of the biggest names in auto parts, AC Delco, TRW, Federal Mogul, etc. parts are made "Off Shore" as they say.

Last edited:
Again, thank you! You have saved me much time and money through this process. You are appreciated!!

You are welcome. I know in a specific forum like this that most frown on not using Toyota parts. But a rotary switch is quite simple and other than being not a pure part, the universal will be just as good. Now-a days even japan has expanded to other countries for parts. Nippon Denso, and the like, can get parts from even China (a WWII enemy), Many Toyota suppliers are from South Korea. With any vehicle and any part, it is getting harder and harder to tell who made it. Some of the biggest names in auto parts, AC Delco, TRW, Federal Mogul, etc. parts made "Off Shore" as they say.

You have FULL Battery Voltage and Current riding thru a $19.95 Pep Boz rock Auto Farm tractor switch !

are you really going to tell us your comfortable with Chinese TECH , and risking a DASH fire or break down over saving another $30 or so ?

i can state for a fact and for the record the Above TOYOTA ignition switch is 100% made in japan Parts , PERIOD

The whole reason we are having this conversation is because your very NEW looking switch could not make the cut and failed for some reason ?

i have a Good Bench tested Used Take off in - dash OEM TOYOTA switch lock ,

if i simply hook you up with it will you indeed use it ?

install it and give it a go ..........'

if so its yours no cost involved

theirs 2 catches :

- You Can NEVER SELL it , you don't like of want it for any reason , please return it , so it can help another member in need .......

- you have to use it and give it a go and shot with a open mind , im trying to help you out , nothing more .........

please let me know how i can help

here is your potential new to you switch ...

kinldy matt

A8478D8D-0B43-4B5F-B006-EA01EBE97746.jpeg
CCBCFE74-F602-4D10-8576-B7DBFB3DB5E1.jpeg
1E355B88-32C8-4278-A06F-D0930160DB45.jpeg
18AE85C2-60F7-4AA2-8AB1-19AE3CEE276B.jpeg

This sort of proves my point of "frowning". Calm down. The switch is $9 plus shipping, as I posted. The posted switch is $78 plus ship. The difference in price is $69. Let's at least get the figures straight. I did not say buy Chinese or a vendor switch is Chinese. I said that increasingly, Toyota/Japan is outsourcing to mostly South Korea. Nippon Denso included. Some parts may be outsourced to China. I said it is increasingly hard to determine who built a part or parts inside or who just assembled, just going by the name stamp.

It has been posted here that a Toyota switch was seen with copper of brass powder coming out of it. It has been posted here that the OP had the "unpure" switch for 5-6 years. The original question was how to determine what part was faulty. Second question is where to get a replacement. These were answered. Choices were given and the PO seems happy. Some here want to carry this on like someone attacked their family. Ridiculous.

A rotary switch is not rocket science. China is here to stay. Companies and consumers will always try to get the best value. Chinese manufacturing has improved. We are all blogging on here with Chinese computer parts. We are all driving vehicles with Chinese parts. We are taking Chinese pills. After all that, if you want to say a switch is only good if made by Toyota, in Japan......go for it but don't judge others. A forum is about helping, which offering a free switch is very nice, but the tone for doing so is too much drama for this simple low tech issue.

"Full Battery Voltage" is only 12VDC. Amp draw approx. 8A. The dash won't catch on fire. Toyota switches fail, that's why people here are selling replacements.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom