Bad dent rear tub FJ62 - help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year I backed into a cement pole in Mexico with no bumper. Yeah, stupid to drive to Mexico with no bumpers.

I'm not a bodywork expert, but I know enough to know it's not going to be an easy fix.

Would love any advice from those who know more than me on where to even start with this. Any chance of pulling it out? Or would cutting it and welding in a new section be necessary? A combination of both?

image.jpg

Won't let me attach multiple files to a post from my iPad. Weird.
image.jpg

image.jpg

In a separate but almost certainly related issue, she leaks a bit of diesel if I fill up above 2/3 tank or so now... depending on bumpiness of roads and angle of parking.

Ok no replies yet, but my plan so far is to drill a small hole, and push through some steel cable with an anchor on the inside. Then I'm thinking if I apply enough heat, perhaps I can use the 4-low gears and gravity to gently start to pull it out.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this technique??

You're problem lies I working around that filler assy. Plus by the looks of it, you have forced the lower hinge point on tailgate.
To start remove the taillight and inner panel. Get underneath and remove the cover under the filler assy and take bright light and
look around. Drop tail gate and start measuring. Fuel leak means you have ruptured one of about 6 lines that are in there doing
emissions work. You got to figure that out before you start cutting and welding.
Find out if that guy parting out the 62 has a decent rear quarter, right now, rusty might be better than bent.

The
You're problem lies I working around that filler assy. Plus by the looks of it, you have forced the lower hinge point on tailgate.
To start remove the taillight and inner panel. Get underneath and remove the cover under the filler assy and take bright light and
look around. Drop tail gate and start measuring. Fuel leak means you have ruptured one of about 6 lines that are in there doing
emissions work. You got to figure that out before you start cutting and welding.
Find out if that guy parting out the 62 has a decent rear quarter, right now, rusty might be better than bent.
The guy parting out the 62 is me, and unfortunately that exact rear quarter is mostly rust, foam, and fibreglass at the bottom or I would totally be buying a welder and cutting torch right now (this truck is 98% rust free so I don't want to transplant on some cancer).

Also I know the sign says "unleaded fuel only" but it's lying... the truck is diesel so not quite as flammable.

You think a new panel is the best option though hey?

Yeah, you have folded the metal right over on itself. That's more that just slide hammer work. So if the truck is
in fact that rust free, my personal response would be to keep it that way and fix it correctly.
There are people parting out complete vehicles. Tragedy, I hauled a BJ60 to the wrecker last year, and the rear was
a bit rusty, but sure could have been a good donor.
You're not driving it now, correct?

Yeah, you have folded the metal right over on itself. That's more that just slide hammer work. So if the truck is
in fact that rust free, my personal response would be to keep it that way and fix it correctly.
There are people parting out complete vehicles. Tragedy, I hauled a BJ60 to the wrecker last year, and the rear was
a bit rusty, but sure could have been a good donor.
You're not driving it now, correct?
Correct, not driving it now. I feel like to get a rust-free rear tub section like that I'd have to go to California...

How could you do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom