Bad Alternator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning everyone one,

while enjoying some leave in Las Vegas, my rig wouldn’t crank yesterday. I still had power to AC and stereo, but the engine wouldn’t crank. I decided to start with the battery and had it tested at the local autozone. They said it was bad, so I got a temporary replacement battery, and it seemed to do the trick. This morning I started it, and the engine wouldn’t crank again, except this time there was no power to the car after I tried one time.I had my grandpa jump start me and everything seemed normal (able to drive around town). Any idea as to where I should start from here? Thanks guys

Good morning everyone one,

while enjoying some leave in Las Vegas, my rig wouldn’t crank yesterday. I still had power to AC and stereo, but the engine wouldn’t crank. I decided to start with the battery and had it tested at the local autozone. They said it was bad, so I got a temporary replacement battery, and it seemed to do the trick. This morning I started it, and the engine wouldn’t crank again, except this time there was no power to the car after I tried one time.I had my grandpa jump start me and everything seemed normal (able to drive around town). Any idea as to where I should start from here? Thanks guys
Unless you find the answer quickly I would suggest you unhook one of the battery cables to possibly prevent any drain when parking overnight. Better yet install a battery disconnect switch.

First look at fusible links, fuses and grounds. The fusible links are in the little black box just outside of the battery box to the alternator. I would check each ground for corrosion, the main one at the back of the fire wall just behind the heater valve, the one next to battery at the fender, and on the block from the main negative terminal. also check the battery terminals for corrosion and clean if you can with a wire brush.

Do you have a meter? If not get one, even a $10 one. Measure the voltage at the battery terminals at rest and starting. Then repeat at the clamps on the terminals. If they don't match, and you can start the truck, do so and measure at the alternator, that should help box the problem in.

Frank

I'm already clenching in anticipation of the negative response I'm likely to get from some but if I thought my alternator was toast, I'd start the truck then disconnect the battery.

:hillbilly:

The truck likely won't run. I have had corroded battery terminals cause poor and/or no run conditions with a good alternator.

Last edited:
The other problem I have had intermittently is a battery drain after rain, I haven't found it definitively, but suspect the rear hatch wiper and door lock getting wet from a bad seal on the glass. I have been meaning to replace it but haven't got around to it. Did your problem coincide with rain or water?

Apologies for the late reply, been a busy week with family. So, my uncle (experienced with cars) wanted to see what was happening, and when I tried to show him an example, my truck just right on started up like normal. It has been starting normal for the past 2 days, and has started every single time I try it. Could this mean that there is some other issue? Could the weather and dry heat have played a part? I am trying to think about how it wouldn't start for 2 days, and then returns back to normal.

Any issues with your shifter lockout switch? Do you always hear it click when you go to park?

Frank

Apologies for the late reply, been a busy week with family. So, my uncle (experienced with cars) wanted to see what was happening, and when I tried to show him an example, my truck just right on started up like normal. It has been starting normal for the past 2 days, and has started every single time I try it. Could this mean that there is some other issue? Could the weather and dry heat have played a part? I am trying to think about how it wouldn't start for 2 days, and then returns back to normal.
Electrical issues especially intermittent ones are exasperating. Methodic elimination is a good way to get to the bottom. I would start with an alternator/battery combo check at an auto store.

I would suggest keeping a meter in the truck. It's unlikely your battery charged itself so we are likely looking a different issue. For example, the starter solenoid might have gotten stuck and then after enough "clicks" unstuck itself. So, next time this happens, note if you hear an audible click under the hood. If not the starter solenoid is not engaging. Wiggle the shifter in P to make sure that starter lockout switch detected neutral. If that doesn't work, and your meter shows say >11.8V, you likely have a failing starter.

Frank

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom