1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

axel help

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by FJ40AZ, Aug 19, 2006.

1. FJ40AZ

FJ40AZ

Is there a way I can possibly tell what year axle I have on my fj40 because I have a feeling one was changed at one point in its life
    I have a 1966 with a 3 speed that possibly had a pto winch on it at one time if that helps
    thx nick

2. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

Yeah, me too. Are there any markings or distinguising characteristics on the axle housing that will ID the year? How do you know which parts to order?

Are they all the same?

Thanks -

Rocky & FJ40AZ

3. e rock

e rock

There aren't many things I can think of externally... At some point in the evolution of earlier years, the shock mount moved. In '68 or so, the axle shafts went from 10 splines to 30 and the differential mounting studs got bigger. And in 78, the pinion shaft also got fine splines.

I'm sure someone can provide more detail...

Mostly, they're all the same. What parts would you want to order? Bearings and seals are the same. That just about does it for consumables.

4. Rocky_LC

Rocky_LC

That's what I would need - bearings and seals..

Thanks - THere's another thread with parts lists. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to order a bunch of parts and end up with something that wouldn't work.

Rocky

5. Ian Rogers

Ian Rogers

75' the shock mounts moved to the u-bolt plates

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">