Ax15 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

47coeman

Love those 45's
Threads
A question for the experienced. Will a reduction box from a 86 w trans fit on a ax15 need an adapter or bolt up. And how strong will this set up be. HP, torque limits.

Ax15 and the r151 are real similar, Couldn't get the link to work, search ax15 r151, first one is a jeepin thread that shows how, several parts are different, but the main is the output shaft. .

Maybe I need to ask the question through the back door. If I have an ax15 trans what reduction box set up or options are there for a rt drop to be used I a Toyota set up. In advance thanks for your help.

Marlin and Mike at marlin crawler did a setup like you are wanting years ago, Call mike and pick his brain

here is some more info..

The Jeep/Dodge AX155-speed, the Jeep NV35505-speed, the Toyota R150F & R151F, the 87-92 Toyota Supra Turbo R154, the Isuzu AR5 and the Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 5-speeds all share the same case to bellhousingbolt pattern. As such there are a number of possibilities that can be had when a 5-speed is desired:

Pic 1 #1. Novak Enterprises: Adapter plate for AX15to GM 4-speedbellhousing. Connects all except NV3550to same.

#2. 94-95 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any K car based 2.2L-2.5LL4 in a RWD application.

#3. 96-00 Dakota 2.5L bellhousing: Connects all to any Jeep 2.5L L4. Because of it's GM 60 degree V6 inherited bolt pattern, also works with any Buick FWD V6 and supercharged V6, any Chevrolet 2.8/3.1/3.4 V6, any Cadillac 4.1/4.5/4.9 V8 and with a minor modification, any Olds Aurora DOHC V8 and Cadillac DOHC Northstar V8. Also bolts to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 DOHC V6.

#4. 88-99 Jeep 4.0L L6 bellhousing: Connects all to any AMC 290/304/343/360/390/401 V8and any 72 and later 232 L6 and 258 L6.

#5. 94-99 Dakota 3.9L V6 Bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.9L V6 and any 273/318/340/360 V8.

#6. 96-04 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L V6.

#7. 86.5-92 Toyota Supra Turbo 7M-GTE

Not shown:

01-03 Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6 bellhousing: Connects all to any 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and 5.7L Hemi V8.

Isuzu Trooper 3.5 V6 AR5 bellhousing: Connects all to any Isuzu 3.2\3.5 V6

04 Chevy Colorado\ GMC Canyon MA5 bellhousing: Connects all to any 2.8L L4, 3.5L L5 and 4.2L L6

Aftermarket:

AdvanceAdapters: Bellhousingfor AX15to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6. Connects all except NV3550to same.

AdvanceAdapters: Bellhousingfor NV3550to Chevrolet-Buick-Olds-Pontiac V8 and Buick V6.

AdvanceAdapters: Adapter plate for AX15to Ford bellhousing. Connects all except NV3550to same.

AdvanceAdapters: Adapter plate for NV3550to Ford bellhousing.

Swift Machine: Adapter plate for NV3550to GM 4-speedbellhousing.

Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt Rseries to Suzuki 1.3\1.6.

Further info: Jeep AX5, Toyota G52, G58, W55, W56, W57 and W58 5-speeds all share a common face pattern on the case. As such, any 88-99 Jeep 2.5L bellhousing(NOT Dakota) will bolt a Toyota W series transmission to a 60 degree GM bolt pattern.

Aftermarket: AdvanceAdapters makes a bellhousingto bolt a W series Toyota trans to a Chevy-Buick-Olds-Pontiac block.

Northwest Off Road: Bellhousingto bolt W series to Ford 5.0.

Suzuki Only Supply: Adapter plate to bolt W series to Suzuki 1.3\1.6.

NOTE: Input shafts lengths vary.

Pre 1995 R150\R151 = 6.5"
1995 up Toyota R series = 7.5"
AX15= 7.875"
87-92 Turbo Supra R154 = 7.25"
AR5 = ?
MA5 = ?
NV3550= 7.875"
AX5 = 7.5"
Toyota W series = 6.5"

Pic 2 Advance Adapters makes an extra long pilot bearing when using a shorter input shaft tranny with a bellhousingthat had a longer one. Obviously you can't put the longer input trans into a bell that had a shorter one.

Pic 3 Front bearing covers are interchangeable between the Toyota R series, AX15, MA5 and AR5. NV3550, AX5 and W series are not interchangeable.

So... there's no shortage of parts for these gearboxes. Any good shop can rebuild them and they are still not that expensive.

GregOne of the offshoots of this is the ability to swap an AX5 behind a Jeep 2.5L with a heavier duty AX15by using the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing.One of the offshoots of this is the ability to swap an AX5 behind a Jeep 2.5L with a heavier duty AX15by using the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L bellhousing.If your Jeep (or car) has a Ford pattern T5 and you'd like to swap in any engine with the GM 60 degree bolt pattern, then either the 94-95 S10 2.2L bellhousingor the mid-eighties Jeep 2.5L bell might be what you want (NOT the Iron Duke one). The one you use depends on which side the starter is on...It should be pointed out that the pre '96 R150F and R151F input shafts are far too short to be used in the AX15bellhousings. (Even with the Advanced Adapters pilot bushing) The R154 input shaft is longer, and, with the proper spacing and AA bushing CAN be used in the AX15bellhousings with no mods.

Some further information from Marlin "Crawler" Czajkowski on the Toyota R series and the AX15. It is possible to swap the longer AX15input shaft into the pre '96 R150F/R151F.

This info does NOT apply to the NV3550.

"Parts are interchangeable between these trannys. Inputs, output shafts, front nose cone, and rear housing are different but generally can be interchanged if you stay with in the family.

There are three "R" families;

86-91 early, simple, common, heavy design

92-95 upgraded syncrows, hubs, shift rods and linkage, smaller bearings, lighter gears

96-newer greater helix angles, upgraded syncrows, lighter bolts, reverse brake

The Jeep 86-00' AX15would use the same bearings, syncrows, and gears within the same family as the Toyota boxes. I am not sure of the Isuzu production years, but would also be the same.

Remember that only the 86-87' 4x4 R151F 22R Turbo got the 4.31 1st gear. 2x4 22R Turbos, got the 3.83 1st, along with all other 4x4 R transmissions --- Toyota 3.0, 3.4 V6, Jeeps, and Isuzu's.

The lowest geared R is the 5.15 1st gear found in the R452 imported trans which also uses the same bearings, and syncrows.

The Jeep AX15has a 10 spline American style input with a 5/8" pilot. I am currently converting a Jeep AX5to a Toyota t-case

I have never had to opportunity to upgrade an AX15. This can be done but only to a 86-91 AX15. The longer coarse spline input and Jeep nose cone will swap right in. The AX15bellhousingwill also bolt up to the front of the R151F since both front housings are the same!

I send both Toyota and Jeep shafts to my drive line shop and have them put together."

Marlin
http://www.marlincrawler.com/Forthose Jeep gents that have broken AX5's laying around, Don't ditch the bellhousing. It may be used in a Toyota application and can bolt up any GM 60 degree engine (3.4/3.1/2.8 Chevy V6, Buick 3800 V6, Isuzu 3.2/3.5 V6, etc....) to the Toyota G series and W series tranismissions.

Pic 1 is a Toyota W58out of a Supra hooked up to an AX5 bellhousing.

Pic 2 shows the AX5 bell planted up to a Chevy Camaro 3.4L V6.

Pic 3 For this to work with the AX5 bell, you'd need the thick (heavy) flywheelfrom a Camaro/Firebird. It places the clutch disk back far enough to completely engage the splines on the short W/G series input shaft. That's got to be at least 1 3/4" from the back of the block to the front face of the flywheel. The S10 flywheelis shorter and won't work.

Pic 4 is a bellhousingalso with the GM 60 degree pattern from the 96-00 Dodge Dakota 2.5L hooked up nicely to an R154 5-speed out 87-92 Toyota Turbo Supra.

The photo of the set up below was a method of getting a free beer from Randy Burleson at www.4x4wire.com. The Isuzu DOHC 3.2\3.5L V6 has a dual bolt pattern on the back of the block. The outside pattern is strictly Isuzu, however, the inside pattern is the GM 60 degree. I can only presume it's there to fit up GM automatic tranny's in Troopers. So.. to prove this beyond doubt to Randy, there we have it. That's a twin cam 3.5L Isuzu V6 bolted (for the most part) up to a T5 out of a 95 2.2L S10 Chevy pickup. The bellhousinghas the Ford T5 pattern on the case side and the GM 60 degree pattern on the engine side. I'd have put more bolts in the holes but I couldn't find any more at the yard. And yes... it is sitting in the back seat of a Trooper. Don't ask how it got there..... I like Fosters Randy....

Greg
The 93 and earlier S10 2.8L V6 bellhousings can be used to bolt up GM pattern T5's and the SM420 to the 60 Degree bolt pattern. Some have starter pockets on both sides. Camaro 2.8/3.4L V6 and 3800 V6 bells have the tranny tilted at an angle (Ford and GM pattern) and may not be suitable for your application...

GregI can't leave this topic without mentioning the late 70's, early 80's Jeep 1514 cylinder CJ bellhousing. Since this was the GM Iron Duke engine that Jeep used, the bell has the Cheverolet V8 bolt pattern on the engine side and the Ford T5 pattern on the other. (Originally used with the Jeep T4). So, if ever you're asked how to hook up a Chevy Small Block to a Mustang T5, this is how you start.

Also, the question was asked (on another board) if the AX15could be hooked up to Toyota transfer casesfor crawling. According to Marlin, that's a go..

"I have put a Marlin dual case behind a AX5 [G54/58 Toyota] Jeep trans by changing the output shaftand tailhousing from a Toyota doner trans.

This can also be done to a AX15[R150 Toyota].

The Jeep auto should also work as long as the output shaftand rear housing is changed from a Toyota trans.

In the past years, I used to get a lot of calls from Jeep owners wanting to go slow like the Toy trucks. Since I was so busy, I directed the calls to Mepco and Klune V.

Marlin"

2000 TJ NV3550will bolt up to a 4.2 with no bellhousingmods (it wasn't listed) and you dont' need any adaptors.
The NV3550is a pretty robust gearbox. Much more capable than the AX15that it replaces. It shares all of its mounting points with the AX15but, as far as I'm aware, shares no parts with it. So, any application that has an AX15, can take anNV3550with no problems. Although the front case bolt pattern is identical between all of them (Toyota R, AX15, MA5, AR5, NV3550), the NV3550has a unique front bearing retainer and shape. It may not be capatable with some aftermarket adapter plates.

RayJon
Many TNX for the dissertation and the help I need to make my application work, I am on my way now.
Best Skip

good luck but its not mine, cut and paste from pirate 4x4, looked at the same thing a while ago for a mini with a vortec.

I am going to put it behind a Mercedes 606 in my FJ45 coming up soon. Already have the engine. Plan is to gather the parts so it won't be down. Maybe be done sometime this summer. Just finished my new shop 24x34x10 foot walls give me some head space.

is the 606 turbo or non turbo, neat motor, reliable with lots of HP potential, looked at those but the big cast intake looked like it could cause issues???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom