Awning thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Man, those 270-degree awnings look great but few are available here in Canada. It also appears, according to from reviews that there are durability issues especially when setting up in wind which we have here as I'm sure you have all noticed.

The straight pull ARB looks tried and true, I also like the hard case rather than the fabric/nylon bag cheaper ones come with.

Any thoughts?
Does anyone have one?

Cruiserpilot has some really great thoughts on this.

I'm still trying to decide which route to go with my trailer build regarding awning(s). I've left a 2-1/2" overhang along each side of the roof so as to be able to bolt extras on like an awning with penetrating the roof or walls.

Question is whether I do aluminum awni G's that just fold up and down flat, or a canvas roll-up style that rolls into that 2-1/2" overhang.

I like the 270 idea for coverage but have wondered about overall strength myself, as well as the cost.

I put an arb knockoff on that boler trailer I used to have, it also had the "room" that zipped on.

The room was great. Doubled the size of that silly little trailer and gave us somewhere inside to sit and avoid bugs and Americans on the road trip we took with it.

I like the Foxwings, etc but I don’t always use the same side for my ladder.
Pain in the ass getting just level and realize there is an 18” tree 10” inside your ‘radius’.
That’s a west coast problem I guess.
The big 3 wind, rain, sun. I bought an REI thing that has a small 10’ sq footprint with
really lightweight nylon. It has two detachable wind walls. Just recently in Tuk I camped on
the edge of the ocean at +2 / 25 mph winds. I wore every piece of clothing I had, but it
kept the blowing rain out of the way and I cooked a pretty good stew on the Coleman on
the tailgate. It by design, and luck, just clears the roof at the rear of the truck when set up.
This keeps rain from dripping down.
It is movable and not attached. The side walls work nice for setting sun, and privacy.
They don’t sell it any more. Comments on the forum indicated it was too difficult and
some idiot was surprise it didn’t survive a hurricane and wanted his money back.

I don’t know what kind of rig you have? I just saw a simple straight side pull awning here,
on the forum, but don’t recall exactly where.
I’ve got that steel square tube Tradesmans Rack from Aus I got second hand. I’m thinking of
simple tube within a tube slide outs that I can just lay a tarp or canvas over top. Sort of like a
drawer but with only 4 tubes instead of a drawer. Then two poles to support and it wouldn’t
take up any side room, wouldn’t add too much weight, could have one on each side.

Do you use a roof top tent now? Most if not all have rooms and side awnings.

To be honest biggest value for me is wind and rain protection, and privacy.

I like the Foxwings, etc but I don’t always use the same side for my ladder.
Pain in the ass getting just level and realize there is an 18” tree 10” inside your ‘radius’.
That’s a west coast problem I guess.
The big 3 wind, rain, sun. I bought an REI thing that has a small 10’ sq footprint with
really lightweight nylon. It has two detachable wind walls. Just recently in Tuk I camped on
the edge of the ocean at +2 / 25 mph winds. I wore every piece of clothing I had, but it
kept the blowing rain out of the way and I cooked a pretty good stew on the Coleman on
the tailgate. It by design, and luck, just clears the roof at the rear of the truck when set up.
This keeps rain from dripping down.
It is movable and not attached. The side walls work nice for setting sun, and privacy.
They don’t sell it any more. Comments on the forum indicated it was too difficult and
some idiot was surprise it didn’t survive a hurricane and wanted his money back.

I don’t know what kind of rig you have? I just saw a simple straight side pull awning here,
on the forum, but don’t recall exactly where.
I’ve got that steel square tube Tradesmans Rack from Aus I got second hand. I’m thinking of
simple tube within a tube slide outs that I can just lay a tarp or canvas over top. Sort of like a
drawer but with only 4 tubes instead of a drawer. Then two poles to support and it wouldn’t
take up any side room, wouldn’t add too much weight, could have one on each side.

Do you use a roof top tent now? Most if not all have rooms and side awnings.

To be honest biggest value for me is wind and rain protection, and privacy.

I have a RTT on a little M101.

The idea of a little shelter would be nice however the max height I could mount an awning would be about 5'10" and I'm 6'3" so beer driven face collisions may be an issue. Another con is adding weight up high as well as having something hanging off the trailer to get damaged when things get tight. The latter, in all honesty, would have only been an issue once in the last five years during an unexpected Whipsaw shortcut track.

Watching the Australian video comparisons is interesting, they love these things and have heaps to choose from, we get about three here. Some of their stand-alone ones look really well made, others don't.

This is what I have that’s now been changed.
Here it is set up with the wind walls.
5541AF3C-BF75-4198-8F6A-7F49FA877721.jpeg
C7CF79C8-B689-4997-B34D-98D86BA982FF.jpeg

It would be okay for you since it could be placed anywhere you need it, the curved end I put over
the back hatch of the 60. If you’re 6’ tall you’d be fine walking around it. It’s free standing with guy ropes
for windy days.

There’s lots of options. I too don’t want some big, complicated thing rigged up to the side of my truck.
Gets beat and ripped. Most of those Australian guys don’t go through willows and bush like Yukon

Well, the frozen mud weighed almost 200 lbs! That was a tough trip. Truck is heavy due to recovery
gear. Can’t have too much of that. It’s got a 12HT with the 3.73’s then. Those were also heavily worn
springs which I replaced after this trip.

Back to awnings, I’ve always thought a light aluminum frame, like one of those
10x10 things you see at markets but in simpler tube like the frame on my set up
would be best, but they need to be bigger. I think 15’ long would be manageable
and then just have a canvas ( read: spark resistant ) tarp with sewn loops
Nice thing about canvas, easy to sew zippers anywhere for durability and walls.
In my experience, rain is ugly, but so long as it’s not coming down your neck
I can deal with it. Wind on the other hand, that’s the worst. Keeping wind affects
under control is really important. From getting gear you thought was covered but isn’t.
Stoves that lose cooking power and make frustrating delays. To just that inner cold
in your body that can be irritating to downright dangerous. It has the greatest effect
on mental health when all you want is basic comfort.
So make sure whatever awning you look at it keeps the wind under control.

Have you tried looking at RV places? Look through Shelters - Canadian Tire too

Hey, found a source in Surrey

Forgot all about Kakadu, these guys have been around a while.

In a word... No.

Last camping trip I was too preoccupied with not freezing to think about awnings. My trailer battery s*** the bed as well, so that's on the list to replace.

I suppose the biggest hurdle I face here is the low hight of my trailer mounting options, it might be easier to grab a stand alone 4 post shelter thingy. Don't know. Camping is on hold for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom