For Sale Award winning Toyota Chinook 4x4 Camper...That's right! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Price drop to $4500...

Yes folks it is for sale, and yes it is award winning.

Won the "Sickest Rig" award at Cruise Moab 2010 out of approximately 200+ vehicles in attendance.

This could be your chance to own a RARE, classic, reliable, easy to find parts for, just plain awesome expedition rig.
We would love to take this basic truck and turn it into an even more functional, creature comforts, armored, turn key expo rig. Built to suit.

If that is something you are looking for and not looking for a "project" in any way this would be a great opportunity for probably one of the more rare and unique expedition vehicles out there!

We are actually setting up to do a 80 series Chinook for a customer. So if that gets your wheels turning for you own custom project let us know!!

Also, we met a photographer in Moab from a certain off road magazine that lives locally and was drooling over the idea of documenting a Chinook build for the mag!

Specs:

1979 Toyota Chinook 4x4. First year of the 4x4 Toyota pickups.
20R/22R rebuilt hybrid motor
Rebuilt Carb
Tons of new parts
Got roughly 15.5 miles per gallon on the trip loaded down and through some serious mountains.

5 spd transmission conversion...looks to be rebuilt based on how clean the body of it is. Shifts great and clutch is good.

Power steering

Solid axles

Like new 32x11.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains

New bumper, grill, and headlights

Newly built interior and carpeting (still needs work). Included is all the kitchen items minus the fridge and oven.

Interior is in decent shape with comfortable seats, aftermarket console, dash mat, tachometer.

The truck body has some rust in the lower fender corners, radiator support, and some in the floor boards. The fenders are a good spot to trim, the radiator support is really no big deal ATM, but I would suggest the floor boards getting fixed. We can do it at the shop for a small fee.

The Chinook body is in very good shape. On my recent trip I took a small hit on the driver rear, but nothing terrible(visible on the last picture). The canvas is in great shape with no tears or leaks. There are a few small patches on the inside but no visible tears on the outside. Opens and closes with ease. Rear door has a small crack.

We built a full sub frame to reinforce the chinook body and turned out great. The chinook did amazing off road and had no flex in the camper.

All the glass is good except a small crack on the over cab Chinook window.

The truck runs and drives excellent. Passed California smog no problem and is registered and ready to go. I recently drove it on a 3500 mile road trip with about 500 miles off road with almost zero issues. Just had to change the oil pan gasket after I sprung a leak.

The rig gets thumbs up everywhere I go and is definitely a one of a kind vehicle.

What it should have done:
Original suspension...so it could use some work there.
Knuckle rebuild
tie rod ends
motor mount bushings look tired
rear pinion seal(slow leak)
rust repairs
Mostly everything is preventative maintenance things.

The vehicle is located in Placerville, CA 95667 30 minutes from Sacramento.

I will post up pics of the rust and rear damage later.

Asking $5000 obo.

Please call me at 530-401-2023 if interested. You can email me at scott.rist@hotmail.com as well, but I will take you more seriously with a phone call:victory:.

CANVAZUTTripAprilMay2110073.jpg

CANVAZUTTripAprilMay2110302.jpg

CANVAZUTTripAprilMay2110075.jpg

CANVAZUTTripAprilMay2110185.jpg

CANVAZUTTripAprilMay2110299.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is super cool! There's a guy who hangs at the beach every day by my house ( doheney/dana point) with one! I will hit you up with an offer if my 97 40th fj 80 sells before you do!

I like it. Wish you were closer... Good luck of selling it.

Last edited:
That rig is awesome looking. Totota motorhomes with the fiberglass tops never leak!!

That thing is sick! There's a guy who lives in dana point who has one I see it at the beach all the time! If my 80 sells before you sell I will hit you up!

PM sent.
Rust and interior pics please!

That thing is super cool! There's a guy who hangs at the beach every day by my house ( doheney/dana point) with one! I will hit you up with an offer if my 97 40th fj 80 sells before you do!

That thing is sick! There's a guy who lives in dana point who has one I see it at the beach all the time! If my 80 sells before you sell I will hit you up!

Is there an echo in here?

I'm actually thinking about making mine 4x4...
motorhome.jpg

Thats a sunrader...They made those 4x4 as well but they are even more rare. Very cool little thing!

super cool rig scotty, i dig it! GL with the sale.

georg

Thanks Georg!

I will get pics out for you guys soon.

Had a guy interested today that cam eby the shop that might be looking to have us restore it.

We would really like to find a buyer that would like to let us do an expedition build on this.

We already have a FJ60 Chinook job coming in. Our customer just bought the Chinook body today! This one will be fun.

So does anyone want us to build it? Suspension, Armor, gears, lockers, storage, etc etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom