Auxiliary fuse box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Right. As the header says, I want to wire in an auxiliary fuse box into my HDJ-80. Some questions.

What battery do I run the power wire to? Ground is not necessary?

Location? I have a Blue Sea systems.

Can I install more than 1? 180A alternator and two deep cycle batteries.

Should I wire the communications gear to the auxiliary box? CB, Two-way, Scanner, mobile phone.

Lighting? Plan is to have a pair on the bull bar, 4-6 on the roof mounted on a Thule load bar, maybe ditch lights, secondary reverse lights...Should they be wired into the auxiliary fuse box?

Any other tips/suggestions welcomed.

OPINION
I would opt for using a Bussman fuse/relay box over a Blue Sea set up. Main reason is that it is compact and the relays are built in. Check out this thread, best tutorial I have seen yet. I use the model with 5 relays and 10 fuses. This gives you 5 fused/relay circuits and 5 fused circuits.

There are two schools of thought as to which battery you should use. First is to hook it up to the house battery and leave the Aux battery as back up in case of emergency. Second is to hook all add ons to Aux battery to preserve the house battery for OEM use. I have wired both ways and tend to favor hooking up most to the Aux battery as most of my customers are not taking their rigs far enough off grid to justify having an Aux battery solely as back up for starting.

I wire all add ons to a secondary fuse/relay box and leave the OEM wiring alone. Most add ons like radios and communication gear, gauges etc use Batt power, IGN power and dash light power. I mount 4 bus bars in the driver side kick panel, GRND, IGN, BATT and dash lights. All separate from the OEM wiring. IGN and Dash light circuits are created by using BATT power run through a relay and fired by the OEM IGN and OEM Dash Light circuits. This only requires a miliamp draw on the OEM circuits. The idea here is to keep the electrical impact on the OLD OEM wiring to a minimum and not to overload those circuits.

I also run dedicated grounds with things like lights rather than to ground to the closest metal. I even do this with things like a fuel pump when I do swaps. Anyone that has played with Land Cruiser electrical problems will tell you that grounds are generally problem #1

Hope that helps :)

Should I run an inline fuse? Where to ground?
On your system make sure you get all your power and grounds from the same battery. Always fuse from the battery/source. Take the time to educate yourself on how your 12/24 works or change it all to 12v. You want to know what to do when the 12/24 relay goes bad. This is not system you want someone learning on.

On your system make sure you get all your power and grounds from the same battery. Always fuse from the battery/source. Take the time to educate yourself on how your 12/24 works or change it all to 12v. You want to know what to do when the 12/24 relay goes bad. This is not system you want someone learning on.
This is an all OEM setup with the dual batteries. My HDJ-80, came from the Canary Islands. It has a direct injection turbo diesel 4.2 with an H55F transmission.

I completely missed the Diesel reference.

This is an all OEM setup with the dual batteries. My HDJ-80, came from the Canary Islands. It has a direct injection turbo diesel 4.2 with an H55F transmission.
I have owned 2 and yes OEM but it also a weak point for some and if you loose the relay in the states you better know how to jump it.

1588909124028.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom