Audio Questions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jeez, you 100 series guys are getting a bit soft....whats wrong with my old AM radio, original papercone 6" speakers and a UHF/scanner to cover up the static????? Talk about spoilt....lol! (Had to have a dig, nice job)

I would suspect the buzz sound is from a ground. I'm running a Soundstream Amp (300w) w/ a/d/s 3-way speakers w/ separate tweaters in the doors and a/d/s 2-ways in the 2nd row seat of an old 4runner. I have an 8" sub in a cabinet behind the passenger seat, alpine head unit and CD changer (changer is bolted to the bulkhead behind the sub [no 2nd row seats], amp has 6 ga cables directly connected to the battery. I was told that not doing so would cause buzzing/noise. My only regret is not getting the 3-way speakers in the rear over the 2-ways. There's no comparison in sound quality. It's like night and day. Aren't the OEM toyota audio units made by Fujitsu? Personally, I'd ditch the amp and get a much better replacement. You'd probably have to bolt it to the floor underneath one of the seats or way up above your feet behind the dash (if there's room). Also, get a good shop...I mean that does installs on luxury cars. It makes a big difference. Last, you might want dynamat in the doors behind the speakers, especially if you're running lots of power.

I've just got to say, man it is nice cranking the windows down and having the radio completely overshadow any wind noise. Granted, my ears hurt afterwords ( :

Yeah, it is nice having a stereo that will allow you to block everyone else out if needed. :D

Did you mount the component tweeter at the factory location, behind the little grill, or somewhere else? Also, did you rewire the speakers or use the factory wiring?

LonghornCruiser said:
Yeah, it is nice having a stereo that will allow you to block everyone else out if needed. :D

Did you mount the component tweeter at the factory location, behind the little grill, or somewhere else? Also, did you rewire the speakers or use the factory wiring?

I mounted my MB Quart tweeters in the stock location on the DS & PS doors. Also I had all new wiring run for all speakers...

I mounted my Polks in the stock location. The Polk tweeter was much bigger than the stock so I had to use an adhesive to permanently mount the tweeter in the casing. I did not run new wires due to the fact that the stock wiring gauge matched the gauge that came with the speaker set i.e. the Polk tweeter was hard wired from the factory.

As well, I just finished the Infinity Basslink install. Very simple and very effective. It really rounds out the sound of the system.

FYI, the Infinity Reference 7451 fits very well under the pass. seat. It sticks out a bit behind the seat but not that much. I keep my seat positioned for a tall person and then you cannot see the amp at all. Excellent sound.

My total investment was

Eclipse Deck/Install: 350.00
Infinity Reference Amp, Polk db6500's, POlk db650, amp wiring kit X 2, RCA Silent Cables, Infinity Basslink: 1020.00
Time: 6 hours (with kids running around so 5 if you are single)

Score!

Horn:

The Basslink was mounted right behind the Pass side rear seat right next to the wheel well on the floor. It comes with mounts. I chose that side due to the fact that the amp is on that side as well. ALL of the wires i.e. power, remote and RCA are run under the wheel well trim, under the door thresholds and then through the carpet to exit under the seat by the amp. The ground cable was connected to a third row seat mounting latch bolt i.e. the bolt that holds down the latch-it worked very very well due to the proximity to the sub. I had to buy a power block so that i could wire in two power sources from the battery. It is mounted beside the amp under the pass seat. The power line to the sub from the block is fused as well. My infinity ref amp has output jacks for either another amp or, in this scenario, a line output to the powered sub. However, the Basslink is also designed to work with high input i.e. speaker wires i.e. it has high input jacks and comes with the adapters. I am going to run the remote bass control and mount it right beside the AC controls on the right in that space that is not used. All you will see is a knob on the console.

I can shoot some pics if you like. All you will see is the sub with about 8" of wires coming out of the well. The rest of the wire is not exposed.

It really sounds VERY nice for a 300.00 unit and can be mounted either vertical or on its back.

Ah,

At first when I looked up the Basslink, I saw a pic of the Basslink T which is much bigger than the other ones.

I mounted the bass control knob for my Fosgate amp in the ashtray. Did a little shaving of the knob housing to get the ashtray to be able to close, but now it is completely hidden yet easily accessible. Here are some pics.

I found that my speaker box placement gives the best sound and also allows me to use my third row seats if needed without moving the box.
TLC 004.jpg
TLC 003.jpg
TLC 008.jpg

That looks good. Yeah, my Basslink is the 10" single. I am going to mount the remote in that trim piece just below the Right Main vent on the control trim (see your pic 2). That trim pops right off an has enough backing clearance to allow for the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom