SOLD Athol Idaho, 1964 FJ40 $27,000 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(79, 91, 95)
Outside Link
https://specialty.autotrader.com/seller_portal/seller_vehicles/view/101697816
$27,000.00 I bought this cruiser in 2009. Since then it has had a frame off restoration. It had a soft top when I bought it. I found a rolling chasis in Colorado with the hard top, doors etc. Spent some time cutting out all the rusted sections and welding in new steel. From there everything was abrasive blasted, primered and repainted. There is no rust (sheetmetal rot). The rear sections had some repairs done by brazing by a PO. This was there when I purchased the cruiser and it looked solid so I did not cut this out and replace it. I believe that this is where the paint is bubbled in the corner by the swing door. Everything else was cut out and repaired.

There’s surface rust on the frame and underbody…I live in Idaho what do you expect. I was going to crawl under there and paint the frame but plans have changed and it’s time to let this beauty go.

This cruiser is an excellent trail truck. It’s been across Rubicon, Fordyce, Dusy Ershiam and many others in the sierras. With the spring over conversion and shackle reversal it’s got great articulation. You can run 37’s on this truck but they will rub a little when the wheels are stuffed up in the wheel wells. I’ve run all those trails on 35’s and never had to turn around LOL.

Here are the details:
  • 1964 Toyota FJ40
  • Registered and titled in Idaho. Original California truck as far as I know.
  • Toyota grey metallic paint, stripped down and repainted 2014. Sprayed bedliner on the interior sheet metal at the same time. You can just hose this baby out and not worry about rust under floor mats etc.
  • Chevrolet 327. Low miles. If I was to guess maybe 10K miles. Odometer doesn’t work, I think it needs a new gear in the transfer case. Just wasn’t that important to me to fix.
  • -bored .060 over, flat top pistons
  • -Edelbrock Performer RPM heads 64cc
  • -Edelbrock performer cam, 204/214 .440/.460
  • -Edelbrock performer intake, dual plane
  • -Sean Murphy Induction QJET carb (automatic choke) SMI Racing
  • -Headman tight tube headers
  • -roller rockers (don't remember brand)
  • -DUI Performance HEI distributor and Livewire plug wires.
  • -14"x3" K&N filter
  • TH350 Auto Transmission, low RPM stall converter. Professionally rebuilt. Low miles.
  • External Transmission cooler - Hayden
  • Advance adapter SBC to TH350
  • Orion 4:1 Transfer Case.
  • Twin stick shifter with mechanical shift linkage (not vacuum)
  • Beefy transfercase skid plate
  • 4 row copper/brass radiator
  • fan shroud
  • Spring-over-axle
  • Cut and turn front housing
  • shackle reversal
  • torque bar/anti axle wrap
  • Large pattern knuckles (mini truck)
  • High steer arms, 1 1/4" DOM tie rods and 1 ton rod ends from Extreme Gear Offroad
  • Saginaw Power Steering (3 turn box)
  • PSC Hydro Assist steering
  • Rancho 9000 5-way Shocks w/in cab controller. These need to be replaced. They leak off air when you pump them up and Rancho no longer supports them. My dog also ate the small airlines while helping me get rid of a mouse that was running in the frame LOL. They still function you just can’t adjust them.
  • Chevrolet Steering Column with funtional Auto shift and keyswitch on column
  • Grant 14" removable (anti theft) steering wheel. Also have a kill switch wired in for theft protection.
  • Complete front to rear Centech Wiring harness/fusebox, and an additional Painless wiring fuse panel/wiring under the hood.
  • Roll cage is wired for a dome light and radio mount just never really completed it.
  • Dual Drake Quick Release fire extinguisher mounts. Attached to roll cage shoulder height behind each seat.
  • Aftermarket Danhard heater and defroster (not a Toyota unit) Actually puts out heat.
  • Seat heaters.
  • Needs new seat covers. A little advice…don’t get expensive neoprene seat covers and let your dog sit on them.
  • rear 4.11 Ring and Pinion w/fine spline
  • front 4.11 Ring and Pinion w/course spline (pretty sure this one is course but not 100% positive)
  • 30 spline inner/27 spline outer front axles
  • 30 spline rear axles
  • Front and Rear ARB Lockers (front locker is a semi floating unit so ft and rr can be swapped if ever needed)
  • ARB Compressor
  • York On-Board Compressor with storage tank in custom roll cage.
  • DOM roll cage, seat frame and harness points are all integral with the roll cage. Cage fits under hardtop.
  • Crow Enterprizes 4 point seat belt harnesses. 3” belts, driver and passenger.
  • Front disk brakes, rear drum, stops perfect so I never converted to rear disc.
  • 1" bore dual reservoir TLC Master Cylinder
  • Power Brake Booster (mini Truck style)
  • BFG 35” KM2 tires
  • Restored 1964 hardtop, the new paint on the hardtop is cracking will need to be repaired. Pretty disappointing to pay that much money and have it come off.
  • Custom made hard half doors
  • Warn 8274 winch with rope (not cable) Mounted on custom bulletproof front bumper.
  • Ridgid Industries LED D2 lights cut into front bumper.
  • rear split gates
  • Custom built, powder coated swing out carrier with 35" spare tire. also holds 2 jerry cans and ice chest (no cans included)
  • Custom rack behind the seats. Holds a 100 quart ice chest on top and two action packers underneath the rack. (not included)

There are brush scratches in the paint from taking the 40 on 4x4 trails. (s***lbuffout)

The motor has about $5K in it, maybe a little more.

Drivetrain is in great condition, low miles, and is very reliable. I put new U-joints in it a couple years ago. Orion transfer case was installed about a year after the Orion came out. The Transmission was completely rebuilt in 2009. I personally would have no concerns taking the 40 cross country or on the Rubicon trail, or both.

Needs new shocks, seatcovers and bushings in the shackles. Odometer doesn’t work. Fuel gauge is a sometimer. I’ve replaced the sending unit but it’s still inconsistent.

Drives straight down the highway. But like any sprung over 40 or other high center of gravity short wheel base vehicle you do have to pay attention when driving it. Ruts or irregularities in the road can still cause it to move around a little. Very manageable and easy to drive.

quad2.jpg

dash center.jpg

engine bay.jpg

Paint damage.jpg

quad3.jpg

Last edited:
I updated the link to an EBay add 👍

For some reason I cant figure out how to edit the description. Price reduced to $27,000

Bottom of your first post on the left side shows Report and Edit. press on edit and edit your post.. BOL
Thanks for your help. Not sure what I was doing wrong before lol.

Pending sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom