ashtray USB ports for new JVC head unit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I've been in the midst of the install of a 2 DIN head unit with Android Auto (!) to replace a Sony I originally installed on my 2001 Gulf Spec LC and the same unit again on my 1998 tan LC 'Dhanno'. I've been fooling with various places to install the very necessary USB port. Android Auto won't work without the USB. Basically Android Auto uses capabilities on your phone and mirrors them sort of on the head unit in the dash.

I've been through the cheap Chinese double din units and the less said about that better, so I am happy to find a mainstream JVC unit with Android Auto, the JVC KW-M730BT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XCL9HGT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This thing is very minimalist and they've finally ditched the DVD/CD player which I don't think anyone has used for years.

I have the first one up and running in my 2001, and I ended using a marine style USB connector from Amazon and drilling a large hole in the blank space just below the right vent in the center console; in the oblong insert that mirrors the hazard and center diff lock switch. I tried painting it but overall it just looked out of place. I will post a photo of it later, but I'm not proud of the result.

So I've been looking for a better place and I've settled on using the space below the handle on the ashtray:
full

full

The ashtray comes apart very easily with a couple of screws and I marked out roughly where I wanted to put the connectors:
full

And then I carefully dremmeled out the holes to fit the connectors:
full

Here's the end result:
full

I have several more photos here: ashtray USB

It looks pretty nice, and more importantly, it is discrete and out of the way in this location. The next thing I have to do is secure the cables in the ashtray. There is quite a bit of force exerted on these cables when you plug something into it. I'm going to try Gorilla Glue and see how that works. I probably should drill a few holes and put in some zip ties too, but I hate to drill more than necessary. I will start with the Gorilla Glue.

Thought some of you out there might enjoy seeing this.

And this is the marine style connector I tried first but did not like.
upload_2017-11-13_22-17-52.png

Any pics of how it looks in the LC?
Hi VM. Kinda posting as I go along. At the moment I'm waiting for some epoxy putty to set up. I think it should be pretty solid. I also have the idea of putting a plate into the ashtray to hide the cables and to act as a small shelf for my various barrier fobs that I have to carry around. The ashtray as stock does not work for this purpose--it is too deep. I will post more as it progresses.

I ended up using marine epoxy putty to secure the USB plugs:
full

full

And here is what it looks like in context; it is not closed all the way because the cables are just jammed in behind:
full

And if you look close, there is something odd about my center console, which I will cover in another post. Hint: there is something there that should not be there...

Those "marine style connectors" fit almost perfectly in the factory cigarette outlet holes.

Yes, I thought about using that space. Not sure exactly why, but I didn't want to remove the lighter.

I ended up using marine epoxy putty to secure the USB plugs:
full

full

And here is what it looks like in context; it is not closed all the way because the cables are just jammed in behind:
full

And if you look close, there is something odd about my center console, which I will cover in another post. Hint: there is something there that should not be there...

I spy the super-rare "double CDL and hazards" option. I had no use for the cigarette lighter, so I replaced it with the marine-style USB plug (not the best quality) and installed a Blue Sea dual USB charger in place of the 12 volt plug. I also drilled the space between the two and installed a grommet for my CB mic cable. I wouldn't mind deleting the ashtray and installing a switch panel, though.

Yep, you got it! This is a US spec truck but they import tons of Australia trucks for parts. I grabbed a mirror switch panel and I'm going to use it for toggles of the reverse and parking brake switches which r required for the head unit. More on that in a separate post, but I like the confusing stock look.

Re switch panel take a look at your ashtray. The body is made of Bakelite and the tan plastic is neatly removable. I think k you could use the existing ashtray body as the switch panel and have it look pretty nice. You also could keep the handle but trim it back some to give more room for the switches.

Another thing: the set of buttons for the defroster and all are not all used, but there actually are membrane switches behind. Momentaries. You'd have to do some surgery to isolate the printed circuit board traces and find a junk panel for movable inserts but it is doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom