Anyone want to hit Flagpole Knob this winter? (1 Viewer)

Flagpole knob dates

• Sat March 2

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Sat March 9

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Sat March 16

• Sat March 23

• Sat March 30

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • DATE HAS BEEN SET AS MARCH 30 AT 9AM OTTOBINE ES DAYTON VA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this still on the radar? We can bring it up at the monthly meeting tomorrow and see if there's a consensus on date. We've now got the Taskers Gap trail cleanup on the 23rd as well.
Trying for redemption on flag pole? 🤣

I figure with the first week of March behind us we have the 30th at 50% of the votes. We want to set the date as the 30th?
Sounds fair enough....I'll have to miss it though along with the April meeting....taking the wife and in-law's to Iceland for a spring vacation.

Sounds fair enough....I'll have to miss it though along with the April meeting....taking the wife and in-law's to Iceland for a spring vacation.
whatever you do do NOT try the Hákarl.

A fun place though is the Phallogical Museum and of course the Blue lagoon is amazing too

Would love to know what you guys decide. I have a new build to “shake down” and my 40 might be in together-enough-to-bounce-around-30-minutes-from-home-condition.

The date is set as the 30th. Let's plan to meet at Ottobine Elementary school 8646 Waggys Creek Rd, Dayton, VA 22821 parking
lot at 9am? CLCC radios for coms.
am i able to just get a gmrs hand held to keep in contact with yall or do i have to get something special? i always just end up sitting and wondering if somethings going on cause i usually don't have comms to listen to whats happening

am i able to just get a gmrs hand held to keep in contact with yall or do i have to get something special? i always just end up sitting and wondering if somethings going on cause i usually don't have comms to listen to whats happening
@emorth would be the authority on that. Maybe we can get some of the club radios to distribute at the meet up

See our club coms freq chart below. GMRS handhelds are compatible with our club coms if we use simplex. If we are using a repeater, the ability to use a club channel will depend on if your radio has a repeater function. For example, my Midland GMRS truck mounted radio did, but my new Midland GMRS handheld does not have repeater function. Generally, for one small group of trucks going out on a day trip simplex will be used, so your GMRS handheld should do the trick for this trail ride even if your handheld does not have a a repeater function.

A handheld Baofeng radio can be used for our club coms, including with a repeater, they are cheap and readily available, but they can be very difficult to program and use compared to a Midland GMRS handheld or a Midland GMRS truck mounted radio. There are also legal requirements for radio licenses to use these radios. The HAM license test is moderately difficult but will allow you to use the Baofeng in all of its functions. The federal GMRS license can be purchased without taking an exam and will allow you licensed use of Midland GMRS radios (handheld or truck mounted).

1710780604729.png

Last edited:
Yep. What @Diff Kraken said. Gee, that chart looks really familiar. :geek:

The club has 12 "loaner" radios for events. I am not sure where they are living at the moment. Also, the batteries are starting to get old (like me) so they may not last all day. So take a spare battery with you.

There won't be any repeaters on the air for your flagpole trip. A repeater is used to extend the coverage area and we usually only have them on the air for Fall Crawl.

The coded squelch is the important part. It is a filter so only transmissions with the proper code can be heard. If your radio does not transmit the same code that the receiver is programmed to, the receiver will not enable the speaker and your transmission will not be heard. Make sure your radio is transmitting the proper CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch) on channels 1 & 2 and the DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) on channels 3 - 16. Codes for the transmitter are required. If you do not program the codes into the receiver, you will hear every transmission on that channel. If you do enable the codes in the receiver, you will only hear transmissions with that code. The purpose of coded squelch is so that multiple groups can use/share the same frequency with different codes. That way they don't have to listen to the other group's conversations. All of the club's radios have the codes programmed into the receiver so they only "hear" transmissions with the code.

If you plan to buy an official GMRS radio, make sure it can be programmed for coded squelch. Most of them have this feature.

If you plan to buy a generic radio, check with me first to make sure it has the necessary capabilities. I can program most of the generic radios for you.

Hope all of this helps

If you plan to buy an official GMRS radio, make sure it can be programmed for coded squelch. Most of them have this feature.

If you plan to buy a generic radio, check with me first to make sure it has the necessary capabilities. I can program most of the generic radios for you.

Hope all of this helps
Wow, thats a lot of good info, i'll try to retain as much of it as i can! I have an old Midland MXT275 from a previous vehicle that i haven't wired into mine yet. I'm going to try and wire it up in my free time. I also ordered a baofeng UV-5g plus that i'm hoping is delivered before the 30th but it'll be close, i picked that one because it has a "copy" feature and it looks like i can just go to someone whos got the channel already setup and just copy it from them. And i can recharge it off the cig lighter if it starts going dead.

I'll bring extra radios if I'm able to make it.

Is anyone planning to camp Friday or Saturday night? I'd rather camp Friday than get up at the crack of dawn on Saturday.

Are they we still on for meeting at 9AM tomorrow? Alright to invite another person? Cool guy, have run Flagpole with him before. He does drive an Xterra though lol

I'm planning on being at the meeting spot that @1MOA mentioned: Ottobine Elementary school 8646 Waggys Creek Rd, Dayton, VA 22821 parking lot at 9am. it's gonna be a 2.5 hour drive for me since i can't take highways, fun stuff. I don't speak for everyone, but i don't see why you couldn't bring someone else.
Are they we still on for meeting at 9AM tomorrow? Alright to invite another person? Cool guy, have run Flagpole with him before. He does drive an Xterra though lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom