Anyone seen mpg go down after switching to 20" tundra oems? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a great deal that I couldn't pass up but I noticed right away how much heavier the wheel/tire combo is compared to the 16" stock. I can't imagine this is good for mpg but hopefully someone else here with experience can tell me otherwise?

5lgVH1X.jpg

Don't worry about gas mileage. It doesn't (and can't) get much worse than it already is. Enjoy your LX!

:slap:

What mpg?

OEM 16" is about the lightest tire/wheel combo you can get for a given width/diameter. However, driving style likely plays a more dominant role in MPG. I can't speak to your setup, but with 18" tundra "steel" wheels there was a slight drop in MPG, but I'd imagine that the 20" alloy combo is lighter than the steelies.

The stock setup I had was 16" alloy with 275 70 16 and the new wheels are 275 60 20

So you also went with a larger diameter tire too----basically going from a 31 to a 33. That's comparing apples to oranges, because you changed more than just the wheel diameter.

It probably matters more what tires you chose because tire weights vary a lot. AT tires or E rated tires weigh a lot more than highway or P rated tires in the same size.

If you are doing mpg comparisons, keep in mind the larger diameter tires will need an adjustment in the calculations, because they go farther per revolution than the stock tires.

So you also went with a larger diameter tire too----basically going from a 31 to a 33. That's comparing apples to oranges, because you changed more than just the wheel diameter.

It probably matters more what tires you chose because tire weights vary a lot. AT tires or E rated tires weigh a lot more than highway or P rated tires in the same size.

If you are doing mpg comparisons, keep in mind the larger diameter tires will need an adjustment in the calculations, because they go farther per revolution than the stock tires.

That's a great point I didn't even think of that. Will keep a tabulation on mpg consumption see if it changed anything and will report back in a month or two

I think I may regret the decision to switch to 18" Tundra steelies with 275/70/18 tires. The old 16" OEM w/ tires weight 57 lbs each. My new tire & wheel is 105 lbs. Almost 250 lbs extra weight including the spare. Ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom