Anyone running pizza cutters? AKA 255/80/17 33x10 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a new to me '16 GX460 Premium. It came with the stock 18" wheels and a set of snow tires. I plan to save those for snow trips.

I picked up a set of 17x7 5th gen 4Runner "Trail" wheels, and I plan to wrap them in 255/80/17 Falken Wildpeaks.

Unfortunately my lift is going to be out of stock for several weeks. I found at least one report of someone running them without a lift with only minor trimming/heat gun.

I'll find out soon enough, just curious if anyone else has done this.

I recently bought a new to me '16 GX460 Premium. It came with the stock 18" wheels and a set of snow tires. I plan to save those for snow trips.

I picked up a set of 17x7 5th gen 4Runner "Trail" wheels, and I plan to wrap them in 255/80/17 Falken Wildpeaks.

Unfortunately my lift is going to be out of stock for several weeks. I found at least one report of someone running them without a lift with only minor trimming/heat gun.

we’re running 33x10.5 but have a 2” Ironman lift. Pre-lift we ran 255/70r18 and just had a tiny tiny bit of running in reverse at full lock when flexed a hit. I suspect you’d be pretty ok with perhaps some minor trimming.

472FE8FA-E651-4C07-8602-2E44959BFC30.jpeg

BDAE327E-30A7-4A73-A179-39F7EF372478.jpeg

Although not a GX460. I am running 235/80r17 on a gx470 w 17in 7.5 and no lift. Loving the tread flex on hard pack mud and rock trails. Skinnies really smooth things out.

Not liking the tire fold though. 255/80's is probably the sweet spot in regards to pizza cutters' comfort and handling. Minus a few psi of course. 👍

we’re running 33x10.5 but have a 2” Ironman lift. Pre-lift we ran 255/70r18 and just had a tiny tiny bit of running in reverse at full lock when flexed a hit. I suspect you’d be pretty ok with perhaps some minor trimming.

View attachment 2625922

View attachment 2625923
How do you like the Kenda's so far? What is road noise like? And do they flex at all when you air them down?

Last edited:
Has anybody gone from 285/70r17 to 255/80r17 and can comment on MPG gains?
I went from a 285/70r17 to a 255/75r17 on my 4th gen 4Runner and didn't really notice a difference. Maybe between .5-1mpg difference 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks for the feedback. 1 mpg is 1 mpg, haha
Ha true. Here's an idea of the size of a 255/75r17. This is on FJ cruiser 8 hole wheels, with a 1.5" spacer.

IMG_20210322_113548.jpg

The pizza cutters will be something like 6-10lbs per tire lighter from what I have read. That is a lot of reduced rolling resistance.

I plan to also go with the JW Offroad rear tire carrier, so getting rid of any extra weight helps.

I've done over size tires (35") before getting my lift on my 100 series LC. I just had to watch how I drove. Don't go blasting into driveways, speed bumps or big bumps if you're on a trail and be careful on lock-to-lock steering, until you get your suspension. You'll be okay as long as you're expecting to get your suspension soon.
You should be fine.

Does anyone think the 33x10.50x 17 will work if removing the running boards and pushing fender liners?
With or without lift?
Without lift. :meh:
With lift. 👍

Well... I have an eibach pro truck kit coming that is back ordered for 3 months. Need tires (now) and been holding onto some fj rims for a week deciding what size to go for. I Have my eye on some 33x10.50x17.
I am prepared to bmc and hammer the pinch weld, and of course remove the running boards and tucking the liner.

I have researched on here daily for weeks seeing different combos and people running 33s no lift- but others are saying could depend on width and how saggy the stock suspension was

Reactions: r2m
I believe you'll be fine with 33" tires as long as they're not too wide.

Thanks for all the help y’all- got some kenda klevers I’m gonna try out- hopefully keeps me running on the road for the time being

I’m late to the party, but I love my 255/80-17 Toyo RTs. Stock suspension with some sag, and I pushed the liners forward up front, and only occasionally touch from time to time. Might put a heat gun on it, and see if I can fix it altogether.

The tire guy said said he is worried they are going to rip off my front bumper as I checked out. I told him I feel pretty good about it, let’s give it a try. Haha
Living on the edge!! 🤙

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom