Anyone running Milestar Patagonia M/T? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NYIronPig

YES I have a problem...
SILVER Star
Threads
Have heard good things, but wanted to check here before I moved forward. Always been a BFG guy, but wanted to check out other options for my FJ80. Looked at the Cooper S/T Maxx and the Falken Wildpeak A/T3 before I stumbled upon these. Going to run 315/70/17. Welcome any thoughts here. Want something that I can use on pavement 50% of the time and off-road the other 50%. Very good reviews here and under $300 a tire:

https://simpletire.com/brands/milestar-tires/patagonia-m-t/reviews

you offroad 50%? That's impressive....most trailered rigs don't offroad that much :)

I do testing for Milestar, and have a set of their latest 315-70-17 MT02's on my FZJ80. Very impressed thus far, the FZJ80 has about 2500 miles on the set and they are wearing perfectly. Did a trip to Baja on them in October and had zero complaints wheeling down there at 18psi and the trip down/back was great too, improved handling and treadwear for the street. Others down there on the same tires with more miles were noting 5k between rotations and reduced wear over the earlier MT's. Milestar is predicting some decent treadlife with the updated compound and carcass. (Martin is thinking 50k, but I don't see that...but who knows....)

MT's made in Indonesia are the old model, the new MT02 model is ramping up production in Vietnam in 2022. Marketing video of the new tire:

I put about 25k hard miles on my old 315-75-16 MT's. Screwed up an air-up prior to a long trip and they cupped out, and was never able to get them back. They DO like to be run at a higher pressure, my 7000sih# FZJ80 is happiest at 38-40psi street.

I also have the ONLY set of 42-14.5-20's on my buggy. The usage there is a "bit" past what you'll be seeing :)
feathering.jpg
Shotgun2.jpg

you offroad 50%? That's impressive....most trailered rigs don't offroad that much :)

I do testing for Milestar, and have a set of their latest 315-70-17 MT02's on my FZJ80. Very impressed thus far, the FZJ80 has about 2500 miles on the set and they are wearing perfectly. Did a trip to Baja on them in October and had zero complaints wheeling down there at 18psi and the trip down/back was great too, improved handling and treadwear for the street. Others down there on the same tires with more miles were noting 5k between rotations and reduced wear over the earlier MT's. Milestar is predicting some decent treadlife with the updated compound and carcass.

MT's made in Indonesia are the old model, the new MT02 model is ramping up production in Vietnam in 2022. Marketing video of the new tire:

I put about 25k hard miles on my old 315-75-16 MT's. Screwed up an air-up prior to a long trip and they cupped out, and was never able to get them back. They DO like to be run at a higher pressure, my 7000sih# FZJ80 is happiest at 38-40psi street.

I also have the ONLY set of 42-14.5-20's on my buggy. The usage there is a "bit" past what you'll be seeing :)
View attachment 2850693View attachment 2850694

well s***, can you hook me up with a good deal on the new version set of 5?

I do testing for Milestar, and have a set of their latest 315-70-17 MT02's on my FZJ80. Very impressed thus far, the FZJ80 has about 2500 miles on the set and they are wearing perfectly. Did a trip to Baja on them in October and had zero complaints wheeling down there at 18psi and the trip down/back was great too, improved handling and treadwear for the street. Others down there on the same tires with more miles were noting 5k between rotations and reduced wear over the earlier MT's. Milestar is predicting some decent treadlife with the updated compound and carcass. (Martin is thinking 50k, but I don't see that...but who knows....)

View attachment 2850693View attachment 2850694

Hey woody. I any updates on the MT02s? I just bought a set and I’m a little worried because of some mixed reviews on the first gens

Hey woody. I any updates on the MT02s? I just bought a set and I’m a little worried because of some mixed reviews on the first gens
I wheeled 100+ days over 10 months on my 42 MT02 DOT's. Wore the sidewalls and shoulders to the skins, and took off 80% of the center tread. ZERO issues. Zero. I've been thoroughly impressed, as have the others I wheel with. Four WE Rock comps, one Delta comp, terrain from TX to UT to CA and more. Folded sidewalls around the beadlock ring, wrinkled and twisted the shoulders. Zero issues.

DO watch your pressure....every car/terrain/driver is different, so the "set and forget" fails for EVERY tire manufacture. On my buggy I usually ran 8psi. With the MT02's on my FZJ80 it varies between 16 and 24. Soft beach sand is 16. Normal trail is 18-20. Overloaded roof top tent trip is 22-24.

Honestly, the biggest failure for ANY tire is a driver who doesn't set pressure correctly to the terrain, vehicle, load and driving style. And since there are 100's of tires, that means there are 1000's of "the ideal pressure" to run. I always start too high, and ease down until it's doing what I want.

Pic1: my old 42's sitting outside the shop

Pic2: the new set of 42s....that's the drivers rear, and I rear burned to the top of that ledge

20221101_163738.jpg

IMG_20221101_134821.jpg

I wheeled 100+ days over 10 months on my 42 MT02 DOT's. Wore the sidewalls and shoulders to the skins, and took off 80% of the center tread. ZERO issues. Zero. I've been thoroughly impressed, as have the others I wheel with. Four WE Rock comps, one Delta comp, terrain from TX to UT to CA and more. Folded sidewalls around the beadlock ring, wrinkled and twisted the shoulders. Zero issues.

DO watch your pressure....every car/terrain/driver is different, so the "set and forget" fails for EVERY tire manufacture. On my buggy I usually ran 8psi. With the MT02's on my FZJ80 it varies between 16 and 24. Soft beach sand is 16. Normal trail is 18-20. Overloaded roof top tent trip is 22-24.

Honestly, the biggest failure for ANY tire is a driver who doesn't set pressure correctly to the terrain, vehicle, load and driving style. And since there are 100's of tires, that means there are 1000's of "the ideal pressure" to run. I always start too high, and ease down until it's doing what I want.

Pic1: my old 42's sitting outside the shop

Pic2: the new set of 42s....that's the drivers rear, and I rear burned to the top of that ledge

View attachment 3168367

View attachment 3168368
Thanks a ton for this. It definitely gives me more confidence. I’m driving from Montana to moab in March and I’m running everything from fins to Pritchett. Honestly I was a bit worried that I was going to come back on a trailer🥳

What size are you running on your 80? And is the carcas fairly stiff on these? 18 seems pretty high for trail pressure.

What size are you running on your 80? And is the carcas fairly stiff on these? 18 seems pretty high for trail pressure.
315 for a 17 wheel.

Again, driving style. No clue what yours is. I run as high as I can get away with.

That’s fair! Me and most of the people I wheel with run 10-12 so I was curious.
I would never go that low with an FZJ80.

I would never go that low with an FZJ80.
I’m around 6300lbs and have run a load range e for the past two years. I haven’t cut a side wall yet🤔. Ive had friends watch the tires fold over themselves into a v notch and still nothing. Maybe it’s luck, maybe it’s the tire, who knows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom