Anyone run their 200 with swaybar permanently disconnected? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I used to run my Tundra and F-150 this way, so I was curious about the Land Cruiser...

I know KDSS is supposed to mimick this as best as possible. I have no idea if there is any actual advantage doing this when you have KDSS.

Quick disconnect would be great. But that requires more skills than I have.

Thoughts???

KDSS is awesome and is completely different than all other trucks that simply have a big bar running between opposite tires on the same axle.

The 200 flexes better than my long traveled front and rear FJ (that has no anti-swag bars). No need to “disconnect” it.

But if you want to know what it feels like, just loosen the KDSS valves up 3 turns and sway bars are gone.

But seriously, you have the quickest of disconnects already.

Last edited:
Do some searching on here and you will find a thread or two on this subject. Particularly from a member from the Middle East who jumps his 200 a lot. He has posted a lot of info on this subject.

My truck had no swaybars when I bought it used. It drives fine without them, but you will notice a difference, especially in curves and in high wind. There is a good bit of body roll that makes driving more interesting. I do miss the sway bars sometimes on long drives.
If you have KDSS I would just leave it alone. That's really the best of both worlds.

Yes to everything @Taco2Cruiser has said.

I'll add that on road, not having sway bars is a rather huge liability.

Pair no sway bars with a lift, and or load that further raises the center of gravity… and it’s outright dangerous at higher speeds or emergency handling maneuver.

Lookup moose test.

@ToyotaIsLife can get away with it at he’s setup with low weight, with aircraft tires, and low traction environments. And judicious skill and cahoonas of how to drive such a vehicle.

Pair no sway bars with a lift, and or load that further raises the center of gravity… and it’s outright dangerous at higher speeds or emergency handling maneuver.

Lookup moose test.

@ToyotaIsLife can get away with it at he’s setup with low weight, with aircraft tires, and low traction environments. And judicious skill and cahoonas of how to drive such a vehicle.

I have a 2" lift and no sway bars. Drive 90mph everyday. If you're a competent driver its not a problem.

Lookup moose test.

Haha, aircraft tires :rofl:. Yes my sway bars got disconnected from day one, on all my rigs(one with a deleted KDSS and one standard sway bar that got deleted ). The boost in articulation and ride quality is simply outstanding for my environment and style of driving. I also like making tight turns, feels like i'm in a boat.

The boost in articulation and ride quality is simply outstanding for my environment and style of driving.

Ride quality I will defer to your experience.

But articulation, no. The limiting factor of the front and rear is shock length. For the rear, second limiting factor is the spring itself (as in it will fall out).

So I’d depends on what you are going.

But when it comes to what I think of as off-roaring with rocks and ruts, KDSS is not limiting any articulation.

Unless you’re talking about a more freed IFS because nothing is holding them back? But feel that is ride quality related.

Last edited:
I have a 2" lift and no sway bars. Drive 90mph everyday. If you're a competent driver its not a problem.

Competency is one thing. But it's also added risk on the open road where anything and everything can happen. Things that are oftentimes outside of the drivers control. Case in point. Moose test. Or translate that to a traffic situation where there is an sudden incident in front of you and you are barreling down at 90mph. Even a competent driver will have far less control without sway bars in executing such an accident avoidance maneuver. And then will have to worry about the secondary issue of potential rollover. The risks are real, not imagined.

And for what, a bit more articulation off road?? Does that added articulation make a material difference in progress off-road? Because KDSS already took care of that to Taco's point above. A sway bar absolutely makes a difference in handling, safety, and stability on-road.

Competency is one thing. But it's also added risk on the open road where anything and everything can happen. Things that are oftentimes outside of the drivers control. Case in point. Moose test. Or translate that to a traffic situation where there is an sudden incident in front of you and you are barreling down at 90mph. Even a competent driver will have far less control without sway bars in executing such an accident avoidance maneuver. And then will have to worry about the secondary issue of potential rollover. The risks are real, not imagined.

And for what, a bit more articulation off road?? Does that added articulation make a material difference in progress off-road? Because KDSS already took care of that to Taco's point above. A sway bar absolutely makes a difference in handling, safety, and stability on-road.
Yes. Driving is dangerous. Safer to just stay home.

Alright this thread is now dumb.

@Mutant I’m with you in that you can drive without sway bars on you’re truck. I have a somewhere around 4” lift (who knows, it’s race components I pieced together) that has a 4” wider track long traveled truck without sway bars. Travelled hundred of thousands of miles with it, loaded down, and have evasively avoided lots of possible accidents. So I get it.

While we need to take experiences to help us make better decisions, at the end of the day, we are talking about the benefit of removing KDSS from a 200.

@ToyotaIsLife setup will be much better for what he is wanting to achieve.

But it won’t be faster than a KDSS truck around a track. And let’s all be honest with ourselves for a minute... the highway, is a terrain. Even dedicated (but non-trailered) trail trucks like my 200 spend more time on paved road than the dirt. So plan accordingly.

Yes safety is always a concern like @TeCKis300 points out. And we all push the boundaries for our own personal tastes. Hell, just giving up the stock street tires for anything all terrain related will increase some amount of braking distance.

The point I’m trying to make is that every situation is different. We can give our opinion, but we need to put aside what worked for us (because of what WE wanted and was comfortable with), and give advice for what the person asking for advice wants based on THEIR personality.

@NautiqueGuy What type of off roading are to working toward improving? High speed dirt/racing or adventure travel/everything except for racing?

Last edited:
Removing your swaybar on a lightly modded, mostly stock, vehicle that sees 99% time on the road is the same as the Honda kids driving around with aftermarket tow hooks on their bumpers as they go to the vape store. But I suppose that can be said for a lot of the mods we do. So whatever, do what you want.

That said, I hope you don't have to change lanes quickly on the highway any time soon.

Removing your swaybar on a lightly modded, mostly stock, vehicle that sees 99% time on the road is the same as the Honda kids driving around with aftermarket tow hooks on their bumpers as they go to the vape store. But I suppose that can be said for a lot of the mods we do. So whatever, do what you want.

That said, I hope you don't have to change lanes quickly on the highway any time soon.
For me its 99% dirt, 1% road to get to the next dirt location.

...but of course I am writing this from beyond the grave because I drove a truck without sway bars and immediately died. Also, do not ever put a lift on your truck because it will raise the center of gravity and you will die. Don't ever add any weight to you your vehicle (especially over GVWR) because it detracts from braking and handling and you will die. Do not put mud tires on your truck because they have worse street performance and you will die. Don't put stuff on your roof, Don't carry cargo in the back, Don't use aftermarket fuel tanks, Don't mess with wiring or electronics, etc etc etc etc. It is safest to not modify any vehicle ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom