Anyone here have any experience with Sequoias? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

QUOTE="Thriller, post: 10208878, member: 90882"]View attachment 1211199 Love my 07 Sequoia 4x4. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Outstanding off road/trail capabilities. It's like having a larger 4Runner.

Only thing I've ever had to do is standard maintanence upkeep...fluids, timing belt, and brakes. Had the rear hatch handle break on me...but that was an easy fix. Wouldn't give my 1st Gen Sequoia up for anything.

Thriller[/QUOTE]

I just picked up an 04, black Limited. In this picture do you have a lift or is that stock? I'm looking to put KO2's on it. What size tire and make/model do you have?

Yep, love the 1st Gen Sequoias... just turned over 125k and still no problems. Considering switching from the RevTek Leveling kit to Bilstein coilovers for a more compliant ride.
Finally had the Warn 12S and some small Rigid Industries LEDs installed back in Feb.. this is how she's sitting now..
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG

I have a 2002 Sequoia with 247k miles on it. We bought it with 75k on it and have changed the timing belt twice and radiator once. Last time I changed the front brakes I got a pair of new drilled rotors from Rock Auto.
We drove it to Cabo last year for a desert race that I was filming and 30 minutes outside of cabo the serpentine belt tensioner pulley bearing locked up. Luckily it started spinning again after spraying WD40 on it and we made it to our hotel. A friend that was flying in for the race brought a new pulley and we changed it in the parking lot. Other than that it's been a great vehicle.
For suspension I have Total Chaos Fabrication upper control arms with Fox coil-over shocks on the front. TOTAL CHAOS FABRICATION - 2000-2006 Tundra 2WD & 4WD Upper Control Arm Suspension Kit
In the rear I have 2.0 x 10" Fox reservoir shocks and custom 2.5" lift coil springs made by Valley Spring Works in Dixon, CA. If anyone is looking to lift their Sequoia there are no rear spring coil options other than spacers. These springs work awesome and cost about $280 for the set (not sure what he charges now). If anyone wants a set give him a call and tell him that you want the same springs that Curtis Guise and Dan Brink had made a few years ago. My friend Dan was the first one that had him make them.
Hidden in the lower grill is a VisionX LED light bar.
View attachment 1259798

Hi I have the same truck as yours. I want to upgrade the suspension on it. I was looking at the chaos fabrication stuff.

I live up in Vancouver Canada. I do a lot travelling on gravel forest service roads and I need a setup that will just smooth the ride out for long back country trips. The stock setup is just shaking the truck to bits. How does the truck ride with the Upper Control Arm Kit from Chaos?

Is it nice and plush on gravel roads? Can you send me contact for Valley Spring Works in Dixon I can't seem to find them on google.

Any tips on the truck much appreciated.

Hi I have the same truck as yours. I want to upgrade the suspension on it. I was looking at the chaos fabrication stuff.

I live up in Vancouver Canada. I do a lot travelling on gravel forest service roads and I need a setup that will just smooth the ride out for long back country trips. The stock setup is just shaking the truck to bits. How does the truck ride with the Upper Control Arm Kit from Chaos?

Is it nice and plush on gravel roads? Can you send me contact for Valley Spring Works in Dixon I can't seem to find them on google.

Any tips on the truck much appreciated.

I just sent you a PM. Overall it works great with the Total Chaos Fabrication UCA's in the front with Fox coil-overs. And the new rear springs with the Fox 2.0" remote reservoir shocks. One thing I didn't say in the PM is that I could probably use more shock in the rear, like 2.5" or maybe even bypass shocks and add the bypass shocks with the Total Chaos shock hoops in the front. That's what a friend of mine did and it works much better in the desert where we go with the whoops and rougher terrain. But the way mine is now would probably be just fine for the type of terrain you have up in Canada.

What size of tires should i go with?

I just sent you a PM. Overall it works great with the Total Chaos Fabrication UCA's in the front with Fox coil-overs. And the new rear springs with the Fox 2.0" remote reservoir shocks. One thing I didn't say in the PM is that I could probably use more shock in the rear, like 2.5" or maybe even bypass shocks and add the bypass shocks with the Total Chaos shock hoops in the front. That's what a friend of mine did and it works much better in the desert where we go with the whoops and rougher terrain. But the way mine is now would probably be just fine for the type of terrain you have up in Canada.

I run 285/75R/16. Only problem is the spare barely fits in the stock spot. With Falken Wildpeak AT's it fit with about 1/4" or less clearance of the rear panhard bar. With my new BFG's it touched the panhard bar and I had to cut and grind away the backside of the tow hitch to get clearance.

Well I would hold off on getting springs from Valley Spring. I just saw that one of my rear coils broke. I don't even know how long it's been broken because I have just been driving around town on the street for the last couple months with it. The way it broke and is sitting now didn't lower the ride height, or hardly noticeable. I've been searching online and it looks like Old Man Emu makes springs that fit the Sequoia. I'll report back with what I find.

View attachment 1211199 Love my 07 Sequoia 4x4. Hands down the best vehicle I've ever owned. Outstanding off road/trail capabilities. It's like having a larger 4Runner.

Only thing I've ever had to do is standard maintanence upkeep...fluids, timing belt, and brakes. Had the rear hatch handle break on me...but that was an easy fix. Wouldn't give my 1st Gen Sequoia up for anything.

Thriller
Is your suspension stock? I want to put KO2s on mine but wondering if they'll fit with stock suspension. I have the same wheels as you.

Is your suspension stock? I want to put KO2s on mine but wondering if they'll fit with stock suspension. I have the same wheels as you.

SequoiaSean,

I’ve done a little bit of a front lift to level out the stock rake. Do a search for “Thriller” in the “Posted by Member” search option. I listed the stats in one of my few posts.

Also, if you have any questions at all, please feel free to PM me. Overall, I’m extremely happy. Love seeing folks keep these things in well maintained...it’s getting harder to find ones that are well taken care of. In my opinion they are the best Sequoia Toyota has ever made. I dig the iconic design of it.

@kemical I just installed a pair of Old Man Emu coils in my 2002 Sequoia. These are coils for a 100 series Land Cruiser, part #2865. I was running the stock coils with 2" Daystar spacers for over a month after one of my custom coils broke and finally put these in on Saturday. I read about a couple of people using these in another forum and one guy said he got about 2.5"-3" of lift. I'd say it's more like 3-4" but it's hard to say because I don't remember how tall it was stock. It rides good on the street. I haven't had it offroad yet.
IMG_8652.JPG
IMG_8654.JPG

Sorry I don't mean to thread crash, but this is beautiful. What suspension did you put on it? Did you do the diff drop too? What wheels and offset?

Hows it work off road?

We have a 2004 original owners. Has been a great vehicle. Kids are going off to college soon so I bought a Tundra, but I'm keeping the Sequoia and want to do some mods and maybe try a little overland before I spend bigger bucks on something like a Land Cruiser.

Any advice you can give me would be a huge help. My youngest daughter loves it and uses it to get to High School right now, but I'm just about ready to start the conversion.

Thanks and sorry for the interruption.

OP: My 2004 Limited has been an incredibly reliable vehicle (at 117,000) other than the hatch latch, the rear widow was intermittent, polishing the head lamps, the speakers need replacing, and the parking brake light comes on occasionally until adjusted. That's it. I had the timing belt and water pump replaced at about 85K.

You have to engage the 4wd every month or two for 30 minutes to keep the blood flowing in the transfer case, but other than that I take it to Oil Changers periodically to check and replace fluids. I've decided to keep the vehicle, so recently I took it to the dealer to go through it. I had them change every fluid, and flush the transmission. I even had them flush the brake fluid, power steering, grease everything, and replace the coolant. It drives like new, except I think it needs shocks. I put a K&N air filter in it years ago and that gets cleaned occasionally.

We have frequently used all 7 (or is it 8) seats, and I have sat in the "way back" a couple of times and it is pretty comfy. I saved our HS sports teams on two occasions when transportation was limited. With our family of 4 and 2 dogs we can tow our boat for a 7 days trip to Lake Shasta and have just enough room to be comfortable.

I think the Gen 1 2004 Sequoia is under appreciated. But its not perfect; The brakes are only adequate, the suspension and tires need to be upgraded for towing real weight, turning radius could be WAY better, and it could have more power (basically fixed in 2005).

@kemical I just installed a pair of Old Man Emu coils in my 2002 Sequoia. These are coils for a 100 series Land Cruiser, part #2865. I was running the stock coils with 2" Daystar spacers for over a month after one of my custom coils broke and finally put these in on Saturday. I read about a couple of people using these in another forum and one guy said he got about 2.5"-3" of lift. I'd say it's more like 3-4" but it's hard to say because I don't remember how tall it was stock. It rides good on the street. I haven't had it offroad yet.View attachment 1586502 View attachment 1586503

Love those XD bully wheels.

Just thought I'd throw mine in here. Haven't done any exterior mods yet but have a new suspension planned, new bumper (I like that Brute Force with the 05-07 grille piece) and eventually sliders. Just upgraded the front speakers (that was fun, ugh) a new Headunit and amp are next.

If anyone has suggestions please feel free to share.

Sequoia to Colorado.jpg

Seq Old Speakers.jpg

Seq New Speakers.jpg

Forgive me if I've missed it but has anyone figured out how to make a Center diff lock work when the transmission is in reverse?

Sometimes you have to back up when on a trail when the rig switches from 4WD to one wheel drive means you always have to have a winch on the back.

Just thought I'd throw mine in here. Haven't done any exterior mods yet but have a new suspension planned, new bumper (I like that Brute Force with the 05-07 grille piece) and eventually sliders. Just upgraded the front speakers (that was fun, ugh) a new Headunit and amp are next.

If anyone has suggestions please feel free to share.

View attachment 1686037

View attachment 1686048

View attachment 1686049

That's a good looking tree.

Also be sure to check out sequoia-forums and the Sequoia Off-Road group and the Tundra Solutions group. There is a lot of good info on there.

Forgive me if I've missed it but has anyone figured out how to make a Center diff lock work when the transmission is in reverse?

Sometimes you have to back up when on a trail when the rig switches from 4WD to one wheel drive means you always have to have a winch on the back.

Your question prompted me to create an account after lurking for years. I have an '01 SR5 4WD and searched high and low for this mod. I finally found it on a forum (can't remember which one) and copied/condensed it into a Google Doc. Again, I can't take credit for it but here is the link to my Google doc:
01-02 Center Diff Lock MOD

Your question prompted me to create an account after lurking for years. I have an '01 SR5 4WD and searched high and low for this mod. I finally found it on a forum (can't remember which one) and copied/condensed it into a Google Doc. Again, I can't take credit for it but here is the link to my Google doc:
01-02 Center Diff Lock MOD
Fantastic! I thought someone must have worked it out. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom