Anyone had this cruise control problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landtank said:
seems to me it has something to do with the trailer converter. MOT, you might want to ask if they have the trailer harness to anyone who has the leds without the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion, Rick.

I'll do just that.

Yours,

Mot

hhhmm.....I'll try disconnecting the converter too.....

tho, with the trailer hooked, its not an issue....

may be making a run up north this weekend and can test out the non-convertor theory...

With the trailer hooked up there is an incandescent bulb connected to the brake circuit to absorb the small voltage spike coming from the turn signal on the ground wire where I bet both the brake and turns signals are grounded.

Ok, so after some tests today I can tell you I definitly do not the problem. I tried everything to get the cruise to cut out but nothing. I have the trailer harness, and have never hooked up a trailer. I feel that the problem is from using the bulbs that are included with the lights and nothing to do with the LED portion which is only the brake. I used the stock clear bulbs in the blinker spot and have no problems. Hope this helps, I would like to hear from someone that has the problem after the put back in the stock bulbs and take out the amber bulbs...see if that helps.

clarkrw3 said:
Ok, so after some tests today I can tell you I definitly do not the problem. I tried everything to get the cruise to cut out but nothing. I have the trailer harness, and have never hooked up a trailer. I feel that the problem is from using the bulbs that are included with the lights and nothing to do with the LED portion which is only the brake. I used the stock clear bulbs in the blinker spot and have no problems. Hope this helps, I would like to hear from someone that has the problem after the put back in the stock bulbs and take out the amber bulbs...see if that helps.

Rob,

Thanks for going through the troudle to test it.

I sure hope that the amber bulb is the culprit and that getting it/them from another/local source takes care of it.

Mot :anxious:

tried a dozen options, and none ended up working....different lights, etc....LOTS of online searching showed that it's a common problem for LED brake lights to cause cruise control and even ABS issues tho...

Nissan Diesel even put out a bulletin on it...
http://www.udtrucks.com/Q_Tech_Notes/BBB14.pdf#search="led brake resistor"

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ord-Light~bulbs-Signal,Corner,Tail~and~accessories~bulbs-1-33226.htm
is one repair options, hooked in parallel (one wire to brake-hot, one to ground) For $10 ea, that's the proper way really...

I ended up at Radio Shack however....in their resistor corner, I found a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor that looks simlar to the one used by udtrucks.com - a package of two was under $2. Wired them in parallel, and my cruise is working just fine.

If I correctly understand that the 10 ohm resister is connected from the hot (approx 13.5 volts with engine running, not accounting for any voltage drop in the wiring) to ground, then the power consumed by the resistor is a bit over 18 watts.

woody,

Sorry to hear all the trouble you had to go through because of the LED rears. :frown:

I hope it was just a bad batch or something with yours and Dave Z's since I have not heard anybody else mention the grief it's caused them. But nonetheless(sp) I'm really sorry that it's happened.

Yours,

Mot

Woody,

Have you tried disconnecting the trailer light converter altogether? I think the converter might be the culpit as a lot of other people have had problems with the converter burning up for no reason. Sounds like the internal diode in the converter might be shot and allowing feedback from the turnsignal back into the stop/brake circuit.

FWIW, my LX450 with the OEM towing package never exhibited any of the cruise control problem mentioned here. I have installed Mot's LED rear lights and tow a trailer on occation. I also have a receiver light that is hooked into the trailer wiring harness.

10-4. LED tail lights and rear indicators were put into factory housings. When CC was on, it would kick out if I used my blinker/indicator. So I installed two 10w 100ohm (IIRC) resistors. One on each of the TAIL LIGHT leads, and the problem is resolved.

there are special flashers for led lights that mimic factory resistance. check a good automotive light store.

there are special flashers for led lights that mimic factory resistance. check a good automotive light store.

You are correct in that for blinkers to operate properly you must use a different flasher/resistor, but that is completely unrelated to this issue. Those flasher/resistors go on the indicator circuit and regulate the resistance so that your indicators don't do the fast blinking/burnt out bulb indication.

This problem is related to cruise control and involves installing a resistors in the TAIL LIGHTS, NOT THE TURN INDICATORS, even though the symptom arises when one tries to use their indicators with cruise control engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom