Anyone else's windshield trim FLY OFF on the highway??!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

swamp-thing

SILVER Star
Threads
85 Pickup chrome whindshield trim decided to get airborne at 65 mph.......gathered it up from the ditch, reinstalled with NEW clips but I don't trust this thing to stay on... Am I the only one -- any mods to fix this? I'd like to keep the trim on if possible.

Mine has masking tape holding it on.

I haven't found a solition. From my understanding the parts aren't available anymore.

I was lucky enough to get the chrome pieces I was missing a few years ago;)

I have seriously thought about just pulling the trim and just filling in the gap with black RTV:hillbilly:

I was lucky enough to get the chrome pieces I was missing a few years ago;)

I have seriously thought about just pulling the trim and just filling in the gap with black RTV:hillbilly:

Since they've been on ( I assume ) for those few years... how did you get them to stay. My flimsy plastic clips don't seem to be up to the task.
I recovered my chrome from the side of the road, so all good there, just don't want it to come off again, esp. while driving at night or in traffic where I'm sure they will perish -- haha

I used the factory clips, and I had the good Toyota windshield guy re-install the trim, haven't lost a piece yet;)

I tried RTV only to have the trim pop off.

The chrome trim is NLA, but you can get aftermarket clip kits for doing the entire thing.

When I had my windshield installed in my cab after it was painted, I called a local glass place and explained I needed their most experienced installer for a classic vehicle. They hooked me up with a guy that has been there for over 20 years, and he has done dozens of these trucks. He came to my house, worked in my garage and even let me help. He really knew how to do this trim, and I was glad I wasn't doing it. What was supposed to be a 45 min install took him almost 3 hours. He even popped in the side Xtra cab windows and the rear slider, just cause he wanted to. Really cool guy. He got a nice tip, and he earned it.

I've got a duct tape visor as I am in need of both someone familiar with these clips and source for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom