Any issue with Dexron IV for power steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Our manuals call for Dexron II or III for power steering fluid. Per GM, Dexron IV is backwards compatible in Dex III applications, but not anything before. I happen to have a gallon of IV sitting around from my LS swap, and need to flush the PS.

As far as I can tell the main difference is supposed synthetic base stock and a slightly lower initial viscosity.. but the synthetic stock means that once sheared it ends up similar viscosity to a dexron III fluid. It is also MUCH more capable of avoiding degradation from high temperatures, though I don't know if this has an practical benefit for our steering system.

Anyone see any problems with my thinking that it would be fine to run Dexron IV in this application?

I was trying to find an actual power steering fluid that toyota used when new, which is gold.. but no luck so far.

Thanks

A couple years.

Does it have a shelf life?
Yes, but much longer that - but - if it was opened then I'd be more cautious. An opened container kicking around in your garage is prone to picking up contaminants - far more than the fluid that is in your car for 5+ years in a "semi-sealed" environment.

I’m an idiot. This whole time it is Dexron VI (6)

Hopefully people accounted for my lack of attention to detail

Following.

Mine’s due for replacement, but I’m having a hard time finding “genuine” Toyota clear fluid.

Plenty of posts claiming synthetic ATFs like Mobil 1 are acceptable substitutes.

Following.

Mine’s due for replacement, but I’m having a hard time finding “genuine” Toyota clear fluid.

Plenty of posts claiming synthetic ATFs like Mobil 1 are acceptable substitutes.
90K on our 470 with M1...changed every 2 years or ~ 30K.

Contrasting the LX to the 200...

M1 works in the transmission and PS system, and M1 75W-90 does the rest of the drivetrain in the LX.

The 200 uses M1 ATF for PS, 75W-90 in the diffs, and a magical Toyota 75W synthetic for the transfer case. I used M1 once there for around 30K and had 2 instances of diff lock warning light. The light issue went away when I switched over to Ravenoil, which meets the relevant Toyota specs. It's ~ $13 per liter v. Toyota's at ~ $70. Dealers here use M1 or Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 as they say their customers puke on the price of the Toyota fluid.

'Yota also uses WS fluid in the trans...Havoline synthetic meets Toyota's ATF WS specs, so I've got some of both. Found the Toyota stuff on Prime for $6 a liter with shipping and could not resists.

Contrasting the LX to the 200...

M1 works in the transmission and PS system, and M1 75W-90 does the rest of the drivetrain in the LX.

The 200 uses M1 ATF for PS, 75W-90 in the diffs, and a magical Toyota 75W synthetic for the transfer case. I used M1 once there for around 30K and had 2 instances of diff lock warning light. The light issue went away when I switched over to Ravenoil, which meets the relevant Toyota specs. It's ~ $13 per liter v. Toyota's at ~ $70. Dealers here use M1 or Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 as they say their customers puke on the price of the Toyota fluid.

'Yota also uses WS fluid in the trans...Havoline synthetic meets Toyota's ATF WS specs, so I've got some of both. Found the Toyota stuff on Prime for $6 a liter with shipping and could not resists.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried that Havoline ATF in the power steering system?

I noticed that it meets both the Toyota WS spec and also claims to be suitable for Dexron II and III.

I replaced mine this morning with Mobil1 MV ATF, but while I was looking at the auto parts store shelf, I couldn't help but think it'd be pretty nice to use one jug for both the transmission and power steering.

Edit: The product I'm thinking of is Valvoline MaxLife ATF, not Havoline.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom