Any ay to "undo" the effects of treat-based dog training? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A well-meaning but unaware dog-sitter fed the poodle dog treats in exchange for poodle doing the basics (sit, stay and fetch).

The poodle had been raised and trained by my kid, who only used praise. She wasn't allowed anywhere near humans when food was being consumed. Not at all a food-riented animal.

A month ago, the dog would obey vocal and hand commands and sit in the middle of a pack of playing puppies all day if you asked her to. Fetched anything from a tennis ball to the smaller dog.

Today, she looks at you like you're crazy if you ask her to fetch. Will still do the sit and stay kind of stuff, but otherwise I think she's figured out that there is no bag of kibble in my pocket, so she won't chase a thing. She also thinks it appropriate to walk up to the kitchen table, when previously she knew nothing good would come of that.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about meeting her in the middle, maybe a few treats until I get the responses back, then weaning her somehow. But I don't know what the "somehow" is.

I would say you are going to need to simply spend the time "training" her back to the way she was. She will never forget the treats, but if you spend the time and put in the work you should be able to get her dialed back in using praise as a reward. Maybe a treat at the END of a training session would be a good way to meet in the middle, without it being performance related?

It sounds like she's been trained to expect the treat. I would use them when I feel like it, but also use praise at the same time. Slowly wean her from the treats.

I just bought the book Super Puppy off Amazon and our new pup is making great improvements.

:cheers:

Poodles. Too smart for their own good I guess.
Some dogs have a 'what's in it for me' attitude with training. I'm kinda surprised that a poodle is doing that though.
I'd go back from the beginning and try retraining with praise only and no treats. If you treat some times, you're leaving it open for negotiation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom