Any 5th Gen 4Runner Owners? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I moved from a 5th gen 4Runner to my 200 Series. I’ve had a similar experience as others in this thread. The quality difference is apparent. I had a couple months of overlap between the vehicles as I sold the 4Runner myself after getting the 200. The 4Runner was a fine vehicle, capable off road but after driving the 200 for a couple of months, the 4Runner just seemed small, loud, and underpowered. They’re fine vehicles but are much more different than the 200 series than it appears on first drive.

My FIL has a 5th gen Limited. Every time I'm in that car I'm shocked at how much lower-quality it feels all around. Noise, fit and finish, material quality, feel. Even stuff like window glass thickness. Really a totally different class of vehicle.

Subjectively I think the 5th gen 4R are downright hideous looking vehicles, looking only mildly acceptable in Limited form with the giant wheels. I also can't stand the gunslit sightlines out of the car as a driver.

FWIW I owned a 3rd Gen and a 4th Gen V8 in the past, as well. The LCs I've had (100 and 200) really have nothing in common with 4R of any generation.

My FIL has a 5th gen Limited. Every time I'm in that car I'm shocked at how much lower-quality it feels all around. Noise, fit and finish, material quality, feel. Even stuff like window glass thickness. Really a totally different class of vehicle.

Subjectively I think the 5th gen 4R are downright hideous looking vehicles, looking only mildly acceptable in Limited form with the giant wheels. I also can't stand the gunslit sightlines out of the car as a driver.

FWIW I owned a 3rd Gen and a 4th Gen V8 in the past, as well. The LCs I've had (100 and 200) really have nothing in common with 4R of any generation.

Except for identical drivetrains for those 4th gens with the 2UZ....that’s not “nothing”. It makes for quite a spirited driving experience.

The 5th gen feels like a tin can compared to the 4th Gen.

Except for identical drivetrains for those 4th gens with the 2UZ....that’s not “nothing”. It makes for quite a spirited driving experience.

The 5th gen feels like a tin can compared to the 4th Gen.

Good point, I should have given more praise to the 4th Gen. My 4th Gen V8 I drove for 9 years from brand new, spectacular vehicle. Very peppy particularly with the VVti. One of my very favorites. Still, once I drove a 100 I knew it was a totally different level of quality and driving feel.

I looked at the 4th gen and 5th gen 4R before buying my LX570.

I actually had my eye initially set on the 4G 4R Limited, but dealerships around here wanted a premium for 100k+ miles, and many of them around here were from the East Coast, rusted, and had issues with their 4lo/4hi actuators. The few Limited's in good condition that were available were sold literally the day it hit the market, and I couldn't get to them in time to buy it. Lost out on 2 of these, so I gave up on the 4G 4R.

I then looked at a few 5G 4R Limited's, but I was not impressed and felt disappointed. I felt for $45k there was just too much plastic, and the interior looked very cheap. I also found visibility to be of an issue, I couldn't see very well outside the truck, not sure why.

I briefly considered the GX, but couldn't get pass the rear barn door.

So at the suggestion of the wife I checked out used 470s and 570s. Vastly different and superior to the 4R, just a different beast. Great comfy interior, very planted and stable ride, can tackle any terrain and weather, can haul or carry most things with ease, and both my wife and daughter like riding in it. I found a CPO 09 LX570 w/85k miles for $32k at 1.5 years ago, traded in my Acura TL, so here I am.

From my point of view, the negatives with these 570s are that the city mpg is abysmal (I get 11-12mpg in the city), and the maintenance costs are a bit higher due to more fluid changes needed.

From my point of view, the negatives with these 570s are that the city mpg is abysmal (I get 11-12mpg in the city), and the maintenance costs are a bit higher due to more fluid changes needed.

Agreed on the fuel economy. I get around 12-13 in the city.

I've found maintenance costs to be less than my 4Runner. The brake calipers on my 4Runner tended to freeze up. It seemed like every other year I was replacing another couple calipers.

I had a 4G 4R V8 Limited. Great great midsize all doing all capable vehicle. For mixed use and daily commuting, absolutely hard to beat. It's pep and agility, with vvti V8 motor is unmatched. Almost...

I have had an LX470 and now LX570. Absolute pinnacle of do everything over-indulgent vehicle. Rides like a buttery Lexus LS sedan, with 33 AT tires. Mass reserves of torque and power. Quick for its size, but big and heavy. In the spectrum of awesome SUVs, possibly a bit too much and I feel just a tad guilty using it as a daily driver. But if pinnacle and excessive is your style, can't beat a 200 series.

So what better to beat a perfect 4R...than a 4R, Prado style! My Dad has a 06 GX470. If you can get over the styling of the vehicle, its absolutely the perfect balanced combination. They actually look great when made up overland style. A bigger and better appointed coach than the 4R. All the power you'd ever want in a more agile package. The barn door actually has some nice benefits. Don't have to crawl in to reach, lightweight to open and close, and works seamlessly with a swing out tire carrier without separate levers. The FJ guys know a barn door has its advantages.

Last edited:
I have owned an 80, currently a 200 LX 570, a GX 460, two FJC's, and now three 5th Gen T4R's, the current being a TRD Pro.

The 80 was awesome, old school looks, straight axles, triple locked, the last of the true off-roaders. Good luck finding one not rotted out or beat to crap and if you do be prepared to bend over as the asking price will be astronomical.

The GX was our first Lexus and introduction to the plush ride and quality interior. It was a great SUV with a pleasant little V8 and 6-speed transmission, but I am no fan of the barn door and the third row layout eats up a lot of the cargo space. The spindle grill alienates some just like the 2016+ LX and the interior is 10+ years dated. These are basically the fancy and better powered version of a 4Runner. I have flirted with the idea of getting another but likely never will.

The FJC's were cool, lots of aftermarket like the 4Runner and Tacoma and great off-road. Looks are subjective as always, again I hated the barn door along with the tiny suicide rears. Horrid blind spots and terrible FOV out front. Both were Trails Teams and manuals, I sold both for more than I paid for them.

We've had a SR5 Premium 4x4, Limited 4x4, and now a TRD Pro in the 5th Gen 4Runners. All have been great around town vehicles and they do quite well off-road. Fuel economy is acceptable and they have more usable interior space with the second row folded down than the GX. The aftermarket is insane, approaching Jeep levels of late. The motor and tranny while reliable and acceptable, leave a lot to be desired. Should you tow more than 2,500lbs you'll hate every minute of it. The front end feels light and darty at highway speeds (70+) and it gets pushed around like crazy in high winds. The road and wind noise are very noticeable and the sheet metal is scary thin, you sneeze on it and you might dent it. I have a love/hate relationship with the 4Runner, I am constantly trying to talk myself out of selling it for another 200 and just when I get close to doing it I stop myself. I am losing the strength to stop myself as of late and I am now seriously considering trading/selling it this year.

We haven't even had our 200-LX570 for two months now but even in that short amount of time you can tell why these vehicles are so coveted and why owners hang onto them for the long haul. The power is ample, the ride plush, the road and wind noise nearly non-existent. They do feel heavy in weight and in the steering but that's up for you to decide if that's a drawback or a plus. They are just a smidge too big when it comes to trails, but they get it done the same as any modern half-ton truck. Like most, I wish it got better fuel economy and had at least a rear locker. I feel they are just a hair over priced but I can't complain when it comes to the resale values.

In closing I can understand and relate to your debacle as I have been suffering the same affliction for months now. In the end I'll likely give in and replace mine with another 200, but I'll look back fondly on our time with the 5th Gens. If you understand their strengths and weaknesses and don't expect them to be a $65K+ SUV then they are quite remarkable for the money, but there's simply no comparison between them and a 200.

I have an '11 200 and a '12 4runner Limited. Previously owned an 03 4R w v8. The LC has had the radiator and water pump replaced. 5th gen 4runner has had zero issues. Both have similar miles. Both have had all required maintenance. TBH, I think the 4runner is built really well, even though the 200 has better fit and finish and better off road w kdss. The powerband is in a higher rpm range, but it has plenty of power if you aren't heavily armored or towing. With all the small replacement issues on the LC (wp, radiator, starter) I think the 4runner may be slightly more reliable.

The 200 is a much better vehicle, but the price and resale makes the 4runner a best buy value for any SUV on the market. I offered to get my wife a 200 or gx460 to replace it, but she wants another 4runner (waiting to see if the 2021 is a 6th gen then deciding if it looks better or worse than the 2020 b4 we pull the trigger).

My 03 4R was amazing, but the brake calipers froze up multiple times. Finally put 5th gen calipers on it. Sold it to buy my 200.

Edit: the LC, probably due to weight, goes through brakes about twice as fast as the 4R as well.

Just wish the 3rd gen Tacoma was on par with the 4runner. The Tacoma in current form leaves a lot to be desired.

20190315_190128.jpg

20170310_084630.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom