Anti-Rattle or Hitch Tightener for 4x4Labs Trailer Hitch Receiver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone come across any solutions for stopping rattle on the hitch receiver for the 4x4labs rear bumper? I love the bumper and have zero issues with it. However, because of the angled design I have not found a good solution to stop rattle in bike racks or other hitch attachments. The traditional U bolt anti-rattle devices don't work because of the angled design and clearance provided by the tucked-in hitch. Any suggestions or solutions would be appreciated. Pics for attention and reference.

4x4labs hitch.jpg

I use my receiver hitch in my 4X4 Labs bumper to haul my son's dirt bike. When the bike is loaded, I ratchet strap the bike to the two recovery points on the bumper and it is rock-solid. Even on the trail. No rattles.

Rainer_WR3.jpg

Thanks for the reply, we use the same solution now, using ratchet straps tied to the D rings to reduce sway, and it does work well. Glad to see this solution reaffirmed.
I use my receiver hitch in my 4X4 Labs bumper to haul my son's dirt bike. When the bike is loaded, I ratchet strap the bike to the two recovery points on the bumper and it is rock-solid. Even on the trail. No rattles.

View attachment 2697165

@jcardona1 This looks like a winner. Thanks!

You know what sucks, I was just looking at this a few days ago as I wanted to make a hitch-mounted swingout. It was $150 last week, they just jacked up the price by over 30%!

You know what sucks, I was just looking at this a few days ago as I wanted to make a hitch-mounted swingout. It was $150 last week, they just jacked up the price by over 30%!
That's because steel prices have skyrocketed.

Check to make sure your receiver section will be long enough to adapt this. I don't think my factory hitch is deep enough to deal with that wedge and not be into the spare tire.

I drilled and tapped a hole for a bolt with a lock nut. I tighten it against the receiver extension for my bike rack and it has been rattle free loaded or unloaded.

I like this one even better! Thanks for posting.

I do that for all my receivers including the trailer side if the mount is removable. My only difference is, I don't tap the hole, I weld the nut in place.

I do that for all my receivers including the trailer side if the mount is removable. My only difference is, I don't tap the hole, I weld the nut in place.

That was my original plan because I was worried the receiver was too thin to cut enough threads. But this was easier than setting up the welder and hasn't been an issue so far. If it does strip out it would be fairly easy to weld a nut on. I do pull the bolt when on trails that it could drag on.

I do pull the bolt when on trails that it could drag on.
I use a 1/2 inch bolt and cut the length down to where it is almost flush with the nut when tightened. If it wears down and is loose again, I just replace the bolt. I learned about this "trick" decades ago and have done it to all my hitch's since.

That was my original plan because I was worried the receiver was too thin to cut enough threads. But this was easier than setting up the welder and hasn't been an issue so far. If it does strip out it would be fairly easy to weld a nut on. I do pull the bolt when on trails that it could drag on.
If you do this from the side instead of the bottom, you don't have to worry about the bolt head dragging and it won't affect the load where the bolt presses on the hitch body.

I drilled and tapped a hole for a bolt with a lock nut. I tighten it against the receiver extension for my bike rack and it has been rattle free loaded or unloaded.

View attachment 2697768
This is the way I have been doing it for decades, only difference is I like to weld a piece of 1/2" rod to the bolt for a handle so no wrench is needed

Thought I’d share because I thought it wouldn’t work. A simple 12” extender and a standard anti rattle u-bolt and plate fit perfectly and I’m able to carry load up my 1up bike mount- it’s extra solid. Works perfectly since I need distance from the spare tire anyways.

IMG_1954.jpeg

IMG_1955.jpeg

I just used some polymer framing shim stock, like a thin plastic wedge. Just stuff it in when you use the hitch and pull it when you don't. (If I get really ambitious I might even glue it to the hitch tube someday.) Works perfect and K.I.S.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom