Antenna mounting locations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I recently sold my 08 4runner build (pics below), a bought my wife a 15 GX460. We/I already have a build list going to start our family Overland rig but I need ideas for mounting my ham radio antenna. I had my 4runners on the back hatch but I don’t think that can happen with the GX swing out door. Let me know what you guys run.

Thanks

DC18F6E8-DA94-4CFD-B374-AB97F50C413A.jpeg

FB13B70B-FA94-4546-945C-2D7FE335DD9B.jpeg

Why wouldn’t the rear hatch mount work? Did you have a clamp mount like the RS-730?

Another good option are the brackets that mount in the hood channel: http://www.gamiviti.com/antenna-brackets
No go on the hood mount. The wife dd’s this car and she doesn’t want to look at any antennas in front of her. I would try my old mount but it was sold with the truck. Curious whose running what now so I know it works.

I had my UHF/VHF antenna mounted to my roof rack initially. But when I went with the RTT and Rhino Rack crossbars I had to go with the hood mount option. Unfortunately the rear door doesn’t have a great mounting place for an antenna. I was able to get a diamond antenna mount low on the drivers side of the door (clamped to the metal portion of of door), but this would have led to a really long antenna ore run, and I’d have to drill through the door to run the wire across.

Antenna mounting was so much easier on my 4th gen 4runner. I had both my UHV/VHF and my HF screwdriver mounted fairly easily on that hatch.

Why wouldn’t the rear hatch mount work? Did you have a clamp mount like the RS-730?

Another good option are the brackets that mount in the hood channel: http://www.gamiviti.com/antenna-brackets

I ordered the gamiviti mount, but it rubbed on my hood when I installed it. So I stuck with my diamond mount instead.

Last edited:
My HAM antenna is mounted on the tab that's already provided on my rear Metal Tech bumper.
I like it because it's relatively low and does not increase my height even further for getting into parking garages.

I just went and took a few pictures of my setup and posted them on my build thread in case anyone else is interested. Here is my build thread if you're interested in those pic's: Builds - R2M 2013 GX 460 Expo . I have a parts list of everything I've done so far on that thread.

I just picked up my first CB (Cobra C75WXST) and a Wilson Lil' Wil magnetic deal, 3'. Gets me online for now, but I do plan to go GMRS which I'd then go up top in back corner area since the antenna size would decrease substantially. I haven't given much thought to HAM, but I think GMRS gives you good flexibility to a spotter with a walkie-talkie potentially on a FRS channel. Maybe I'm off, I'm new to the radio game but CB is definitely noisy and painful after a while :(

Moose545, depending upon what rear bumper you get, it may already have a mount for an antenna on it.
My Metal Tech rear bumper did. It's nice on account if it being between the spare tire and rear door (protected) and it's not any higher than the highest part of vehicle so no issues with parking garages. So far the location seems fine. I can hit repeaters on the top of our local mountain at some 40 miles away and works great on trail rides.
If you go to my build thread, I recently added a few photos of where it's mounted on my rig.

Thanks man. In regards to HAM, how do you find out where the repeaters are, are they the same repeaters GMRS can use, totally different I’d assume yeah?

Thanks man. In regards to HAM, how do you find out where the repeaters are, are they the same repeaters GMRS can use, totally different I’d assume yeah?
They are different. There are multiple ways to find HAM repeaters. AARL has a repeater directory, there are apps, and there are websites like RepeaterBook.com.

EDIT: here is a couple of shots I took that happen to show my antenna mounted to the hood of my truck.

Last edited:
Slick, thanks man much appreciated 👍🏼

I am running a Diamond NR770B Antenna and the mount I'm currently using is the Diamond K412S medium-duty lip mount, I plan on upgrading the mount to the Diamond K400D heavy-duty lip mount. The NR770 is a very durable antenna. I've had it on my last couple of trucks, mounted high, and it's been through brush, trees, and parking structures and it's still going strong. That being said; it's not as easy to fold anymore, it has taken a slight bend, and I've lost one of the two set screws (loosing set screws seems to be common with antennas and off-road driving).

EDIT: Here's where I mounted my antenna before I removed the Front Runner roof rack and installed the Rhino Rack cross bars and my RTT. I noticed a pretty decent drop in reception by having the antenna lower than I used to have it.

Last edited:
Nice terrain out there, I love the Blue Ridge here but I think I get bored cause I can't gaze into the distance like out West. All the more reason to migrate! Thanks for the info buddy, I'll look up that stuff. If you know of any HAM-101 stuff shoot me a DM, interested in learning more there. Is there a certain frequency or channel you as an offroader user use or do you just establish something with your group ahead of time; just thinking how you'd coordinate vs. with CB telling everyone ok, ch16 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom