Another Wheels Size Question, already spent $200 on shipping wheels that dont fit. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey everyone.. new to the GX world. I thought I had the wheel size figured out, but I don't. Ive been searching and reading all over the place here and find myself more confused about wheel size.. mostly offset/BS and how it relates to how far the when sticks out past the fender flare.

for what its worth, will be doing a FOX coilover, 2'5" lift or so with some total chaos UCA. also 2" lift coils in the rear. not too interested in big tire.. so im thinking 265/70's or maybe 275/70 range. I want the tires flush or slightly out past the flare and this is where im lost.. what is the target wheels size and BS/Offset to achieve this???

most pics and info on the threads doesn't have the BS or the picture is from the side and cannot make out how far it may stock out.

I wanted to go with Fuel Wheels., had them on my Tacoma.

for 17's Fuel has:
Tactic D630 is 17x9 with -12 offset and 4.5" BS.
Tactic D630 is 18x9 with -12 offset and 4.5" BS.
Tactic D630 is 18x9 with -1 offset and 5" BS.
Tactic D630 is 18x9 with 20 offset and 5.75" BS.
Vector D601 is 17x8.5 with 7 offset and 5"BS.
Vector D601 is 17x9 with -12 offset and 4.5"BS.
Vector D601 is 18x9 with 1 offset and 5"BS.

I'm running 17x9 with +18mm offset and stock tire size. What I see people using with the wider/taller tires (275, 285) is 17x9 with -12mm offset (18x9 @-12mm would also work). Pushes the wheel more outboard making room for the taller, wider rubber.

Mine are 17x9
0 Offset
5.00 Backspace
106.1 Center bore
265/70-17

IMG_1940.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

z00t3ch, How much do you think it sticks out past the fenders with the -12 offset? I found tiresize.com it would help see the difference from factory to aftermarket but don't know what the factory offset is... I see 32mm, tire shop told me 25mm.

You need to know both offset and width in order to figure it out. For example, let's say you have a 17x8 wheel with 0mm offset and you replace it with a 17x9 wheel with 0mm offset. Your new wheel will extend half an inch farther inboard and outboard.

dcg141 looks great. im shooting for that size combo! of the wheels I found so far, that I like the most, they are 0 offset with 4.75bs. if I remember right, that should push it out .25"

Put a 3-4' level to the edge of the fender. Make sure it's vertical and measure to the lip outer most sidewall of your current tire. You need to know your current wheel Offset. The front would move in about 3/8-1/2" when you lift the suspension 2.5"

Go to this website and plug in your current tire and wheel Offset.
You could check which one would line up to the edge of the fender the most.

I think the TRD off road +4 offset is the perfect balance between wider stance, body mount and frame clearance for 255-285 wide tires.

can you confirm the offset and/or BS? With a 9" wide wheel and a 0mm offset, the BS would be 4.5". If the BS is 5", the offset would be about +12mm.
RRW Wheels I was nervous ordering them because I didn't see any other wheels to that spec but they fit perfect.

Last edited:
Is that just camera trick or you running positive camber.

Could be a little of both. I took those pics right after (immediately) I installed the lift, UCAs and tires. Pulled it out of the garage and took a test drive to make sure everything felt right... It was before alignment so there is a possibility.

OEM wheels are 17x7.5 @+25mm offset.

A 17x9 @-12mm wheel would, of course, extend 3/4" more inward and outward than stock, but the 37mm (1.46") difference in offset would then push the entire rim/tire outboard 37mm/1.46" compared to stock creating clearance for much wider rubber. If all you want is a set of 31's (265/70-17), the stock wheels will accommodate that just fine.

A 17x9 @0 (zero) offset would be shifted nearly 1/2" back inboard compared to the 17x9 @-12mm above.

The stock oem wheels are 17x7.5 with a +25 offset. The stock tires are 265/65R17s. So, compare to these oem specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom