Another warn 8274 winch question...seized one located (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a seized 8274 today.

The owner states: The winch does not respond to electrical input, which leads me to believe it is the motor that has let go... although some people have been known to replace the motor with an old Ford starter. Asking 150.

Before I bite off more than I can chew, really how much can go wrong with one of these winches? I've read quite on them lately and these seem bullet proof for the most part.

For the experts...being a novice with these, does his diagnosis make sense?Anyone have experience with this same situation?

Thanks for the help.

Is the winch close by...where you could test it?

If so, I would take a pair of jumper cables and bypass the solenoid pack to test the motor.

Electrical "problem" can mean anything from a corroded connection to solenoid failure, to a burnt motor.

If the winch appears to be in good shape (physically) I.E. no excessive rust or other signs of abuse, then it is PROBABLY alright on the inside of the gear case.

I would not buy one sight unseen...or at least have some good pics. to look at.

x2. You can rebuild them, but whatever new parts for them are required, and still come out way ahead with one of the best winches ever made.

The 350 dollar one sold before I could buy it. I'm pursuing the seized one and found out that he had tried to jump it but it would not go. He also said that the starter from a BB ford would work. I'm going to contact Warn to ask them for a price on a rebuild kit.

The 350 dollar one sold before I could buy it. I'm pursuing the seized one and found out that he had tried to jump it but it would not go. He also said that the starter from a BB ford would work. I'm going to contact Warn to ask them for a price on a rebuild kit.

Never heard of that! I doubt that is correct...and a new motor (correct) is readily available off of ebay anyway. I can't see how a starter motor would even mount to it, let alone have the proper length shaft, plus... it has no provision to be reversed. :confused:

You need to know which shaft the motor has (splined or keyway) then you can buy the correct one.

Unbelieveable...I found one locally, recently rebuilt and comes with everything. No sight unseen, not a project but a wokring one for 300 out the door! I'm thinking about changing my cruiser to the "craigslist cruiser"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom