Another Post With Questions About a Lift and Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your ride quality probably has more to do with your E-rated tires and the PSI you were running. Did you even air down? Simply going down to 20 PSI will make it way softer to ride in and won't affect clearance that much. Going up 1" in tire size is not going to change that, but going to a C-range tire will for sure.

Additionally, I have been in very few lifted trucks that are more supple than a functional stock suspension on a GX. Most lift kits introduce considerable stiffness and it is NOT nicer to ride in offroad, you have to go slower... and you feel every bump. They are designed to keep bouncing to a minimum.... Unless you're getting into high end adustable reservoir shock kits.

Your ass looks a little saggy. No air suspension I assume? Consider Firestone coil-rite bags in the rear. Otherwise, I would leave it alone and spend the money on a decent light-weight (synthetic) winch and a minimalist "hybrid" bumper that won't affect MPG too much OR a rear locker. Either of those will get you way more places than a lift combined with ½" more axle clearance from 285s.

If you're dead set on suspension, ARB/Dobinson's >>> Ironman IMO. Aussie stuff is made in house in Australia. Dobinson's in particular has a ton more selection on springs for sizing and ride characteristics. Ironman = Chinese ARB/Dobinson's knockoff. I think of Ironman like the Harbor Freight of off roading parts; similar to "pro comp".

No matter what you do, there will always be other trucks that perform better. Consider what you really want before dumping money into mods. Function or form?

Last edited:
I have the Ironman FCP kit on my GX470 and use my GX in a similar way as yours (DD with off-roading and towing). I went with the lowest load setting for the front and rear coils and it is stiffer than stock and squats very little when loaded up with a few hundred pounds of camping gear. Unless you are also adding front/rear bumpers, fridge, RT tent, etc, I'd stick with the +0-110 lb rate springs. Or, as mentioned above, get the +0-110 lb rate springs and throw in a set of Firestone bags if you still get sagging when you load up with camping gear and bikes.

Regarding overall Ironman quality, the FCP shocks are super-beefy (2.8" shock body), rebuildable at home, and I have been very happy with how the setup handles on the highways, rough dirt roads (where it really, really shines compared to stock suspension) and off-road (more articulation). It was an great upgrade compared to stock and the GX is way more controlled and less floaty in every situation, although the ride is a bit stiffer (which I personally like). The fit/finish/quality is very good and the FCP shocks have been well-tested by the 4Runner and Land Cruiser folks for quite some time.

Last edited:
I do like Aussie suspensions, they know how to make them rugged. I am happy with the Ironman FCP I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom