Ford Another Mustang.......my 1969 coupe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It now starts, runs, and charges thru the new wiring harness. The gauges are functional now too. Seeing 40 psi of oil pressure at cold idle.
Next will be all the lights. I'll have alot of extra wires, that will get used in the future as I build the car.
20260927_094340.webp
 
I now have working tail lights, gauge lights and tachometer. The last dash wiring for this round is the turn signal switch. I am going to tie off all the extra wires behind the glove box.
After that I need to terminate all the front lights to there locations. Extra wires will be stashed for later use.
20260927_155256.webp
 
Doing some engineering to get all the essentials wired up with this Painless 12 circuit harness designed for FJ40, Scout, Bronco, or hot rod. I got it with a project 40 I bought years ago. I love when being a parts hoarder works in my favor.
I also got a rubber plug kit of ebay. Quick and easy with instant gratification.
20260929_185404.webp
20260929_185423.webp
20260929_185409.webp
 
Was really trying to get enough wiring done to go for a cruise tonight. I am running into too many issues......so that's not happening. I get it done tomorrow and hope to go to the Saturday cruise night.
I was amazed to find this much dirt behind the head light. Crazy for a street driven car.
20261002_180915.webp
20261002_190530.webp
 
Got all the front lights working. Ditched the fancy led flasher modules. Now everything functions properly. I ran the car the other day and confirmed it was charging and regulating. Saw 13.15 volts at idle.
Today with the key on but not running......the regulator burned up. It seemed to smoke, even with the key off, until I disconnected the battery. It's possible it stopped burning after the key was off, but was hard to tell. I wasn't taking any chances.
I checked and double checked my wiring and connections.....all correct. I got a couple extra regulators and bought a new pigtail connector. Gonna try that. I heard people have had issues with these repop regulators.
Seats and steering wheel back in the car.
20261003_111623.webp
20261003_124106.webp
20261003_130747.webp
 
Regulator number 2.......smoked again. It was the same cheapo repop. The keyed exciter wire seems to be causing the issue. I unplugged that and no more smoke or heat at the regulator. Since it doesn't trigger the alternator.....I have no changing.
Honestly I might just cheat and buy a modern higher output internally regulated one. Simplifies the wiring in that area.
I did go for a test drive. It needs some tuning. Got alittle hot too. I keep reminding myself......I do this for fun.....i do this for fun. Damm car better start cooperating....lol
 
Yeah....I am glad it only toasted the regulator and no wires. Everything electrical functions except no charging cause the regulator does not know to turn on without the exciter.
Anyways, I went to the swap meet this morning. I scored a matching high beam headlight bulb for only $5 nos in box. Same brand as the good one in the car. Now all the headlights are lighting.
 
Great find at the swap meet. Made the trip worth it right there. I still use mechanical voltage regulators on my old stuff or good quality NOS or NORS I find on eBay if solid state. I even bought used good ones and they have been on the vehicles for years.
 
Went for a decent cruise. I still got alot of work to do in the tuning department. I also need a better fan and a shroud. It gets hot.
I was able to do a few nice brake stands. I need to go back and see the rubber marks.....lol
20261004_113604.webp
20261004_113614.webp
20261004_113630.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom